5.0 out of 5 stars Superb value for money
Published 23 months ago by Kenneth J. Morris

3.0 out of 5 stars Wow, what can I say..
I haven't been able to give this laptop 5 stars because I've only owned it for about 3 hours, but over that time it has completely eclipsed the utterly shoddy Toshiba laptop which I bought a couple of weeks ago.

The build quality seems STRONG, the design is sleek, the keyboard is phenomenal, the touchpad is smooth and slick.

Also for those worried...
Published on 6 Aug 2012 by R Longstaff

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb value for money, 8 Sep 2012
Kenneth J. Morris (Burton-upon Trent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lenovo G580 15.6 inch laptop - Dark Bronze (Intel Core i5 3210M 2.5GHz, 6Gb RAM, 750Gb HDD, DVDRW, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) (Personal Computers)
I purchased this laptop as a stand-by for my desk-top. It's so quick to start up and has such a bright display that I now prefer it to my old workhorse. The keyboard is a delight and all-in-all I've got speed, image quality and overall power for a fraction of what I paid a couple of years back for my tower. As a none-to-keen user of track pads I purchased an Amazon Wireless Mouse/mimi-dongle which is excellent and I've also acquired plug-in HD and CD/DVD units so as to fully emulate the tower with respect to back-ups and disc copying. The G580 has 2 x USB 3.0 (as well as 1 x USB 2.0) ports which contribute to speedy performance.
The only downside was the Lenovo documentation. Just a set-up chart and a "manual-to-print" from the pre-loaded HD. "In-the-box" instructions on how to find the MAC code/set-up the wireless link would have saved me hours.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wow, what can I say.., 6 Aug 2012
R Longstaff (UK) - See all my reviews

Also for those worried about the hinge weakness that plauged its predecessor the G570, this issue has now been addressed.

EDIT: I have now had to return this item for a refund. Following an incident whereby my headphone jack prysed its way thru the cheap plastic which makes up the shell of this laptop, the motherboard failed. I have no way of knowing if the two incidents were related but they happened about a week apart.

3/5 stars!

3.0 out of 5 stars Built down to a price, 2 Jun 2014
Made a bit of a mistake with this one. Previous purchase of B570 lulled me into thinking all lenovos were of good quality build. The G580 proved that to be wrong. Specs good for price but it feels cheap and sound system is awful despite various attempts to remedy.
Well lesson learnt and will make sure to try before buying next time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo G580, 19 Nov 2012
The Lenovo G580 is a brilliant laptop - I've loved it ever since buying it on 21.09.12. However, 20 days after I bought it, the battery declared itself dead, which I have discovered is far from unusual with Lenovos. After telephoning Lenovo, the supplier said that Lenovo wanted the dead battery and would send them a replacement to be then forwarded to me. Almost six weeks later, and not a cheep. Nobody seems to be able to get me a battery; it's working fine on mains power, but I didn't want another desktop! Be afraid of Lenovo batteries! Be very afraid! Other forums warn about the replacements not being much better! Clearly a serious manufacturing issue. But the actual computer - it's a cracker. It gets five stars; however, a minus category for the battery [and Lenovo-in-regard-to- batteries] appears to be needed.