on 5 January 2010
This author is the modern day Agatha Christie and leads you up many blind avenues before revealing the end game. Excellent reading and difficult to put down once started. Hope there are more to come. All her books are good reads.
on 10 April 2010
Agatha Raisin with her own detective agency, introducing more characters. Plenty of action, and read with great gusto.
Though I do prefer full character CDs, and was dubious about Penelope Keith going it alone, I really enjoyed this. Murder and mayhem at its very best.
on 24 June 2012
Bought this book at around mid-day today and had finished it by around 4pm.
Alright I did not read the first few pages, which are the same in every book.

This was a good read, but a lot lighter than most of the others. I got the feeling that it was written as quickly as I read it. Not to say it was any less of a typical Agatha Raisin book.

Having read them all in order, I must say that I have enjoyed them all so far. I know that some folk have not enjoyed them all, but I have.

They are easy reading. A break from the hard-boiled books that I normally read.

They do what they say on the tin!!!! No fault in that is there. You buy an Agatha Raisin book and you know that you are in for some good old fashioned fun.

Do not know what I am going to do when I have read them all. Sadly, the other series do not appeal for some reason.
This story is one I have really enjoyed because it jumps about alot and kept my interest from the start to finish. I like it when Agatha comes a cropper and the thought of her almost being thrown from a boat and drowned but managing to escape is quite marvellous. Like wise I could visualise her meeting dates and finding them total wash outs because who would ever meet her criteria for a relationship. The investigations into the murder of a bride and the outcome all kept me guessing. Not over long and nicely segmented this was a book to read over a few days and picking it up again and getting back into the story was easy. I could of course see Penelope Keith as Agatha and I wonder if this was how M C Beaton saw her character.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 February 2010
I loved the early Agatha Raisin books but have to agree that the later ones are considerably weaker, marred by absurd plots and lots of very lazy and careless writing. (An example of the slapdash nature is the description of a 'Tudor' pub called the King Charles with a picture of Charles II on the sign - Tudor... I don't think so!)

Here the first couple of chapters read like a synopsis of a novel rather than the real thing, though it does get better once the story really begins.

I far prefer the books before Agatha set up her own detective agency since the latter plots are pretty thin and unbelievable. So are many of the characters, of course, especially the younger ones, but that's part of the charm of these books that they're set in a fantasy land where a teenager can run her own detective agency and be good friends with a 50-something year old woman.

Agatha is as spiky as ever, but here I felt the contradictions become too obvious, verging on the ridiculous - so a woman with an arthritic hip, too much make-up, dodgy clothes and an abrasive personality still picks up attractive men everywhere she goes...

Agatha Raisin books are a bit like meeting old friends (Mrs Bloxby and her irritable husband are my favourites) but the whole package has definitely slipped in attractiveness. Ok for a switch-your-brain-off read in the bath or bed but a far cry from the early subversiveness of this series.
on 29 September 2010
Ive read all the Agatha Raisin books to date and im sorry to say that this one is absolutely awful.

The story was overly predicatble ,boring and the charactisation dredful.

As another reviewer points out the author repeats herself over and over again with the same use of words "pugnacious faces, steel grey hair " .It was as if MC Beaton had actually forgotton how to write .

This was such a huge disapointment from beginning to end I rushed through it just to finish it, whereby other Agatha Raisin stories I would, yes, be rushing through it but only because I couldnt wait to find out who had done the crime .
At times I found myself thinking is this really MC Beaton's character Agatha Raisin? The ballsy, feisty,rude detective that we have all come to know and love .
It wasnt even amusing in parts just felt like a book written in a day just to make some cash.

I shall purchase the next installment of Agatha Raisin and i will keep my fingers crossed that its better than "there goes the bride".Lets hope for us Agatha fans this was just MC Beaton having an off day
on 27 May 2013
Agatha bumbles her way to the truth aided by the usual suspects. Great story told with wit and a good aray of charachters
on 28 December 2013
EXCELLENT ITEM NO PROBLEMS AT ALL
I love these stories . The fact Penelope Keith reads them is even better .
on 14 December 2009
Oh Dear - I was so looking forward to this new book, I had it ready, hidden away, a present to me for Christmas reading, but I could not contain myself any longer, I knew where it was hidden and had to read it. Bitter disapointment - I am sorry to say I think MC has lost the plot. I could not "get into it" - normally I am THERE first few lines. Sadly not this one!
on 18 September 2013
"Agatha Raisin: There goes the bride" is the 20th detective outing for Agatha Raisin. Agatha has received an invitation to her ex-husband's wedding to a beautiful young woman. However, when the bride is murdered on her wedding day Agatha is naturally the prime suspect.

Agatha sets out to unravel all the clues to prove that she is not guilty of the murder and to find the real perpetrator of the crime.

The last few Agatha Raisin books were very good but this one was disappointing. The murder was resolved to early on and the final chapters just seemed to be padding and to me seemed to have been added as an afterthought. I was certainly not gripped until the end. However the book up until the murder was solved was very good - it is just a shame that it continued for so long after the murder had ended.