4.0 out of 5 stars The best one so far
After reading all of Torey Hayden's books, I come to realise how patience is such a virtue while working with children and young people and also how resilient children can be. This book actually proved this to me the most.

Published on 6 Jun 2006 by Kelly Duggan

3.0 out of 5 stars Uh, what about the title?
Well, this book was altogether well done, but honestly the title, "Just Another Kid" would almost imply that it would be about the CHILDREN. They spend way too much time focused on the alcoholic woman in the book instead of the actual students, who were far more interesting. I would recommend other Torey Hayden books over this one.
Published on 1 Mar 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The best one so far, 6 Jun 2006
Kelly Duggan (London, UK) - See all my reviews

I read this book in one day, couldn't put it down as I had been drawn into this tiny odd shaped classroom with some of the most seriously troubled children that you could ever meet. 3 children from Northern Ireland, a girl who couldn't speak, a young boy with serious childhood mental illnesses and a sexually aware 8 year old. Although real-life, this story does have a positive ending which I thik is apt as it was Hayden's last time as a teacher before moving permanently to Wales.

The story is incredibly touching, heartfelt and self reflecting. Reading it is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, 29 Jun 2006
C. Hunt "Lynn Hunt" (London) - See all my reviews
This was the first book I read by Torey Hayden and I immediately had to get to the computer to order some more. I did not immediately realise that it was a true story but, once I did realise, this added to the compulsion to read this book without putting it down.

The comment from the Times on the back cover describes it as an 'unaplogetic tear-jerker' but I did not find it at all upsetting. A real insight into human emotions, behaviour and relationships. Not a consistently happy ending but definitely inspiring.

Well worth three times the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Another Kid, 17 Jun 2006
Just finished this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. Again we have a group of very different kids, 6, including 3 from a trouble torn Northern Ireland. Geraldine and Shemona who only speaks to her elder sister, they have lost both parents to the troubles of Belfast, and Shamie their older cousin. We also have Mariana and Dirkie then little Leslie who also does not speak, all have their own individual problems and challenges. To have taken on Leslie's alcoholic Mother, hence the title 'Just Another Kid' shows what a remarkable woman Tory Hayden is. Not only is Tory a great teacher but she is also a great writer. Have also read 'One Child', 'Tiger Child' and

'Ghost Girl'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Another Kid!!!!!!, 19 April 1999
By A Customer
"Just Another Kid" has become one of my favorite books by Torey. Probably because I see a little of myself in the Ladbrooke. Not the alcohol problem, mind you. reading Torey's books has inspired my interest in Psychology and Education very much. I think that it is such a wonderful way to spend one's life. What a wonderful career, what could be better than to give your time to those that need you most. In regards to the dispute about the title, Ladbrooke, was just another kid. SHe had problems that she needed help with and she couldn't do it on her own. Her problems show us that problems don't go away because one has grown up. Her vulnerability gave her the innocence of one of Torey's disturbed children. well that's all I have to say. I highly reccommend all of her other books. Can't wait for the new one's she is writing!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Extreamly Inspirational Book, 25 April 1999
By A Customer
Torey Hayden is a powerful person and a great story teller. I have read all her books more than once, and I am only in 8th grade. After reading her books, they have made me think about becoming a physchologist, or some other type of person who works with austistic children, when I grow up. Torey is a super person and has made some peoples lives a lot happier than they were before.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful, touching book, 7 May 1999
By A Customer
This is one of my favorite books. It's good to know that Ladbrooke was able to sort out her problems. I liked how Torey got Shemona to talk and not be afraid of her sister. What happened to Geraldine absolutely broke my heart, though I thought what she did to Shamie was disgusting. It's awful that a child deteriorates emotionally like that due to a tragedy that she can't understand. I hope to read more Torey Hayden books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just another Kid, 18 Feb 2005
By A Customer
This book is hard to put down once started, although in a classroom setting it focuses more on Torey's relationship with another adult, I really enjoyed this as Torey had to question how she works and is forced to consider whether she may be doing more harm than good with her methods.
I have read most of Torey's books and found this one one of her best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Another Kid, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Just Another Kid: Each was a child no one could reach - until one amazing teacher embraced them all (Kindle Edition)
Once again Torey Hayden has captivated me. Her books touch my soul and my heart morns for what some of these children have endured.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 9 April 2014
I love Torey Hayden's books. She draws me in to her world oike no other author..i couldn't recommend any of the more highly. Even her fiction books are fantastic. This was a fascinating story of a young mother needing more help than you could imagine. Step into her world and learn in a way you can't imagine.

5.0 out of 5 stars another fabulous book, 20 Nov 2013
Previously read:
Beautiful Child
Ghost Girl
Silent Boy

As opposed to the other three books I have read this one explores relationship with an adult although relationships with other children are described in great detail too. There's no focus on one particular child as such.

The book is fabulous, I greatly enjoyed it. Loved the ending and the epilogue too.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›