5.0 out of 5 stars Works really well
Bought this phone to contact my family in Canada as Virginmedia charge a fortune for overseas calls. It was really easy to set up. The build quality is good and it has a rock solid connection to my network. The phone calls are totally clear with no background hiss or time lag. It sounds even better than my standard phone.

I agonized over this purchase for a day...
Published 23 months ago by Alan Spellman

3.0 out of 5 stars Good packaging, was difficult to setup
I received the 4088 today. I was a little apprehensive purchasing the product as the other customer reviews are Very polar (1 stars and 5 stars). People love it or hate it.

Firstly, the packaging and product are very nice, very smart (5 stars). You can see that they have used designers. Ignore all the silly comments about it doesn't sit snug on the base...
Published 13 months ago by Stephen Lawton

4.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Skype Calls, 8 Jan 2013
R. M. Ogden (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RTX DUALphone 4088 - SkypeTM and landline phone Black Brand New UK Version (Electronics)
Brilliant phone for making quality Skype and Skype out phone calls.

Connect to your router, input your skype account and off you go. If you have tried other pc-less skype phones you may have found them disappointing - this is a big step up and means you can receive and make skype / skype out calls as good as on a landline or mobile connected phone. Of course if you have a landline contract this phone will connect to your landline too.

I have had no problems with the firmware updating. It did this automatically when I added a second handset.

With this phone, I dont need to input my Skype details each time I use the phone or add a country prefix. So you can simply use it as yopu would a normal landline or mobile phone. You can select your skype contacts with ease, add new numbers as contacts and these then appear on your skype account wherever that is being used. You can have your Skype account signed on your PC, your mobile, your tablet and dualphone all at the same time and answer with whichever comes to hand.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but jury still out!, 8 Oct 2014
Paul (St Margarets at Cliffe, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Generally seems OK thus far although the Batts do not hold their charge. Better after I changed re-chargables but still not great. Call clarity is very good but as noted by others ring volume is quite quiet. Will shortly be relocating to mid Atlantic so that will be the proof of the pudding. I've also bought one for my 89 year old mother who has managed the technology reasonably well, but same batt issues as me.

3.0 out of 5 stars this handset could be better. doesn't ring very loud, 6 Oct 2014
this handset could be better. doesn't ring very loud, tones are limited, UI on the phone could be better. it works fine though, in call volume is fine and it is very reliable, will ring every time. pretty cool analogue line feature that let you plug in your existing line and recieve/make calls over it. can also conference a skype call with an analogue call.

1.0 out of 5 stars Best avoided!, 6 Oct 2014
My dualphone base station went faulty after only 2 years. Contacted the manufacturer RTX to see if that is normal but they just didn't seem to care and it appears they're content with their products having a very short lifespan. "it's out of warranty, tough luck!"
I'd be wary of purchasing any RTX products in future

3.0 out of 5 stars Software Poor, 26 Mar 2013
Gj Ledger - See all my reviews
Firmware version will not update despite using a very fast fibre link. Password will not save despite repeated attempts to do so as prompted by the system thus very frustrating as every time one is logging in I have enter the password......
Setup was also frustrating as eventually I had to run the base unit directly out of the main incoming hub, it would not work if I tried to set it up out of a wall port?? Handset screen Islam too small.

Upside is the call quality good but that's clearly dependent on the quality of link to the service provider and the WWW.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 22 Feb 2013
This was to replace an existing Skype phone made by GE which I have had for +/- 12 months as the keyboard was giving trouble and therefore I could not depend on it. From the description and due to the price I got the impression that this product was a more up to date phone and perhaps even better quality. The reality is, that it does not have the quality feel of the GE and the software is not as refined. I am now sorry I did not simply get another GE phone.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it I like it a lot!, 8 May 2014
My monthly bill for phone and broadband went up by £6 plus the cost of calls on average £15 I decided to try this phone Ok some reviews were on the negative side but I decided to give it ago.
The set up was not easy or straight forward ( about a hour of faffing about )but eventually I was connected to Skype went online credited £ 10 to the phone plus the free 80p credit that came in the box.All this was done on the 15/02/2014 a starting total of £10.80 and today 07/05/2014 there is still £2.80 of credit left. So am I happy with this phone a resoundng YES! I have not done this yet but download the Skype app to the families mobiles and then the calls are free another saving. The only downside is the requests from strange sounding people in my case females which causes the blue light to flash on the side of the phone that stays flashing 'til you delete the request, I checked on line and this is a common problem and not a lot can be done about it at the moment .
The phone will pay for itself in less than seven months.
I like it I like it a lot!

1.0 out of 5 stars Be aware of this - WORKAROUND, 15 April 2014
S. Vaughan - See all my reviews
Latest update. I've found a workaround so that the phone keeps ringing and you actually have enough time to pick up the call. TURN OFF VOICEMAIL - on the phone itself, not on Skype on your computer. There's no voicemail after that but at least you get enough time to answer the d*mn thing in the first place. It now rings and rings and rings until I answer it. hallelujah !

Amendment to my review below. The phone will only ring twice before going to voicemail. There is no point messing with your Skype client settings, the problem is with the phone software. RTX know about it, and have known about it for at least 2 years - the Skype forum is full of complaints. Unless you're as fast as Usain Bolt, the d*mn thing is USELESS. YOU MISS EVERY CALL and RTX don't seem to care.
So don't buy it and maybe they'll get round to fixing the problem.
A great product ruined by cr*p customer service

Bought this to replace our VOIP Voice Uconnect USB adapter which allowed us to use our normal phones with Skype & landline. Unfortunately the old Uconnect adapter only works with Windows XP and is now totally unsupported and there's nothing comparable in the market.
So we bought one of these.
Set up - it worked straight out of the box. I just had to log in to my Skype account and everything worked just fine.
The menu is very intuitive, easy to use and call quality is astonishing.
We only use it as a Skype phone so can't comment on quality of landline calls.
Will be buying an extension handset.

1.0 out of 5 stars Deceived by the 4088 dualphone description, 22 Mar 2014
M REDGROVE "Communicator by trade! Love this... (SEVENOAKS, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Anxious from the start when I saw the previous reviews. However, decided to risk as it appeared to be precisely what my parents needed. Bad decision! After difficult installation using the downloaded 86 page manual it seemed ok. But no, network connection lost each time I removed handset from the cradle.

Decided that I would therefore try at my house in Belgium, same problem! It appears that the technical requirements (not mentioned on packaging, anywhere) require a 'peer to peer' friendly router…whatever that may be!

Tried to return (admittedly after the normal allowed period) to LiGo, who categorically said unlucky, no can do! They offered to replace if fault found, but I just wanted rid of this piece of rubbish!

Effectively thrown 60+ pounds in the bin. Do not buy this - you'll regret it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality phone, 20 Mar 2014
It is easy to set up and the call quality is very good. I seem to have a software problem though as it gets stuck downloading contacts from the network.