5.0 out of 5 stars How do they keep on doing it?
Published 22 months ago by N. A. Davies

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Great......
Sounds That Can't Be Made, the band's first studio album of new material since Happiness Is the Road, has been a good couple of years in the making. Which is, as many of us know, actually kind of par for the course for Marillion these days. As Rothers states on the special edition DVD, it was a good idea not to rush back into the studio after "Happiness.." and to take...
Published 22 months ago by P. stephens

5.0 out of 5 stars How do they keep on doing it?, 18 Sep 2012
N. A. Davies (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sounds That Can't Be Made (Audio CD)
Twenty three years ago I was 19 years old. I was doing a job i enjoyed in retail and was interested in football, computer games, and that was about it. Fast forward 23 years I bare no resemblance to that person, much older, hopefully wiser and the interests I had then are nothing like what I have now. I am now much more socially aware, better travelled and more mature - I had evolved.
Why am I telling you this? 23 years ago Steve Hogarth joined Marillion. And like me, they have grown. They started off with Seasons End which still had some hallmarks of the 'old' Marillion. It even had the jesters hat on the cover! Like me, they had to find their new identity, struggled a bit, toying with commerciality of Holidays in Eden. Then the return to prog type with (the wonderful) Brave and through a fight against themselves with (the equally brilliant in a different way)Radiation. Then, just like me, they started to feel happy in their own skin and ignored pretty much everything else, the record company, the charts, the urge to 'be big' and began to evolve into the majestic beast of a band their loyal fanbase respect so much, with the release of a series of sublime material, Afraid of Sunlight, This Strange Engine, Marbles, being the highlights, at least for me.

So where are we now? Well I'm thinning on top, thickening around the waist a bit yet still wait expectantly for the next installment of the Marillion journey. On release days, I feel like a kid again, the waiting for Amazon to deliver akin to days of yore waiting for your parents to let you into the front room to see if Santa has been on Christmas morning.

Many people have described each track so I wont bother. I will just give my opinions and hope you feel the same way. With Sounds that cant be made, Marillion have delivered (yet another) set of highly emotional, evocative, beautiful pieces of music. The highlights for me? The sprawling 17 minute Gaza, a clash of ideology, religions, set against a beautiful backdrop in violent times.

Sounds that cant be made - the song, insistant beat awash with soundscapes and melody that Marillion turn out in their sleep, and thats not an insult, the ability to create tidal waves of emotion seem so natural to the band.

Montreal, the journal of the band on tour miles from home yet so connected by the love of the fans, and the bond of home, that sprawls across 14 minutes of pure bliss.

And then the cherry on this most best of cakes The Sky above the Rain - a stark and candid view of a stalling stale relationship that hits very hard, very low, and brought a genuine tear to the eye of this world weary 42 year old.

Marillion have been with me since my teens, I was a kid when Market Square Heroes jolted me from teenage angst. I was there when Fish and Co blasted out Kayleigh to 80,000 fans at Wembley Stadium in the 80's. I too felt the unease at Fish's departure and then the relief around the time of Brave when I realised that the band had chosen so wisely in H and that we were in safe hands. I too marvelled at King, supported the band as they used the internet to establish a viable alternative to the traditional press. I too sent my money in to buy an album they hadnt even written yet.
We've been there through thick and thin, and how are we rewarded? With music of the utmost quality, that will travel with me the next 23 years. My only hope is that Marillion are there to provide the soundtrack.

Thanks guys, I really mean it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great place to start, 10 Feb 2013
This is my first taste of Marillion - a fabulous album, deeply modern, and emotionally authentic. I played it to my wife - without revealing who it was - and she loved it. "Is it the new David Bowie?" But Bowie can't offer match the emotional literacy of the lyrics, or the musical development each song offers.

Music of immense restraint and power, and great beauty, by skilled songwriters.

5.0 out of 5 stars marillion rediscovered, 25 July 2014
D. Fenton (Lancashire. UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sounds That Can't Be Made (Audio CD)
I used to enjoy Marillion back in the mid 80's and when Fish left the band I thought well that's that. Well, I recently read a couple of reviews of Sounds That Can't Be Made, on the strength of those reviews I bought a copy. Wow, what a great record, I was amazed by the quality of this album, most bands do tend to steadily drop off in quality of output over the years but this is one great album. On the strength of it I also bought Marbles and Brave and have bought tickets for their gig in Manchester that is planned for December. That's quite an impact. I can't think of one weak track off the album, Sounds, Pour my Love, Lucky Man and The Sky above the Rain are probably my favorite's but it is superb throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is it!!!, 18 Sep 2012
Stotty (Bolton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sounds That Can't Be Made (Audio CD)
A bit of as gap between studio albums has worked wonders for Marillion. 'Sounds That Can't be Made' is a wonderful set of tunes which drags the listener through just about every human emotion imaginable. Their music has always had the ability to do that, and they do it with some gusto here.
Opening track 'Gaza' is a juggernaut. 17 minutes plus of atmosphere, power, emotion and savagery which deals with growing up in the area and the politics involved. It isn't a slant on Israel. It's a balanced argument that makes the listener aware of what's going on there and of how unacceptable the situation is in the 21st century. This track will become a standout Marillion piece for years to come.
The title track is glorious. A synth driven rocker with lots of dreamy keyboards and the Marillion patented Steve Rothery guitar solo and rousing finale. It's my favourite track on the album.
'Pour My Love' is a nice mid-paced ballad with a Prince feel to it somehow. A good song to chill out to.
'Power' is the song that the band showcased first through YouTube and again, it's vintage Hogarth era Marillion; dark, moody and brooding with a big release in the chorus, plenty of Rothery guitar and big finale. A powerhouse of a track if you'll pardon the pun.
Next track 'Montreal' is another epic. Lyrically, it's pretty much a diary style trawl through a band visit to the city and the delights that are savoured whilst there. Ironically, the vocals and lyrics on 'Montreal' are probably the weaker elements of the song. Musically it's just stunning. Lush, dreamy keyboard soundscapes, a variety of guitar sounds that would have Steve Hackett salivating and a lazy rhythm section make 'Montreal' a song that you can drift off to.
'Invisible Ink' is a slightly shorter song, built around a fairly simple chorus. It's instantly catchy and a genuinely pleasant track.
'Lucky Man' starts slowly but builds nicely into an accessible rocker with a good, rowdy, singalonga-style chorus.
Closing track 'The Sky Above The Rain' is a stunning piece of music. Lyrically, dealing with a couple who, despite their love for one another, are drifting apart due to a lack of physical desire. The relationship has gone stale. There is a level of optimism though, as talking things through openly and honestly with passion may just yet save them. It's yet another wonderfully emotive, bitter-sweet track.
Marillion have found their niche with this music. 'Afraid of Sunlight', 'Marbles' and 'Happiness is the Road' are definitive masterworks of the Hogarth era, and anyone who loved those albums will delight at 'Sounds That Can't Be Made'.
I've always said that the aforementioned 'Marbles' is the 'Dark Side of the Moon' of its time. I'll go further and say that 'Sounds That Can't Be Made' is the 'Wish You Were Here' for a new generation.
It really is that good, so stop mucking about and buy a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling, 10 Mar 2014
M. Bamford (stamford, lincs, uk) - See all my reviews
I was a big Marillion fan from the Fish era and then even more so around the time of Brave and Afraid of Sunlight. I dropped away after the awful Radiation.

I just picked this one up after seeing all the good reviews on here and I'm buzzing with excitement after listening to it continuously all day.

If you are already aware of the joys of Steve Hogarth's voice and Steve Rothery's guitar, then this CD is as good as it gets. You listen to the climactic guitar soloing on Gaza and then you remember from the last time you listened to the CD that the next track is even better again and you thank Marillion for continuing to put out wonderful music.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound, 3 Mar 2014
Very Sound - This is a very special sound to me - A good progressive Rock example of today.
I really like the tune 'Maybe September'.
By the way I am a 55ish old fogey and after a lot of effort my daughter (17 ish) likes this (I think)

5.0 out of 5 stars A thing of beauty, 3 Feb 2014
This may well be the best album Marillion have, or will ever, make. On first listen it doesn't grab you by the throat, it just gently and insidiously draws you in. Repeated listens bring rich rewards. It just grows and grows. Listening to H sing you begin to realise that he is probably one of rocks best vocalists. He doesn't indulge in vocal pyrotechnics he simply sings from the heart and involves the listener in the emotion of the song.
For me the highlight is opening song Gaza. It's an amazing, courageous song. It builds gently to a wonderful crescendo with Steve Rothery's guitar providing the perfect counterpoint to H's heartfelt repeated refrain of 'it just ain't right'.
This album is chockfull of highlights. The band are absolutely in sync as musicians. No-one puts a foot wrong. How will they ever top this?

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown Away!!, 23 Jan 2014
This review is from: Sounds That Can't Be Made (Audio CD)
What a fantastic album!! I had not bought a Marillion album since the Fish-era until I bought this on the off-chance a few weeks ago. I have to say I am very pleasantly surprised as this is a fabulous bunch of songs which I can't stop listening to at the minute. I have just purchased 'afraid of sunlight'....

5.0 out of 5 stars Still at the cutting edge, 14 Feb 2013
P. Cook - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sounds That Can't Be Made (Audio CD)
Another fantastic album but you have to listen to it more than once to get into it. It has been worth the wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars music, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Sounds That Can't Be Made (Audio CD)
good brill what more can one say just good music from this group will be looking out for their next cd

Sounds That Can't Be Made
Sounds That Can't Be Made by Marillion (Audio CD - 2012)