5.0 out of 5 stars BUY BUY BUY!!, 20 Jun. 1997
By A Customer
Sadly, although this(IMHO)is one of, if not the best, of Ms. Huff's books, it didn't sell well enough to interest publishers in a sequel. I urge anyone who enjoys fantasy to read the first page, then see if you can put it down!

The storyline follows a rag-tag band of modern heroes(a sort-of bard, a "simple" girl, a tough cynical social worker and an Adept of the Light) as they struggle to stop the imminent invasion of Darkness that plans to break through the barriers protecting our world on Midsummer's Night. With the clock ticking, they race to defeat the evil adept who strikes at each with their deepest fears come to life...the ending makes you cry(at least, it made ME cry)but also gives you lift for your spirits and hope for the human race yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, wonderful book!, 3 Sept. 1999
By A Customer
This, for me, was one of the books that I read and it changed my life. From the inside jokes on the cover to the scene where the Beatles save the world, this is a great book and does not deserve to be out of print!! It is another one of those books that tries to make you think -- about why certain things are considered wrong, and what the potential of "slackers" or "mentally disabled" people really is. If you run across this in a bookstore, buy it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing and thoughtful - a band of unlikely heroes, 20 Feb. 2015
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gate of Darkness, Circle of Light (Kindle Edition)
This book is one of the author's earlier books and is similar in style to "Summon the Keeper" which I also enjoyed enormously. The author obviously knows her fantasy legends too and she plays with the stereotypes to make an unusual urban fantasy.

The world is in danger, the darkness is encroaching and everything may end. What is needed is a band of heroes to preserve the light and fend off the evil. Our collection is unusual - a street musician who hasn't fulfilled his potential, a woman who has a learning disability, a homeless woman, a social worker and a force of good conjured up for the occasion. And, of course, a cat.

The characters have to work out what is happening and save the world with their own skills - it will, of course, put their lives in jeopardy and force them to take great risks. The plot if full of action but the truly enjoyable part of the novel is how the author takes the characters and makes them alive to us. We understand how they think but also what their limitations are and how they overcome them. The author adds in some unrequited affection and lots of amusing moments to add depth and texture. By the time that you get to the end of this story you really care what is happening to these people and the tension is such that although you can be pretty sure of a positive outcome you are not sure what form it will take or what it will cost the characters.

This is excellent reading with lots to make you smile as well as a lot to make you think. Really enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended!, 8 May 1999
By A Customer
GATE OF DARKNESS, CIRCLE OF LIGHT is one of my favorite fantasy novels of all time! This is the first book I read by Tanya Huff, and it sold me on this fabulous author for life. The characters leap right off the page and you'll never forget them. In reference to the comments in the March 29, 1999, review, I believe it should be noted that GATE OF DARKNESS, CIRCLE OF LIGHT was published in 1989, and the first of Ms. Lackey's BEDLAMS BARD books, KNIGHT OF GHOSTS AND SHADOWS, was not published until 1990. Any similarities present should certainly not affect readers' comfort in reading GATE.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 21 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Gate of Darkness, Circle of Light (Kindle Edition)
I love reading Tanya Huffs books again and again they just get my in all my bones. love the jokes

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but hauntingly familiar, 29 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
Huff's work is wonderful, especially Summon the Keeper--I hope that there will be a sequel because it is not finished. This new book was great--I love urban fantasy, but for some reason, it really reminded me too much of Mercedes Lackey's Bedlam's Bard. I had this supreme sense of deja-vu. I am not accusing the author of any kind of plagerism (excuse my spelling) but it was kind of like Jordan's the Wheel of Time series compared to Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. Too many aspects rang familiar for me to read it comfortably. But other than that, the book is well worth reading

Gate of Darkness, Circle of Light