4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome internals under questionable interface
The new UI that greets you when you first log on to Windows 8 definitely takes you by surprise - and takes time getting used to. It definitely makes sense on a touch-enabled device, but very little on a traditional desktop/laptop. There are nice sides to it (weather app, easy searching a few others) - but I still find Microsoft's decision to "impose" it on non-touch users...
Published 21 months ago by Alexey Stepanov

3.0 out of 5 stars Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.
Windows 8

I would advise that someone who wants to upgrade their machine to Windows 8 to first download Microsoft's upgrade advisor. This will check applications and hardware for compatibility with Windows 8.
Microsoft also has its own pages called Microsoft Compatibility Centre which lists a vast range of software and hardware which will (or won't) work...
Published 20 months ago by Master1

‹ Previous | 184 85 8689 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars windows 8 pro, 11 Jan 2013
This review is from: Windows 8 Pro, Upgrade Edition [Upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7] (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I have installed the programme on my laptop and I am very pleased with the contents and have not had any trouble with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent upgrade, 12 Dec 2012
J. Begin "Jabez" (England) - See all my reviews
..but as I use a Pen Tablet Fujitsu Stylistic ST6012), I am a little disappointed that the Touch Keyboard is not convertible to the older Pen Keyboard. Swiping with the Stylus is almost useless, and hover over input areas has no effect (previously hover would call up the keyboard.)

Other than that, I appreciate the new Start menu ("metro"), and the speed over Vista is light-years ahead!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 12 Dec 2012
Great to load , fantastic interface , made all the difference to my computing . Only down is Drivers to update

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 8 has evolved., 2 Nov 2012
Windows 8 is different and in some ways annoying for some maybe. However it is easy to get used to and it offers the best of both worlds with the new Start menu.
It does have its flaws like for example Internet Explorer in Desktop mode not being linked with the Modern UI environment and for the some the missing start button but there are workarounds which are easy to use. Also when closing a Desktop mode program that you have opened via the Modern UI it doesn't automatically return you to back and lease you in desktop mode and you have to press the windows key or select the start pop up in the bottom left. For me these are very minor issues because the overall usability of Windows 8 is very good.
Windows 8 is also VERY fast and stable and has plenty to offer with cloud integration, music and video streaming, Media Center (free to install up until 31st Jan 2013) and many more enhancements.

Media Center hasn't really changed since Windows 7 but works just as well at recording TV, Watching DVD etc.

Looking forward to Microsoft Surface Pro being released next year.

4.0 out of 5 stars 24.99 FROM NICROSOFT ITS A BARGAIN SO WHATS YOUR PROBLEM?, 2 Nov 2012
WHY KNOCK IT FOR 24.99P FROM MICROSOFT ONLINE? THAT IS A NICE PRICE TO TRY IT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT THEN DON,T MOAN ON AT IT JUST UNINSTALL IT OR DUAL BOOT YOUR PC TO RUN BOTH OPERATING SYSTEMS ON THE ONE PC I FOR ONE WAS GOING TO KNOCK IT BAD BUT ITS PERFECT FOR WHAT I AM DOING ON MY HTPC LIVING ROOM SETTUP WITH A HAND HELD KEYBOARD MOUSE PAD IT INSTALLED PERFECTLY AND KEPT MY OLD WINDOWS SETTINGS FROM MAIL ACCOUNTS AND ITUNES AND PROGRAMS AND RUNS FAST WITH A SSD HARDDRIVE I DO MISS THE START BUTTON BUT ITS NOT A BIG A LOSS AS YOU MIGHT THINK IF YOU CLICK AT BOTTOM LEFT CORNER OF SCREEN AND BRING UP THE APPS SCREEN ALSO RIGHT CORNER BRINGS UP SETTINGS AND POWER OPTION TO CLOSE DOWN WINDOWS. I LIKE BEING ABLE TO LOG IN USING EMAIL ADDRESS AS THE LOG IN AND LINK TO MICROSOFT ACCOUNTS. APPS ARE GOING TO BE THE WAY FORWARD SO JUST BUY IT ITS GOING TO BE ROPEY AT FIRST UPMICROSOFT ALWAYS SORT IT OUT LIKE WINDOWS 7 SO BUY IT AT THIS 24.99 PRICE BEFORE JANUARY 2013 AS IT WILL GO UP AFTER. ITS SIMPLE TO GET AND DOWNLOAD AND PAY WITH PAYPAL OR CARD PAYMENT AND YOU WILL BE EMALED A CODE TO KEEP SIMPLE INSTALL FAST UNDER 30 MINUTES ON MY SETTUP AND FLYS. GIVE IT A CHANCE YOU MIGHT LOVE IT AFTER A BIT OF PLAYING AROUND ON IT IN A DAY AS I DO NOW AND DOWNLOAD THEM FREE APPS PROGRAMS THERE IS A GOOD SELECTION ON THERE AND I AM SURE EVERYONE WILL BE DOING THIS IN 2013. GET SOMEONE TO BUY YOU IT FOR CHRISTMAS YOU HAVE NOT LOST ANYTHING THEN BUT AS I STATED BEFORE HTPC LIVING ROOM SET UPS FANTASTIC EVERYTHING WORKS A DREAM MY GRAPHICS AND AUDIO AND PRINTER DRIVERS ALL GOT MOVEDWITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS. THIS IS MY VERDICT AFTER 24 HOURS USAGE AND IT WORKS FOR ME AS LONG AS YOUR OLD SETUP AND PC (WINDOWS 7 IN MY CAS3) IS RUNNING FINE YOU SOULD NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH DRIVERS OR ACCOUNT TRANFERS TO WINDOWS 8

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Edition, 28 Oct 2012
Well I took the plunge and ordered three copies of Windows 8 at the low pre-release price, with a view of flogging a couple when the price goes up, just like I did with Windows 7. That plan is now torn up, because I find Windows 8 so darned good leaving my main PC rocket propelled. That along with what I found a superb interface has persuaded to install it on my second desktop and laptop. My main PC is a Dell XPS 8300, so no slouch, but W8 is so light on system resources it is a different beast now. Windows 8 has prompted me to consider replacing my iMac with a windows all in one.
I am in my 60's but took to the Windows 8 interface like a duck to water, though also using OS X and Linux may have helped in that I am not bogged down to one system. I am not worried at not yet owning a touch screen PC and think I would stick to the mouse if I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars One system for all ..., 28 Oct 2012
P. Millar "dazzle" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Ignore the naysayers who tend to complain about every new version of Windows that comes out but still end up buying it anyway. If you have used Windows 7 then the learning curve for new features is very gentle. The main difference is the new Metro start screen, which is really designed for touch screen devices but still works perfectly well with a traditional mouse and keyboard set-up. You can access either Metro apps or desktop software from here and it uses hot corners for bringing up additional options.

Ultimately this is a hybrid system which is catering for all types of PC users. If you just want to use simple software which works one way without many configuration options then use the Metro apps, if you want to use software with more options then use desktop programs, or you can use a mixture of the two. The only real surprise is a lack of an option to either start with the Metro screen or the desktop, but there are already a few applications to do this for you (search for either Start8 from Stardock or, my personal favourite, StartIsBack) if you want to start with the desktop and have the traditional windows menu on the taskbar - and you can still flip to the Metro screen to use apps.

It feels faster and more responsive than Windows 7 and for about the first time in ages I haven't upgraded my hardware (which is about 5 years old now) to go with a new version of Windows. I installed 8 by doing an in-place upgrade over 7 and after the install all my programs and files were still where I was expecting them to be and I just carried on as though nothing had changed.

So far I have only found a few niggles: The Internet Explorer Metro interface wouldn't load and appears to be a bug due to the upgrade, I couldn't delete a key from the registry editor to try and fix this and I am unable to delete a folder from my external drive either - a few minor points which I will be searching around for fixes in due course. The other one is that fonts on some websites in IE 10 are appearing very small, notably Amazon, and I seem to remember having a similar problem in Firefox as well, I have set IE to ignore font sizes which fixes this on Amazon but then other fonts on other sites appear too large.

Overall I think this has been a worthy upgrade and it will be interesting to see what Microsoft comes up with for version 9 of Windows.

Edit (29/10/2012): To fix small fonts on Amazon in IE10 then use the compatibility view - which is the small 'broken page' icon in the address bar.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great software but upgrade didn't work, 27 Oct 2012
R. Johnson (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This item was received first thing today and unfortunately the upgrade would not work on my PC even if booting the DVD from the BIOs. I was only able to make this work by booting the DVD from the BIOs and choosing the clean install option. That took several hours of work to reinstall my programs, However let me talk about the new interface. As a software/hardware tester by trade I found the new interface not too difficult to learn and it can be quite fun. Yes you have to learn where everything is but once you do that the new interface feels very snappy and robust. I have to admit that Windows 7 and the previous Windows operating systems had a rather bland, mundane feel to the user interface. Windows 8 has some personality now. Admittedly Apple has had a robust interface for quite some time but due to the costs of their laptops and desktops I have stuck to Windows. I like the feel of Windows 8 overall and I believe it is growing on me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Windows OS Ever, 27 Oct 2012
The title says it all. Windows 8 is indeed the best Windows OS for me. I really like the new Metro UI which is really fast and slick. The start screen consists of those big tiles and replaces the desktop you first see on Windows. Though you can switch to the original MS Desktop look by pressing the Windows key. But to be honest, I like the new UI. The modern UI-Style apps like Mail, Calender, Messaging and People work out of the box. Many apps are now fun and engaging. The native metro UI apps like Skype, Evernote, Sky News, Netflix, MetroTwit, Wikipedia, Ebay, etc. are really really good.

The installation is quite straight-forward and if you're using Windows 7 then you don't need to worry about your files or apps as the installer takes care of it with ease. All the installed apps on my Windows 7 were compatible with Windows 8 and it notified me about this before the installation. Once the installation is completed, you get the new OS with all the older settings and files. That sorted out the headache of re-installing the apps and saved at least 6 hours of my life.

Talking about the OS performance, it's blazing fast! It boots up and shuts down so quickly and it runs quicker, more securely. It even boots up faster than Apple's new OS X Mountain Lion. Memory management is great and the new task manager shows you everything you need to know about your PC's performance.

Windows 8 is a great leap forward and I recommend it to everyone. Don't judge the OS by the nooby reviews and check out the features, performance and benchmarks yourself. One word - "UPGRADE".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade!, 29 Oct 2012
This is an excellent evolution of the operating system from Windows 7.

The desktop experience is much the same but has been tweaked to be cleaner and faster. The start button is now replaced with a home screen which is optimized for touch screen devices but is by no means difficult to operated with mouse and keyboard.

The install is a very simple upgrade from Windows 7 so no worries there, I chose to keep all of my files and programs rather than running a clean install and didn't have any issues.

The learning curve from an older operating system isn't too difficult in my opinion but if you don't like the look of the new home screen UI or are worried having to re-learn how to use Windows then just stick with Windows 7, as it really isn't much different in terms of your basic desktop experience.

‹ Previous | 184 85 8689 | Next ›