5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling read.
'Listening In' is a novel that made me feel I was doing just that: listening in on the fascinating world of therapy/counselling, and on the lives and thoughts of Patrick and the other characters. I found it to be not only a compelling read but full of insights and issues that made me think. It is a book that lingers for being both thought-provoking and entertaining.
Published on 1 Jun 2009 by Mrs. J. Davison

3.0 out of 5 stars Listening In by Kevin Chandler
I started reading this book whilst on holiday in Sardinia. By the end of the week I'd only managed to read half of it, so I bought the Kindle verson on my return home. I enjoyed the book but was slightly disappointed with the ending. Even so, I enjoyed the read and would recommend it as a good holiday read.
Published on 15 July 2012 by Lesley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling read., 1 Jun 2009
Mrs. J. Davison (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down.., 27 April 2009
Lorelie (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I read an article that Kevin Chandler had written in April's edition of Therapy Today it was absorbing and well written piece so I bought 'Listening In'. I did not put it down until I had finished it. As a counsellor the story pushed a few buttons for me and I know I will be reading it again soon. I hope Mr Chandler has more books to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly absorbing, 21 Jun 2009
S. Dawson (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This is a well-written and intriguing novel which allows the reader to "listen in" to a host of believable characters and their problems. It opens the door to the therapy room and provides a valuable insight into the world of the therapist. The book is written from a refreshing perspective which reveals that in the minefield of human relationships, the experts do not always equip themselves with sufficient body armour to withstand the shells and are as likely to be maimed as the rest of us. A thoroughly absorbing read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing insight into humanity, 21 Jun 2009
B. Warden (Niort) - See all my reviews
An intriguing and interesting first novel which gives an insight into the world of therapy. The author captures the humanity of the characters which leads you to become engrossed in their lives and problems. The novel is difficult to categorise but is a thoroughly enjoyable read and provides an interesting slant on how the experts can be as flawed as the rest of us. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful view into the world of a male counsellor, 5 Jan 2010
G. Fielder (WINDSOR, Berkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A great read for anyone remotely intrigued by what the world of a counsellor is like outside the therapy room as well as inside it.

The interaction between professional and private worlds are explored in a thoroughly believable way. All the characters are very human and so both flawed and gifted, but it is the way the main protagonist engages with his difficulties as they unfold that kept me glued to this book.

Also an insightful view into some of the challenges faced by male counsellors in an area of work seemingly dominated by females. The counsellor in this book is aware of the potential for erotic attraction between himself and his clients (not that that is limited to male counsellors) and how that threatens ethical boundaries. He also explores his wife being the main breadwinner and the impact on his relationships.

A key theme is how fostering genuine, intimate and non-judgemental relationships in one's professional life affects one's private relationships and indeed one's self relationship. Also considered are the parallels between the talking therapies and the world of prostitution. Where in both cases a deeply intimate one to one service is provided in private, for money and high levels of confidentiality are necessary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 31 May 2011
A delightful, page-turner of a story, no psycho-babble, yet with a profound understanding of the work, beautifully puncturing the idealised view of the therapist. Compassionate, well written, insightful & fun. I may not work in exactly the same way, but I respect the way of working described and it gave me food for thought. Whilst never mentioned explicitly, it highlights the importance of firm boundary management.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book., 25 April 2014
This review is from: Listening In - A Novel of Therapy and Real Life (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book assuming it was more of a study type. But I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm on the brink of starting my level four or maybe the foundation degree in counselling - and this book really brought a new light onto the subject. Loved it !

5.0 out of 5 stars very deep,, 17 April 2014
To read about a person who is tearing himself down to build up his true understanding of himself has been absorbing fascinating, and moving, definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life decisions, 1 Oct 2009
An excellent read that makes it a page turner novel with a story line that holds its own apart from the therapy context. Knowing the "inside" and "outside" of therapy this is spot on, fascinating, excellent perception and not OTT navel contemplation or overly voyeuristic. Delighted about the humour attached to "how do you feel" concepts. A book about journey and in part isolation; eagerly awaiting the follow up.

5.0 out of 5 stars What really goes in therapy, 28 Jun 2011
Brilliant read.

Flawed hero who is also a good therapist.

If you have ever wondered what really goes in therapy, this book is wonderfully true-to-life.

I am a therapy fan - I loved the book.

My partner is suspicious of therapy - he said the book gave him more understanding about what therapy is all about.

It is not great literature. I could critique.

But I won't: it is a damn good read. A page-turner. Recommend.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›