5.0 out of 5 stars A BRILLIANT book that Hampson fans will enjoy
Published on 21 May 2012 by Best Crime Books

3.0 out of 5 stars just ok
just ok i did not really like it was too slow could not get imvolved. would not buy another of hers
Published on 22 Feb. 2013 by sheila mcpherson

5.0 out of 5 stars A BRILLIANT book that Hampson fans will enjoy, 21 May 2012
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Mother's Journey (Paperback)
I have read all of the books written by June Hampson and for those that maybe haven't read her they are all part of a series featuring Daisy Lane. The first book in the series (and June's debut novel) is set in the 1960's and her last book in the series entitled Fighting Dirty has moved on to the 1980's. Her most recent release had aroused my curiosity due to the fact that this book is almost a prequel. The books feature Daisy Lane but also her friends and family. Vera has been a central character from the word go and has been a brilliant presence in Daisy's life. This book takes you back to the 1940's when Vera was a young girl.

If I am being 100% honest I was a little worried but only because I love Vera so much and wondered whether this book would be as good as the Daisy Lane books I have read to date. If anything this book far exceeded what I expected and was a brilliant read. June Hampson takes us back to when Vera was a 14 year old girl living with her family in the middle of the war. Straight away I was drawn into Vera's world and it took me less than a few pages to remember why I loved the June Hampson books so much.

If people haven't read any of the Daisy Lane books, you can still read this as a stand-alone but to be honest for me it was so much nicer having the history of all the characters. It explained so much about Vera and how she has arrived at the place she is now. Vera's life was certainly not easy and along the way she has her fair share of heartbreak and I realised why I loved her as a character so much. This book only made me want to read more and has whetted my appetite for the next Daisy Lane book.

I am not normally a fan of books set in the 40's but June Hampson has done a fantastic time of taking you back to that time and being able to picture a place torn apart by the War. I was absolutely gripped from the very first page to the very last. I am annoyed that I left this so long to read (it was released in March 2012) but am so glad that I got around to it. I think that June Hampson fans will absolutely love this latest instalment.

I think some fans are concerned that after the last book Fighting Dirty, the series may have come to a natural conclusion, but I beg to differ. I think that the next book that June Hampson produces may well feature Daisy's children as the previous book gave loads of scope for that part of the story to be developed. I will as always wait impatiently for her next instalment. For people that haven't tried June Hampson I would highly recommend her but would suggest starting at the beginning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Had me in tears.... brilliant read, 2 April 2012
This review is from: A Mother's Journey (Paperback)
I am a massive fan of June Hampson books and ordered this as soon as it was released, I wasn't sure what to expect as it focuses on the character Vera rather than the other characters but was hooked from the beginning to the end, this book is written brilliantly and I actually had tears streaming down my face at one point. I don't think any June Hampson fans will be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 13 Mar. 2012
This review is from: A Mother's Journey (Paperback)
I have read the other "Daisy Lane" books and thought it a great idea to go back to Vera's early days and explain why she made the choices she did. I found the settings and characters convincing and well drawn. I really enjoyed it

5.0 out of 5 stars very sad you cant help but love the character even moor !, 17 April 2012
This review is from: A Mother's Journey (Paperback)
as a follower of daisy lane series i adore vera anyway and when i saw this i had to buy it and im so glad i did you see vera in a differnt way as she grew up and all her heartaches and loss and how she became who and what she is now its a brilliant story well written and so glad i purchased it cant wait for the next installment of the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 12 Mar. 2012
Angie Mcewen "asbo" (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Mother's Journey (Paperback)
This book wasnt left open for a follow up story as the other review suggests, if you read all the other books, this book will make perfect sense and the ending stops at a part where the other books took off, great read, was disapointed when id finished it, would defo recommend, i have read all the books in the series and its great to find out more about Vera and her beginnings!!! Well written, sad and funny at the same time!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars just ok, 22 Feb. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars a mothers gift june hampson, 14 Aug. 2012
I could not put this book down first book that i have read by june hampson I am so glad that i bought it. It is one of those books that you need to know what happens. I have now started to read the Daisy lane books also by june hampson and again its like christmas thoroughly enjoying them they are full of grit passion and filth. I dont normaly read this type of book but glad that i have found them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Character back story, 18 Mar. 2012
Barry M. Coppock "Barry C" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Mother's Journey (Paperback)
At the end of the last Daisy Lane book the question may have been asked (as I myself did) where now? It seemed, at least to this reader, that the Daisy Lane series had come to a natural conclusion. In 'A Mother's Journey' we learn more about one of the principal character's, Vera. Our knowledge of Vera, in effect, 'tops and tails' this book. We therefore learn how Vera's life started and all what she went through to get where she is today. As with the excellent Daisy Lane series the author's high standard is maintained. As mentioned by another reviewer, there is no option for a follow up. The question I posed at the beginning of this review must now be asked again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 July 2014
Loved it...All June Hampson books are easy to follow and addictive reading

5.0 out of 5 stars brill, 15 Feb. 2014
good book love this author, bit expensive in kindle version will wait to buy next famous author books but other wise brilliant