• Vows

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 28 March 2013
What a fantastic debut album from Kimbra! Miles better than expected, i have to say. An eclectic mix of songs with uniquely different musical styles which means the majority will be able to appreciate a good number of the tracks. The singles 'Cameo Lover' and 'Come Into My Head' (where I first became of her solo work) are a couple of the standout tracks, and one of the more widely known singles 'Settle Down' is initially one of the more bizarre sounding, but it will certainly grow on you.

If you were drawn to this through Gotye's 'Somebody That I Used To Know' then you may be a bit disappointed, as it's completely different, but undoubtedly a terrific find and at such a reasonable price on Amazon (bought at £4, but still worth it providing it stays below £8!!)

'Warrior', 'Sally I Can See You' and 'Posse' are the unsung heroes on the album and would certainly rate these as my favourite three tracks.

There's something on the album for people with a wide range of musical penchants, so it's definitely worth purchasing.
on 11 November 2014
Received today, 1day earlier than expected, which was good but it was just a normal CD not the 'International edition' (with six bonus tracks) in a jeweled case?? As stated. There maybe extra tracks, but I'm not aware of this. Love Kimbra and the tracks on this CD but I do feel like I've been done 😞 I will look into this.
on 24 February 2012
Fantatsic first album with smooth slow ballads and even better upbeat tracks.
Cant wait until Rebecca brings out the next one !!!
on 25 September 2012
Recently picked this album up after just discovering Gotye's "Somebody That I Used To Know" (bit late I know, but anyway), and loving what the "female vocalist" did on that song (more so than what he did on the song).

Being a debut album, I have to admit, I was pleasantly suprised. There is only one song out of the 11, that I havent't taken to (Withdraw). Furthermore whilst I bought Gotye's Making Mirrors album first, it barely gets a listen compared to Kimbra's Vows.

For me she comes across as a bit of a mix of Kate Ceberano, Kate Bush and Bjork. All of which is good in my book.

There is something on this album for everyone, some slightly bizarre tracks that are great (and more up my alley), some fairly standard pop, and some great balads.

Highly recommend this to all, and I look forward to her second album.
on 30 March 2012
A fantastic album, cameo lover being the best (my opinion)and the most upbeat song on the album, though after a couple of listens the other songs grow on you, a great buy. You can listen to all of it in 50 minutes. I really hope she makes it big in the U.K
on 24 September 2012
I first saw/heard Kimbra on Godey's 'Somebody That I Used to Know' and thought she was probably just an understated backing singer. But I did a YouTube search and what did find? "WOW"! What a talented young lady. She is just what this music industry needs. This album is a collection of master pieces all written by Kimbra and all totally original. There is more than one version too Australian and USA with omissions and additions which are all just as brilliant. Warner music has hit it big with this lady. BTW I saw her and her band live in London. I can tell you she can belt out the notes like the best of them.
on 15 April 2013
I got this after loving Kimbra on the Gotye collaboration "Someone that I used to know" (which is not on this album) and also after hearing "Settle Down" during an interview with Kylie Minogue who was raving about her. I still love "Settle Down" which is the first song on the album, but the rest of the album is not for me I'm afraid. After listening to it twice all the way through and not getting into it, I was left thinking that none of the other songs are memorable enough for me to want to play the album for a third time. I might try the Gotye album instead.
on 22 February 2014
I really have warmed to this CD which I bought on a whim having seen Kimbra on YouTube. I play it most days alongside my Tears For Fears and Depeche Mode CDs.
Love it !
on 4 February 2013
On one hand, Kimbra is part of an overcrowded genre - quirky fem-pop heavy on the electro, fighting for space alongside Ladyhawke, Bat for Lashes, Florence & The Machine, Marina & The Diamonds and so on. What sells her here is the impressive variety of style, catchiness of the tunes and her distinctive voice - there's no concession to mainstream-baiting middle of the road ballads here, just an artist expressing her obviously wide musical influences and interests with a consistent quality throughout.
on 22 January 2013
This girl's music isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, maybe too jazzy and out-there, sometimes lacking in a distinctive hook or melody! (reminded me of Swing Out Sister in places - retro) But I loved it, there is an overall mellowness to the album which makes all the various styles on the tracks hang together and of course her beautiful voice which is quite distinctive and makes a real change from all the other female soundalikes we have at the moment. Good luck with your career Kimbra.