5.0 out of 5 stars More, give me more!, 27 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Blinding Knife: Book 2 of Lightbringer (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic, the character depth, the plot, the action, love everything about Mr Weeks and his writing. Don't often review books but couldn't bear that he only had 7 (highly starred) reviews for his latest masterpiece. Just seen the plan has been expanded from 3 books to 4 - which just means even more to look forward to. Unputdownable, read this one in 3 days flat (thank Orholam for being on holiday when it was released). Weeks sits easily next to Hobb, Brett, Eddings and co on my book shelves... And dare I say outshines most (except the genius of Pratchet of course but best not compare yourself to god himself just yet).

The most impressive thing I think is the whole concept behind the magic, I read a lot of fantasy and the luxin concept and uses is the first original system I've come across in a long long time. Now desperate for the third book, but no doubt a year or so to wait for that one (starts searching amazon already...)

5.0 out of 5 stars A ripping yarn!, 29 Oct 2012
Was really looking forward to this comming out as had thouroughly enjoyed book 1 and the authors prior trilogy - was certainly not disappointed, Weeks is a cracking writer who understands that for all the 'many shades of grey' brutal realism that seems to be so popular in modern fantasy (and dont get me wrong I also enjoy)what people really love in this genre is unbelievably powerful characters who do utterly amazing things, probably get the girl and almost certainly save the world in the process - add to that a great touch of comedy here and there (Kip in particular gets some great lines)and what you get with Weeks is a good old fashioned rip-roaring yarn! - couldn't put it down and was gutted when I hit the last page - hope the next one is well on its way Mr Weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and entertaining, 8 Nov 2012
Good read with all the elements of an engrosing fantasy novel but with original elements. The characters in his novels are always strong making them easy to get lost in and difficult to put down

5.0 out of 5 stars 'The Blinding Knife' by Brent Weeks, 9 Dec 2013
L M Hughes (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
Earlier this year 'The Blinding Knife' beat 'King of Thorns' and 'Red Country' to win the Gemmell Legend award. Since Joe Abercrombie is one of my favourite authors and Mark Lawrence's 'King of Thorns' is one of the best books I've read in 2013, I expected big things from Brent Weeks' fifth novel. And I'm pleased to say that he totally delivered them.

'The Blinding Knife' is the second book in the 'Lightbringer' series. It picks up where the first book, 'The Black Prism', left off, and seamlessly continues the story of Kip and company. Unlike a lot of second books, this one doesn't use info-dumps to convey information from the first book, and it doesn't feel like it's stalling or just filling in the gap before the big finale. Just like the first book, it's full of action and great characters, and there is always something happening that is both exciting and relevant to the plot.

What I liked most about 'The Blinding Knife' is that the characters continue to develop in interesting ways. My favourite character from the first books was Kip, and this book focuses a lot more on him, continuing what is essentially his coming-of-age story. Despite being the son of the most powerful man in the world, Kip has to constantly overcome obstacles: he's fat, he's illegitimate, he has little experience with using his magical talents, and he has enemies who are constantly working to use him to undermine his father. Weeks writes Kip's character in a way that makes him likeable and strong and yet also very human, the end result being that we spend most of the book hissing at his enemies and cheering him on.

The other characters are just as interesting. 'The Blinding Knife' introduces us properly to the Prism's father, Andross Guile, who harbours a mysterious secret and whose schemes run much deeper than anyone suspected. His slave Grinwoody is almost as villainous as he is (despite only featuring as a very marginal character), and the main `antagonist' - The Colour Prince - is actually quite sympathetic, his reasons for what he does being quite logical. Other characters from the first book feature again as PoV characters, and undergo very interesting character arcs: the main one here is Liv, who is struggling with the conflict between what she has learned and what she had previously spent her whole life believing. I was a bit disappointed that Karris was somewhat side-lined in this book, but I suppose you can't have everything.

I'm not a huge fan of cliff-hanger endings, and 'The Blinding Knife' leaves us on one hell of a cliff-hanger, but since the next book comes out next year I'm not too frustrated. I suppose.

The writing is smooth and captivating, the action scenes are brilliant and well-written, the main characters are three-dimensional, and the unique magic system is becoming more and more interesting the more we learn about it. I was originally annoyed at this book for being voted as better than 'King of Thorns': I'll now grudgingly admit that maybe, just maybe, it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Jun 2013
Absolutely fantastic book. May never have been more hooked on a series than I have been on this one. Cannot wait for the sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!!, 28 May 2013
I'm so engrossed in this I Cant wait for the next release in 2014. If you enjoyed the previous trilogy this is a must!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully Entertaining, 23 May 2013
I love all the books written by this author and this proved to be no exception. Mr Weeks storytelling ability is simply the bees knees as far as I am concerned. The twists and turns are many, intricate and satisfying. And he never takes the obvious route either. Simply gutted that the next instalment will not be available till next year...consoling myself by rereading and rereading....and rereading.
Two Thumbs Up as well as both my Big Toes. I heartily recommend for all fantasy lovers and book lovers everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars It progressively draws you in, 2 May 2013
Great concept. I got so into the first trilogy, it took me a while adapt to thenew world. But this is a thoroughly enjoyable read with deadpan humour and witty characters not unlike Joe Abercrombie. I love the character flaws and themes of redemption. There is also a mystery that gives you tantalising glimpses of how things might play out but still keeps you guessing

5.0 out of 5 stars The blinding knife: Lightbringer: book 2, 23 April 2013
Kept me up all night reading, I was completely entranced. A very good tale. I loved it. I can't wait for the next instalment. Thank you. Nick

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read from Weeks!, 11 April 2013
Mark Lowes "M. Lowes" (South Wales) - See all my reviews
Weeks created a world which should seem light and pleasant in 'the black prism' (book 1) with the anchor of magic and civilisation being light and with the magic coming in the form of colours, however, what he's managed to do and continue in this sequel, is create an eerie, dark world, full of war, blood, back stabbing and vengeance. Brilliantly written with pace and a well thought out plot.

Only thing that annoyed me was keeping up with Gavin's conversations with Dazen and vice versa... you'll understand when you read it!