5.0 out of 5 stars Barney British empire
I found the book hilarious!!!!!!!
And suitable for any ages
And there were funny pictures which funnier captions and funny pages
Published 19 months ago by Laraludwig

1.0 out of 5 stars Biased and misleading
Published 21 months ago by J. Butler

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Barney British empire, 21 Dec 2012
This review is from: Horrible Histories: Barmy British Empire (Kindle Edition)
I found the book hilarious!!!!!!!
And suitable for any ages
And there were funny pictures which funnier captions and funny pages

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 3 Jan 2014
Mr. Boulter "swilson" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Horrible Histories: Barmy British Empire (Kindle Edition)
I loved reading this book all about my country and how big my country used to be and it was great. 5 stars for Terry deary

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 26 July 2013
great book was missing from a set I got so delighted to complete my box set my son loves these stories

1.0 out of 5 stars Biased and misleading, 4 Oct 2012
I was shocked and disappointed when I read this book. My two eldest kids love this series and on the whole I have found them informative and entertaining. There are inevitably some over-simplifications but few, if any, inaccuracies. But this book seems to wilfully present a view of the British Empire that not only focuses exclusively on the negatives, but also ignores the context - for example the fact that the British Empire followed on from the Spanish and Portuguese Empires and that Britain was competing with France and the Dutch to create theirs. I'm not suggesting for a moment that the terrible things that were done in the name of Empire should be glossed over, but they should at least be placed in context.

You want an example? Deary explains the circumstances (ie the brutish and stupid acts of the British) leading up to the Indian Mutiny, but he doesn't mention the Mutiny itself and the massacres of civilians. That's just perverse in my book. As Lawrence James points out in "Rise and Fall of the British Empire", only one Empire in history was dismantled voluntarily, and succeeded by a social club of ex members. And Niall Ferguson elegantly explains in "Empire" that the British Empire's contribution to stimulating world trade has create lasting benefits that must not be ignored.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nasty, Naughty and Truthful, 1 May 2006
Nobody likes to hear that they were once the bad guys...especially after they lost their Empire....Terry's book is exactly what it says on the cover...history with the horrid bits left in...my boy loves them and so do I.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 23 Jan 2013
Bookworm (Hereford, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my 6 year old son who is really interested in the British Empire and he has really enjoyed reading this book and has read it twice now!!! I would definitely recommend!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so much horrible as awful., 18 July 2011
As a big fan and enthusiastic childhood devourer of the HH series, I was deeply disappointed and a little disgusted by this one sided book. It paints a picture of pre-colonial world in which every country was a lovely little Liberal democracy (ruled by local people, not (say) the Mughal emperors, natch)until the nasty red-coats showed up and killed everyone. Noone's pretending that the Empire was all smiles and cuddly toys, but this book took the biscuit.

So nakedly political in its angle, so left-wing and so biased. Deary me.

1.0 out of 5 stars The author is a traitor, 18 May 2014
The writer of this book should be deported from this country, this is the sort of bigotry the Nazis wrote about the Jews.
Do not let young minds be brain washed by this trash.

1.0 out of 5 stars Borderline racism, 13 Jun 2011
As much as I enjoy all of the books and indeed find them interesting I found the level of negativity in this book quite startling compared to the others, rather than just facts and gory details he remarks of how brutal and horrible the British people were, though this is not why I give it a poor rating. To quote the book: 'Sadly some BRITISH people in the twenty-first century still believe that they are better than others'. There is no need for this statement in a factual history book and it is a statement than you can apply to any country in the world, it really suprised me how much poison was in this book as I generally enjoy the HH series of books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Leftist Nonsense, 31 Oct 2011
I am a teacher and I had this book in my classroom, allowing my children to read it until picking it up and flicking through it. Now it is removed from the classroom. This book propounds exactly the kind of miserable, self-hating post-colonial guilt which is contributing to the slow demise of our society. I completely agree that horrible atrocities were committed during these years, but the book is not just highlighting that, it is unrelenting in its criticism of Britain in general, both before and after the Empire.

It is quite obviously an attempt to indoctrinate children into a Leftist way of thinking - it is filled with guile towards Britain and other favourite hate targets of the Left such as the Christian Church. This is Deary's sinister way of getting back at right-wing historians such as Ferguson, of whom Deary says "Obnoxious people like Niall Ferguson write a book to prove that the British Empire was a good thing...He's a deeply offensive right wing man who uses history to get across a political point."

Such glaring hypocrisy is sickening. In child speak, Deary - Look in the mirror, mate.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›