VINE VOICEon 10 March 2010
Bought this to upgrade a HP desktop running Windows 7 to 1Gbps ethernet. This PCI adapter was easy to install, was recognized straight away by Windows 7 with no drivers to install, CD to use or anything and is based on a Realtek (reliable) chipset.

Only issue I have is that it was a big bigger than the hole in my desktop, meaning the clip on the ethernet cable sometimes becomes stuck on the case. This isn't much of an issue if you don't unplug the cables often.

An item well worthy of 5 stars. Thanks Edimax.
on 26 July 2014
I had little expectations of this device, as Ethernet over USB did not seem to be the best way to get high throughput. However, it worked just as expected, although I did need to update to the driver from the ASIX (the actual chip manufacturer) Web site as the Edimax CD was a year or two out of date. I chose the USB 2.0 device as it was cheaper, folk have reported problems with USB 3.0, and the socket I had was only USB 2.0 anyway.

I have a rather specialist application (weather satellite data over EUMETCast) with a /lot/ of multicast data, and this device was the only one I've found which handles the multiple join/leave requests generated by the TelliCast software correctly.

As this is the only device of the type I have, I have not compared it to similar.
on 20 November 2013
I got this because it was cheap and so I had little to lose, but hoped it may solve a problem I had that I wanted to connected my Asus Windows 8 tablet (x86 version not ARM) via a wired connection.

My tablet does not have a full size USB port to accommodate this adapter, but connecting it via a USB OTG cable into the micro usb port of the tablet worked perfectly. No drivers were required it just worked.

I wasn't so lucky on my iMac (running OS X 10.9). While it recognised the device and seemed to think a valid connection was made no traffic seemed to be passing through it. The driver did not make any difference but I stopped trying pretty quickly as I had really got it for my Windows tablet so didn't particularly care about the Mac.
on 2 December 2013
I bought this to use with a Windows 8 laptop that didn't have an ethernet port.

It was easy to install and works well, so it's a thumbs-up from me.
on 25 March 2015
Edimax produces some very fine products.

I bought this one, because the WiFi on my Macbook Pro tended to increase the computer temperature, during the summer period.
Now I have this permanently attached on a USB 3 hub. I have gigabit speeds (60mb/sec is common) and no heating issues.

This device needs a driver to function, at least in OS X. But the experience has been flawless.
Highly recommended.
on 17 May 2014
WiFi reception poor through in bedroom due to it being an old property with thick walls - Adapter worked straight away with my Android TV box. Paired up with mains power line networking streaming is now flawless. Just what i wanted!
on 7 February 2015
Ideal bit of kit for my Chromebook.
on 14 March 2014
Nothing but good things to say about this card.

Solid, expected Gibabit throughput and a great price.

I'd happily buy another should the need arise.
on 21 December 2013
Excellent , with quick delivery, and worked straight away with no problem. Just what I wanted to replace the ethernet socket on my computer with this USB version.
on 19 April 2016
Needed to add second Ethernet and this does the job fine. Fitted into empty slot, seitched computer on and Windows 10 recognised and set it up instantly.

See one answered question