5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of kit especially for the money
Published 20 months ago by Mr. Dh Nicholson

3.0 out of 5 stars Pro?
It is more then solid enough, and does what it is made for without problem. The picture
shows two knobs on the body, there are 3 (the third is hidden on the backside of the picture). The third one is smaller and is for adjusting rotation.
The second big knob was probably but on to adjust the drag on the ball, but the mechanics inside the head
are not good...
Published 22 months ago by marcabo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bit of kit especially for the money, 26 July 2013
This review is from: KS-0 Tripod Ball Head Ballhead + Quick Release Plate Small Compass for Professional Camera Tripod Camcorder DSLR Canon 700D 650D 600D 1100D 6D LF23 (Electronics)
I was initially a bit sceptical about this ball head as the prior reviews are not amazing, and I needed it to support a fairly big load at some strange angles, but I am pleased to say it seems to have absolutely no problem doing so. It can support my 600D with a 70-300mm lens with no problem whatsoever, and even if you push with some force on that load the ball stays locked in position. I was also concerned that the knobs being round would mean you couldn't get much purchase on them to tighten it, but even slightly tightening it is enough to hold my gear solidly in place.
It feels nicely made, and the knobs all do what they should, with the drag knob being a nice addition. All in all a great buy for under £20, where a Manfrotto equivalent would likely be close to £80.
Oh and the bit in the description which is creatively worded as "the Velbon's tripod need an extra part to fit the tripod amount" means it has a 3/8 inch thread so if your tripod or whatever has a 1/4 inch mount then you need to buy a converter for a couple of quid, no problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome! Though not without drawbacks, 6 Aug. 2013
I had bought an almost identical Kaavie KS-0 ballhead from a different seller a while back, and was really impressed with the quality - strong, metal parts, and even when plastic is used it is of good quality and does not feel like cardboard (unlike many other cheapo tripod heads that I have seen).
This tripod head feels even better, and is 2 pounds cheaper!

Pros:
-Solid construction, quality materials, quality building - feel safe putting my camera on here
-Can support fairly heavy rigs, so no need to worry about weight load
-Has a screw with a metal flap, like some manfrotto quick release heads I have seen - meaning you do not need a screwdriver to attatch the camera to the head (great for people who like to travel light)
-Small price, for such money you'd be lucky to get anything near such quality in most other heads

Cons:
-No spirit bubble! Or rather there is one, but on one of the side knobs - meaning it is only of use when shooting vertically, which for me means... never! Some may find this a real issue, I prefer to shoot most of the time by eye, although the bubble can still be useful at times (though not critical)
-Comes only with one quick release plate, and obtaining others is tricky - my other Kaavie KS-0 ballhead's release plate is slightly different size and shape it turns out, so although they look practically the same the plates do not work on different ballheads, thus ordering plates that work together from online is problimatic... the price of buying cheaper heads

Overall, I like it - a great addition to my equipment, this head now adorns the tip of my expensive manfrotto monopod - it is that good!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy Ball and Socket tripod head, 25 Nov. 2012
P. M. Karry (UK) - See all my reviews
This is an excellently priced product that will cope with heavy camera equipment (up to 8kg) . However, as I wanted an extra Quick Release Plate, I had to order that separately from eBay. It is put together with solid components and may need an Allen Key to firm up the screw that attachs the base plate, after being used a few times. Lovely item that is smooth in use, so much cheaper than many other similar heads needed to cater for heavy cameras.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value ball head, 13 Feb. 2014
Excellent ball head which seems to be very well made and finished. I also recently bought another ball head for my main tripod which cost more than three times as much and is not really any more useful.
This ball head is not 'silky' smooth, but it's not rough or in any way less than satisfactory. I intend to use it on a mini tripod which I take on holiday and this head is really overkill for the tripod.
IF you need a ballhead, this one is fine. It holds my EOS7 and lens without any problems.
It also came very well packed and well within the stated timescale.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have placed one Manfrotto Super Clamp onto my tripod and put a aluminium tube ..., 9 Nov. 2014
I have placed one Manfrotto Super Clamp onto my tripod and put a aluminium tube (from and old vacuum cleaner) into it. Then I put another Manfrotto Super Clamp onto oner end of the tube - connected with the Ball Head via Manfrotto Camera Stud. The PE bag containing the ballast was hanged on the other end of the tube. Counterbalance weight compensates the weight of the Super clamp, plus the Camera ball head plus my camera. I use this assembly as improvised extension arm to shoot the large flat items placed on the table using the tripod standing nearby. The vacuum cleaner tube length is adjustable - so is the distance of my camera from the tripod... I only have to adjust the counterbalance accordingly.

4.0 out of 5 stars So many are good for aiming a telescope but re-adjust themselves on tightening, 27 Jun. 2014
Big enough, strong enough, well made and remains in the position one locks it in. So many are good for aiming a telescope but re-adjust themselves on tightening, this is wonderful in not having that problem. Also useful in having a dedicated rotation adjust meant making it an al/azimuth. Could be better if supplied with a a good quarter to three eighths Whit adapter which cost mere pence. I recommend it for the Celestron C9 spotting scope

3.0 out of 5 stars Pro?, 12 May 2013
are not good enough for that. So both knobs work just for tightening the head, I guess its OK if you multidextrous

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 15 May 2014
Brilliant tripodhead. I have used it with a 1ds mk2 coupled with a 70-200 f2.8 and I could lock the camera securely in any position I wanted.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so good as most reviews say, 5 July 2014
Bought this one mainly because of positive reviews there, but I am dissatisfied with it.
1. After only one day of use the quick release plate got loose from the ball. It is being held by 1 hex screw. I was able to fasten it back with Allen key but only after my holidays when I came back home. Hope it will hold tight now.
2. "independent adjustment knobs" are not that independent as advertised. I was expecting that it would be enough to position and fasten the head with only one knob and use the other for friction control only. Unfortunately that is not possible. I always had to release both knobs before positioning the camera and always secure both to fasten it. Using only one knob does not provide smooth ball movements and stable locking.
I find Manfrotto 484 RC2 (predecessor of 494 RC2) much easier to use than this one as you can hold the camera with one hand and lock it with the other one. For this head you would need 3 hands.
3. If you are shooting in portrait mode you have to release all 3 knobs as otherwise you will not be able to reposition camera sideways.
4. While locking a positioned camera I noticed a slight movement of the camera downwards. That was not because of the camera weight as I was still holding it, but it was an issue with the mechanics of the head forcing it to move slightly. I noticed that with super wide canon 10-22mm lenses so I think with telephoto lenses that would be much worse.
5. It is big compared to much smaller Manfrotto 484 RC2, but gives less stability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2014