4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I've been looking for
Published 20 months ago by Al

2.0 out of 5 stars Good if it works - unreliable
This product (under windows 7 at least) is simply unreliable. Some days i insert it and everything works fine. Other days, it simply will not be recognised, or refuses to accept my carefully typed password. Extremely frustrating. If you want a reliable way to store your data, look elsewhere.
Published 16 months ago by Mr G

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I've been looking for, 6 Nov 2012
This device "does what it says on the tin" data remains inaccessible unless a password is used. Plug it in enter password & away you go, no password then no access to any of the data. Sandisk used do do something similar but that "version" wouldnt work with any windows editions after XP. Staff at my local Maplins told me that there was no such device as a password protected "stick" any more, so I was really pleased to find this one! Must thank my friend Adrian though for pointing me in this direction.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good if it works - unreliable, 15 Mar 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Secure Mobile Storage, 31 Oct 2012
C. Baer - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kingston Technology 4GB USB Data Traveler Locker Plus Generation 2 (Personal Computers)
I bought this item in order to keep documents with me during travels, which are confidential. I have to say, it works very well, is easy to use, and I feel much less worried about losing the stick now.

I use both PC and Mac, and what is brilliant is that it works easily on both systems. The software is easy to use, which essentially looks like a DVD with nothing on it first. Once you open the software and enter the password you have set up, a readable drive is installed which you can use like any other USB drive.

The unit itself it very well made, with a full metal enclosure which feels reassuringly sturdy and high quality.

I wish I bought this years ago - 5 stars, highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it if you have Windows 7, 3 Mar 2013
I got this having read a lot of reviews. But it doesn't work under windows 7, even tho it says it does on the packaging. Having read other reviews for Datatraveler drives and finding out for myself the launcher just won't work in win 7. If you can't run the programme you can't set up the password so you can't access the encrypted section, rending the device useless. I'll be sending it back. I really didn't expect this from Kingston and it has put me off buying their products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy! Easy!, 19 Feb 2013
Mrs. K. J. Hawk "Kali" (Wirral) - See all my reviews
I had previously bought a Sandisk memory stick that was SUPPOSED to have a lockable vault in it.
It was a NIGHTMARE.
After a week of trying, and trying, bleating to hubby that I couldn't work it, and eventually reformatting it and using it as a simple memory stick, I bought one of these.

What Can I say.
It was plug in, click, and Bob's your Uncle.
So EASY!
Just what I needed.
It FEELS worth the money in your hand. It feels like it will withstand crushing, knocks and bangs.
The only drawback might be the lid. I just KNOW I'll lose it.

However, it is SO worth it to have something so easy to use that actually WORKS.
Give Sandisk a miss and buy one of these!

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems a good but be careful which Operating system you have, 2 April 2014
Purchased this as I needed to transfer numerous files between my PC and my Mac but discovered only when the item arrived that although the listing says it supports Mac OS it only supports Mac OS X 10.5.8 or greater so, at the moment, it's only useful as a paperweight.

1.0 out of 5 stars If I could rate this 0 I would., 4 Jan 2014
This is essentially the last thing you want to happen.

No longer works after two months of infrequent use.

DTL PLus Launcher keeps unexpectedly quitting, on my Mac and my brothers Mac.

A horrific failure, can't send it back because I still have my private data on it.

AVOID THIS PRODUCT!

1.0 out of 5 stars Really disappointed, 27 Sep 2013
This product was bought to keep my clients documents secure when travelling about. I have had nothing but problems with the device and I have checked all of the support available to no avail. It took many attempts to get my machine to accept the device, consistently showed as driver error. Eventually once my machine recognised it worked but even then if you plug something else into another USB socket the device disappears in the directory list, other times it works fine however should the device get touched in anyway it disappears again.

I know my PC is fine as I have no issues with any other device.

The other issue, which was a 'Biggy', I had the exact same problems when plugging it into my client's computers so their data was so safe I couldn't access it to work from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feels of quality, 17 May 2013
Feels very well made and solid, the security software and setup was easy to use and in operation it works quickly enough. I like the way it behaves just like a normal memory stick once you have entered the password, and doesn't try to make you conform to how it thinks you should synchronise foldes and drives.

4.0 out of 5 stars Over the top build quality makes it expensive if security is not your overriding concern., 25 Mar 2013
Dean Marshall "DJM" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is a well made and functioning USB stick, but it is a bit of a faff to use so don't buy it unless security is your number one priority. I would gladly sacrifice some of the build quality for a cheaper secure USB stick. Cautious Recommendation.

Pros
Look good: well made and solid feeling stick that oozes quality.
Speed: seems fast enough on USB 2 and 3.

Cons
Set up: The default format is FAT32 and it took 20 minutes for a full format from FAT32 to NTFS! I also had to re-boot my machine with all other USB devices detached to initially see the partition.
The end cap: cap does not fit on end of stick.
Expensive: too expensive if security is not an absolute priority. A solid plastic construction would make it cheaper and better value.