on 13 March 2014
There is no question that Broadwalk Empire is possibly the greatest series since Band Of Brothers, and I for one am in Awe of how goo it is, However.....

The discs are faulty!
I have been on forums and have found hundreds of people with the same issue, the Chapter Menu does not work, and when selected the dics shuts down and the player freezes.
This is why the set is so cheap?
I am keeping them, as you can skip through the episodes but i have missed and over shot episode 5 because i did no know it was on the disc in the player.
So, brillinat show, horid product, not Amazons fault, but HBO need to be strung up for this really.
discounts on future products maybe??? no, i doubt it!
on 10 October 2013
Boardwalk Empire is a true gem, a gift to your senses. Cleverly written, visually stunning, wonderfully acted. It's Scorsese meets HBO, what can only result in a grand production and a superb blu-ray edition.

The seasons 1-3 boxset are presented in separated cases per season and all wrapped in a sleeve box. Each season includes 5 discs in the same high quality case with a nice artwork on them.

We really need to praise the work done here, the native 35mm format really brings together the formidable cinematography and the blu-ray transfer is just fantastic. The inmersion in the 1920's Atlantic City is complete.
The staggering photography is presented in a sharp, neat picture. The definition and the colours are just perfect.

In the audio field, the lossless DTS-HD 5.1 mix is what you would expect from an HBO product. Crisp sound, nice panoramics, perfectly matches the visual quality standard of the series.

In addition we find numerous extras, interviews, documentaries and other featurettes, all presented in HD aswell.

Personally, this is one of the best tv productions I've ever seen, and so is the blu-ray edition. Right up there with Band of Brothers, The Pacific and Game Of Thrones. Highly recommended.
on 13 September 2014
Great acting, costumes & scenery. Characterisation of alot of the characters could be better, however this has allowed every facet of Nucky Thompson to be explored in great detail, which is the most important thing to do. Like Sopranos, this series is missing an adversary with equal gravitas to the main character. If they had, then they'd both be 5 stars. Great show. Not many dramas on telly match this series for style & realism.
Steve Buscemi is a brilliant front man for this show. Set in the days of prohibition, this shows one corrupt mans fall into pure evil. There is too much flesh visible in some episodes but you cannot knock the writing or the directing. This show is simply too much at points, but you cannot help wanting to see the next episode. Can't wait for season 4!
on 2 February 2014
I had heard so many people talking about this programme but had never heard of it. I decided to buy my husband the box set for Christmas and after watching the whole box set every night for two weeks we were hooked. Steve Buscemi is amazing as Nucky Thompson.
on 26 February 2014
I'll still give it 5 stars as I agree with almost every other reviewer about the quality of this production.
BUT....... why does it take a minimum of 11 button pushes every episode just to get to the subtitles.
Why are so many other languages made easier to access than English?
As you might have guessed I am an old guy, and the thing is I cannot be sure that I have enough time left for all these button pushes for every episode. You do the maths :- it is 36 episodes Multiplied by 11. No actually it is worse than that because every 3rd episode I have to change the disk, except that I do not realise that ( as I said, I am an old guy ) until after I've gone through my button marathon. Then next disk and you have start all over again.
Rant over, normal service will resume soon.
on 4 September 2014
Excellent drama series. Historically accurate well written, brilliantly acted and directed. We also have the CDs and can't wait to get series 4&5.
We watched it first on Sky Atlantic home of excellent American drama.
on 23 February 2014
If you are a history buff or love old fashioned music or style, there is nothing better than Boardwalk Empire. The gangster culture and the Prohibition backdrop makes for perfect storytelling and the characters, of which there are many, are fantastic. The intertwining of real historical characters and new creations is done precisely and perfectly, to the extent that anything could be real! It can be confusing to the casual watcher, but hang in there for the big payoff anyway!
on 27 April 2014
Brilliant but very violent and I can't wait for the next season to come out in box set this summer
on 28 April 2014
The series itself is excellent and I am thoroughly enjoying it. The reason for only having one star reflects the irritation I feel every time I watch an episode, as the Chapter menu does not work and causes the player to freeze. When it first happened I thought I would only have one faulty disc. Silly me, they're all like that, and apparently I'm not the only one to experience this problem as it is quite common. Come on HBO, you make great TV - shame to let it down with shoddy discs!