4.0 out of 5 stars IT'S JUST A HOOK
Beth(Rebecca Hall) is a woman who aspires to be a cocktail waitress in Vegas. She has both brains and looks. She ends up working for Dirk, a bookie (Bruce Willis) who she develops feelings. Dirk has a jealous wife Tulip (Catherine Zeta-Jones) and a bad side when he loses, which causes Beth to get a job elsewhere. Beth eventually gets into trouble and needs help...
Published 18 months ago by The Movie Guy

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling
One of the worst films I've ever watched half of (the only reason we got that far was my new flatmate's politeness in thinking I must be enjoying it. I eventually asked her if she was enjoying it and she was utterly relieved to be able to be honest.)

Published 7 months ago by Miss I G Woods

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling, 26 Feb 2014

Awful script; the film doesn't feel it is going anywhere; the pace is utterly pedestrian; boring; aimless; there doesn't seem to be any point in them having made the film. Quite how they got Catherine Zeta-Jones and Bruce Willis on board is beyond me.

The premise had seemed interesting but as I say, the script is terrible. This is a flop of the first order.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lay the Favourite, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Lay the Favourite [DVD] (DVD)
I was very disappointed with this movie. They say "Laugh Out Loud funny I don't think so.
My husband and I both thought it was boring and I like Bruce Willis

4.0 out of 5 stars IT'S JUST A HOOK, 28 April 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

The film is based on a true story, so you didn't know where it is headed. The downfall of the film is that it has a narrow appeal. It is basically a modified chick flick. But it is for chicks who know something about book making. The phrase "lay the favorite" means betting against the favorite, i.e. you always take the points and the underdog, you never give points. Bookies make their money by having a balanced book. They need the same amount of money bet on a team as they do against it. They make their money from taking "the juice" which is a percentage of the winnings. If the juice is 10% and you bet $50 even money, you will net $40 in return. In order to balance their books, they will have to move money around and make bets with other books or alter the point spread. The point spread has more to do balancing the books then it does the ability of the teams involved which is why it sometimes changes from the beginning of the week to the end of the week. This allows a smart better to straddle his bet. The key to book making is to do the math and bet with your head, not your heart.

It is not an inside look at the gambling industry per se, but it gives you enough of a glimpse that you feel you need to know what is going on in order to enjoy the movie. The most unbelievable aspect of the film is that with all the money Dirk and his wife had, she drank Beefeaters Gin. I enjoyed Bruce Willis in this role. Rebecca Hall was refreshing. A light chick flick for people who know something about gambling.

Parental Guide: F-bomb, nudity (Jo Newman, Laura Prepon - Donna from "That 70's Show")

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bet on it, 4 Jan 2013
J. Morris "Josh" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Lay the Favourite [DVD] (DVD)
Lay The Favourite (LTF) is the story of Beth Raymers real-life memoir of the same name. It follows our Beth (played by Rebecca Hall - The Town) as she works her way around the sinuous and shady world of bet-making bookies, starting with Dink (Bruce Willis - Looper) in Las Vegas moving down the scale to the even shadier New York bookie Rosie (Vince Vaughn - Wedding Crashers) and having to deal with her feelings for Dink and the scorn incurred from his wife Tulip (an unrecognisable Catherine Zeta-Jones - Rock of Ages) - when a client Beth represents welchs on his debt, he uses the threat of Federal involvement to scare her off, but Beth will not be shaken so easily, will she make a name for herself in this cut-throat industry?

Where to begin? Rebecca Hall is great in LTF; she is sexy yet eloquent enough to pull of the slightly more technical side of the job. She carries LTF despite her ditsy mannerisms; Bruce Willis is OK but nothing special in his role as an aging bookie whilst Vince Vaughn really phoned this one in - he wasn't funny or entertaining for the entire 94-minute bit.

Consequently, LTF really feels a bit contrived as far as stories go; they skim over the technical side of how the book-making works; content with onscreen stacks of money and shouting at television screens showing sporting events to fill in the substance. Tulip's complete reversal in opinion of Beth is a bit nonsensical and Dink just seemed to be a pretty anaemic character. There is a completely tacked-on love-interest for Beth (Jeremy played by Joshua Jackson - Fringe) that is intangible and uninteresting and the cinematography is instantly forgettable - not inherently bad - but nothing memorable.

There are a couple of meaningless twists along the way, but ultimately I had no real interest in the protagonists or their outcome, especially when the credits are accompanied by black & white text on screen explaining the ultimate fate of the characters - Beth went on to get her degree and become a writer, which is such a tangential jump to the story we just saw that it makes no sense; she was passionate about gambling, wanted to be in it so much and was good at it, so when did the change of heart occur?! Nonetheless, I'm not actually that concerned, with a $26.5 million budget and a box-office figure of a mere $21,000 generated (from 61 screens!!!) I definitely would not put my money on this horse. Avoid.

2.0 out of 5 stars A little bit tiring, 10 Jun 2014
Watched it since available for online streaming thankfully but would not have sought it out otherwise - it is about game betting world. Most ppl would probably not like it although i don't think it was a dreadfully bad film (many famous face casts), just need patience i guess. Rebecca Hall plays a bimbo role and completely changes her voice to a squeaky one which sounds very strange with her usual low pitched voice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Lay the Favourite [DVD] (DVD)
Shame, this is a good story but it is badly acted in parts, and has a very irritating lead actress.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the usual Willis, 5 Oct 2013
This review is from: Lay the Favourite [DVD] (DVD)
Difficult to rate DVDs as we all have our own opinions. Quite clever film some good actors but not Bruce Willis normal style. Arrived in good contrition.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little boring..., 4 Jun 2013
This review is from: Lay the Favourite [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this film with a few friends on a friday night thinking it would be a good film as I really like bruce willis films..I have to say I was a little dissappointed and found the film boring. So boring, in fact that half way through we abandoned it.

4.0 out of 5 stars ok, 3 May 2013
This review is from: Lay the Favourite [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this to watch when I do the ironing. It was a 'fun' film & I like Bruce Willis so suitable for purpose

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not about money. Funny., 29 April 2013
W. Rodick (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lay the Favourite [DVD] (DVD)
Having recently viewed all of Luck [DVD] I was not expecting much from this film. I knew it had Stephen Frears directing. That was enough for me.

Where 'Luck' failed for me was I could not always grasp who owned what and why. Even when horse racing was happening I was not always sure what was at stake. But I did enjoy the insider knowledge of jockeys on horses and the placing of bets at a USA racetrack.

'Lay the Favorite' is a different animal. More of a rom-com than gambling flick, no doubt aided by the title's double entendre. There is something naïve about all the characters. Simple even. And yet their intelligence is what keeps them alive. Alive-Plus you might say. It is the story of a young woman with a great body and a brain that occasionally comes into play. But she has a good memory for numbers. You know the rest.

I could bet on the movie as a metaphor for the stock market zero conscience attitude. In the movie people are important. But the ending is pure Hollywood. And I would lose my bet. Lose a fiver. Enjoyably.

Lay the Favourite [DVD]
Lay the Favourite [DVD] by Stephen Frears (DVD - 2013)