4.0 out of 5 stars Splendid spoof on the fiction of paranoia
I read another book by Jesse Kellerman which I didn't like and which disappointed me, so I picked this one up with some trepidation.
I loved it! It's a marvellous spoof on so many of the current thrillers which may be fairly exciting but tend to make me think: 'Oh dear, not the CIA again doing their bit to save/ruin the world!"
For a start I liked the lack of...
Published 13 months ago by Penny Waugh

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst book ever
This book was so bad that I kept reading it thinking I must be missing something, surely it must get better else how did it come to be published?

Trust me it NEVER did get better. I have been left gobsmacked and like most other reviewers certain of only one thing ....... I will never waste my time or money on this "author" again.
Published 13 months ago by jeni

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst book ever, 2 Nov 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Spoof novels need to be funny, 27 Feb 2014
Spinoza (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'll Catch You (Paperback)
This is a spoof thriller novel. It has three major problems:

1) Sphere market it as a real thriller presumably because they felt sales would fall if they were honest on the jacket cover and they did not want to blow the story since for the first 100 pages it is interesting i.e before it turns to spoof. Obviously,in future, you need to be cautious about trusting Sphere as a publishing house.

2) The author's narcissism shines through. He does not mind serving up drivel to his audience showing real contempt for his readers.

3) Most importantly, it's not funny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Splendid spoof on the fiction of paranoia, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: I'll Catch You (Paperback)
For a start I liked the lack of blurb, and also the spoof reviews by currently famous authors on the books of the 'author' William de Vallee. Obviously something was up and taking the whole thing seriously just wasn't on.
The story chugged along merrily for a time, recounting the mainly down side of attempting to write books. Art Pfefferkorn in his youth wrote a book he thought was good and has written nothing since. When an unpublished manuscript by a dead friend comes into his possession he is tempted.
From there it is all downhill. Codes implanted in stories apparently leading to assassinations or worse until Art and his lover Carlotta are kidnapped, vilified and exposed to general mayhem and fear of death.
It is all good clean fun; my only criticism is that the Zladian element, particularly the poetry, just went on too long. Fifty pages less and it would have got five stars from me.
Art is a basically sad man who finds himself, for a time anyway.
As I said, I loved it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh sweet lord make it stop, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: I'll Catch You (Paperback)
I picked up this book in a 3 for £5 and feel heartily ripped off. It is utterly terrible, and possibly one of the WORST books I have ever read - and I have read Dan Brown novels - it starts off with an interesting premise but then just goes utterly bonkers and not in a good way. With plot contrivance, and stupidity and utter tedium following.

I am not surprised the back cover is worded as it is because to describe the plot would stop people from buying it and I am sure the alternate wording the publishers really wanted would have been along the lines of "For goodness sake don't buy this book it is terrible but the Author threatened to come round and make us listen to the audio version on permanent repeat if we didn't publish!"

In short do not buy this, move along, try something less painful like an all-over body wax perhaps?

1.0 out of 5 stars Total Rubbish, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: I'll Catch You (Paperback)
As other readers have commented the first 80 or so pages didn't go anywhere but was readable whilst you waited for a plot to materise but then it became total rubbish - a 5 year old could have written better!! It is the first and without fail the last time I will ever read one of his books!!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Annoying voice, 19 Sep 2013
D. Miller "My listening depends on where I am... (Chesterfield, Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I'll Catch You (Audio Cassette)
OK, so I am listening to this book at the moment. I am not sure who is reading it to me, but his voice, when speaking for Arthur makes the man seem like he has nothing to live for. This, in itself is making the book even less enjoyable than it might already have been. From almost the start, I had no idea where this book was going to take me, and half way through, I am still not certain, and not sure that I care. I have read/listened to other of Jesse's books, and never enjoyed them as much as his parents' books. His strategy seems to be completely different to theirs, but that is not a bad thing. I don't like the fictional countries, I'm sure he could have used real ones, no-one is going to check Wikipaedia for verisimilitude! Unlike other writers, none of his characters earn my respect or interest. His daughter is a bitch, he sounds like he wants to end it all, Jamieson has apperared in the middle of the book, but I don't remember him previously (that might be my failing!) All in all, I will probably contuinue to the end because I have no other book to listen to, right now. But I don't think I could muster the energy to actually pick the book up and continue to read it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Shocking waste of paper, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: I'll Catch You (Kindle Edition)
This is the worst book I have ever read, clearly a case of riding on the parents reputation, nobody else would have ever got this rubbish into print. It has potential in the first 50 or so pages then deteriorates into mindless waffle with a quick role up at the end. I skipped hundreds of pages with no loss of plot just so I could say I had finished it and could give it back to the library.

1.0 out of 5 stars worst book ive ever read, 5 Aug 2013
This review is from: I'll Catch You (Kindle Edition)
i have never read anything like this before and hope never to again, absolute rubbish!!!
this is the first jesse kellerman book ive tried and wont be wasting my time on any of his other titles. if there was an option in the ratings for no stars that is what i would give this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars WTF?, 7 July 2013
This review is from: I'll Catch You (Paperback)
My partner read this book, and then asked me to read. Not because he thought it was good, but because he wanted someone to go through the same thing he did.
At the start I actually quite enjoyed the read- it started off as a thriller about a failed writer, Arthur Pfeffercorn, plagiarising his dead friend's last manuscript and becoming a success. Then at page 80 or so it just became weird. But not in a good way. It was weird and nonsensical, confusing, annoying and quite irritating. It didn't make any sense whatsoever, and the read was rather frustrating as Arthur travels from the US to fictional countries of east and west zlabia and back in plot that felt like a 6 year old on drugs dreamed up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful - don't bother!, 4 Mar 2013
This review is from: I'll Catch You (Paperback)
This book starts well, but the further in you get, the faster it goes downhill. Currently struggling through West Zlabia and wondering whether I can be bothered to finish it. Just feels like I'm wasting my time waiting for anything interesting to happen. Having read several Jesse Kellerman books in the past, I expected more. Won't waste my money on him again. Maybe the clue was in the fact that even the publishers don't know what to say in the blurb on the back - even that is rubbish!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›