4.0 out of 5 stars Read this to minimize confusion
Published 18 months ago by F. Odds

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty expensive for such poor "remasters"
I would first like to say that I have been a huge Python fan since childhood, and I think it's ridiculous that the BBC won't remaster the 4 Python series, and put them out for sale in the UK.

A "Best of Flying Circus" set, just doesn't cut it, if, like me, you are a true fan, who wants to see all the sketches that they ever did!

You have to get these...
Published on 11 Mar 2006 by TV

4.0 out of 5 stars Read this to minimize confusion, 8 Jun 2013
F. Odds - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Monty Python's Flying Circus - Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
I decided to buy a Monty Python box set almost as a reference item. I'm of the Python generation and references to sketches often come up in conversation. But on Amazon's pages I found myself confronted with two options: this set, dated 2012, for just over £10 or one dated 2008 with a brown box and a picture of a TV set at almost three times the price. Careful scrutiny revealed no difference other than a couple of minutes running time. The reviews were unhelpful: far too many of them and Amazon has lumped into one set reviews of the many and varied permutations on complete TV, complete TV plus films, etc. I finally decided to go with the lowest price and be darned.

Imagine my surprise when the package arrived and the box was brown with a picture of a TV set! Aha! The blue box depicted with this item is the inner box. The two box sets are the same, except for their wildly different prices.

The quality of the DVDs is very good for a remastered series shot in 1969. Reviewers who mention the tricky packaging are not wrong, but with a little patience the 8 discs can be removed easily enough and it's all very compact. And to those who grumble that it all just looks silly nowadays: it always did. Half-structured silliness was and is the essence of Python humour!

5.0 out of 5 stars Something completely different, 22 April 2009
K. Brown (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I grew up watching Python on PBS Television in California. Some of the skits have become so embedded in my consciousness that I use references to it not remembering where they originated. This set is fantastic because it's got all the shows, all the famous sketches and the infamous ones. I can't explain why it makes me laugh so much but it still does. I have rediscovered the origins of those catch phrases and now understand why I can't say 'Barnsley' in a normal way. It was an extra bonus to watch Terry Jones running along the road in Ealing Broadway carrying Carol Cleveland dressed as a bride on their way to buy a bed. I now live in Ealing so figure the circle is complete - from being an eight year old Californian doing bad impressions for my friends gleaned from late night viewings of Python, to actually walking the same streets used to create such loveable silliness. Buy this set. It's a great collection and an unbeatable price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not completely different ..., 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: Monty Python's Flying Circus - Complete Series [DVD] (DVD)
This is a review of the 2012-re-release of the "Complete Boxset" (Monty Python's Flying Circus - Complete Series [DVD]). In case you were wondering (like I was) how this release differs from the 2008-release (Monty Python's Flying Circus - The Complete Boxset [DVD] [1969] [2008]apart from the much lower price), this might help in your purchasing decission. On the first glance, the re-release seems to be a stripped down, low budget edition of the 2008-version: different covers, shorter running time, and no foreign subtitles - but no!

Actually only the packaging has been slightly modified. While on the Amazon-page only the DVD-case is shown, the DVD actually comes in a slip-case which is similar to the original release. The difference is, that this is no more a die-cut sleeve and instead of having a multi-fold dvd-tray this is simply a (big) armary case.

The discs themselves are identical to the 2008-version (they even have the same number and year on the label). This means it has Arabic, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Greek, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovene, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish subtitles and the first season is also dubbed in Polish and Hungarian (which still leaves me wondering if this is part of the joke or of its a true hungarian translation) and also all extra features are left intact: "Before the Flying Circus", "Conquer America", "Animated Gilliam" and "Politically Incorrect", so it has an overall running time of 1327 minutes (like the original release).

So, get it if you don't have it - this is the real deal!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have, 4 Mar 2009
Bernhard Fabricius (Denmark) - See all my reviews
I cannot recommend this box highly enough. Anyone with a sense of humour, nay anyone with a detectable pulse, should own this marvellous box. The picture and sound quality is excellent given the age of the material, and while the extras are - per force - limited, it is still an excellent package.
Today, 40 years after the first shows, it is hard to imagine what it must have been like when this gang of mad-men first appeared on the BBC. I don't think the viewers had any idea what had hit them. And while some of the cultural references are lost 4 decades down the line (most people will mercifully have forgotten just how dull TV otherwise was in those days!), the sheer quality of the comedy still shines through. The "Dead Parrot" knows no age. Buy this box and enjoy it - preferably together with someone new to Monty Python - as we have done with our teenaged children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Monty Python complete series, 8 April 2009
Mr. D. Ford "DFORD" (UK) - See all my reviews
It may have dated a little (1969-1974) and may look rather rough at the edges but at its peak these TV series contained some of the most intelliegnt humour around, more so than the better known films by the Pythons. The jokes work on so many levels, and it mocks so many things that even today seem quite relavent, including police stupidity, beurocracy and even bankers! A must for any comedy lover as long as you don't quote the lines to your friends. 4th series is a bit tiresome, but the other 3 particulatly are worth multiple viewing in some cases. Ceratinly in the UK it is difficult to see any of these programmes repeated on TV, so this good value boix set is the answer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality!, 22 July 2004
As a keen Monty Python fan, I urge you to forget the lamentable UK compilation DVDs which have been released and buy this superb 14-disc boxset.
Besides having every show from all four series, it has lots of extras, animated menus and comes inaa very nice storage box. A&E have really done the team proud.
Regional DVD coding is not an issue as I can confirm that the boxset is NOT region 1 (US) but region 0 (worldwide) and will therefore run on any UK DVD player.
Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great box set of a classic series, 5 Oct 2004
To start off with I want to confirm that these dvds are in fact region 0, even though it says they are region 1. When I got these dvds they would play on my multiregion player fine but when I tried them downstairs on my normal player they would play but in black and white. I have now got a new tv and dvd player which is not multiregion and it plays fine!
I think this is to do with the ntsc signal of the dvds. If your tv is new enough it should convert the signal and so should the dvd player. Check in the manuals first just to make sure they do.
So get these dvds instead of the "best of" dvds even if you dont have a multiregion dvd player, they are so much better and it's great to watch the episodes how they were meant to be watched.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty expensive for such poor "remasters", 11 Mar 2006
TV "tval2112" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews

You have to get these box sets from the US, and although they have some good extras, I was disappointed at the quality of the remastering process. Yes, the first series was in 1969, but SURELY, with modern technology, it would have been possible to "clean up" the old videotape?

The studio sketches, DO look like they have been remastered, but everything else, the titles, the outside broadcasts, and the cartoons, are pretty ropey in places, with pops, clicks, and faults a plenty.

Yes, the programmes are old, but if they managed to clean up the studio stuff, why not the rest of it? They make a joke of it, on the box, on "how you can enjoy the analogue faults in digital quality". I thought that's what it was, a joke, until I actually watched the DVDs.

Also, why do they have to put out 14 DVDs in separate boxes? They could have a least cut it to 7 by putting 2 DVDs per box, it just seems pointless!

As for the content, the stuff is all there, including the old favourites like "Summarizing Proust" (shame about the dodgy edit though!),"Dead Parrot", "Lumberjack Song", "Albatross", "Cheese Shop", and my own particular favourites "Spot the Looney", and "Fish Licence". The interactive menus are good, but the picture quality spoils it for me. I think it could have been done much better, especially considering how much it costs to buy!

PLEASE, BBC, do a proper remastering of these series, and put them out in the UK, so we don't have to suffer a 'rough' (or very rough, in this case!) guide to Pythons' Flying Circus. This groundbreaking show deserves more respect!!

I've given it 3 stars for the actual content, I won't give it any more due to the picture quality, and price!

UPDATE: The BBC have now re-released all the series on DVD. I just hope the quality is better than this one, although I haven't seen their versions, so I can't comment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of Puns, Palindromes, Litotes & Spam, 5 Jun 2010
Armchair Pundit "Armchair Pundit." (Durham City, England.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I've always thought this was THE funniest show ever written It's good to see other people feel the same.
Yes it's a shame that some of the sketches have been cut, but I'm just glad it's out on DVD.
The Summarize Proust sketch was censored by the BBC way back in the 70's, they (the BBC) didn't mind the strangling animals comment, it was the self abuse reference they censored.(A strange set of priorities!)
The Python member that will catch the eye initially, is obviously, John Cleese and even though he is a funny man don't let his physical presence over shadow the others.
Michael Palin in particular with his funny little asides and expressions, is in my humble opinion, the funniest Python.
~~~~
The show ran from BBC 2 :~1969-1974.
45 episodes (30 minutes.)
John Cleese left after season 3 to start writing, "Fawlty Towers"
with his wife at the time Connie Booth.
And don't overlook Palin's and Jones'es, "Ripping Yarns".
But where on Earth is Eric Idle's, "Rutland Weekend Television" ?
Happy viewing; "But for heavens sake keep an eye out for Spiny Norman."
(Writing this review was all in a days work for Bicycle repair man.)

4.0 out of 5 stars All Monty Python's Flying Circus in one package.., 16 Feb 2011
SE Timmins "Steve Timmins" (England) - See all my reviews
This box set has all of the 45 episodes. All as they was original screened on BBC TV. All of the theme tunes are the same, first with the duck sound, and then the raspberry sound.

*The Bad points* The discs get corrupted very easy because how the DVD's are packed in the box, the discs touch each other, therefore, check the playback quality because they tend to scratch very easily because of this fact. So for the packaging I would only give 01 out of 10.

Monty Python's Flying Circus - Complete Series [DVD]