5.0 out of 5 stars A Fabulous multi-genre cocktail
Seb Kirby has concocted a fabulous multi-genre cocktail that keeps you engrossed from beginning to end.

Published 13 months ago by LincsDave

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange plot but interesting and varied characters
Gritty in places and probably a bit too much for some. Violence is never far from the surface and some is a bit too graphic for my liking. Nevertheless this book has a definite something going for it and one day I might even finish it.
Published 11 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fabulous multi-genre cocktail, 27 Jun 2013
This review is from: Double Bind (Raymond Bridges Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

Raymond Bridges, moderately successful author and English Professor, Victoria Bletchley are thrust into a world where things are rarely what they appear to be and people are rarely exactly who they say they are. Against this backdrop Raymond and Victoria must outrun and outsmart their Nemesis, the many members of his newly emerging cult and even the police before it's too late. Before we all end up paying the ultimate price for our own short-sightedness.

On the face of it, this story comes from a classic Science Fiction tradition and, indeed, it does contain elements of the best contemporary examples of the genre. You can feel the echoes of Twelve Monkeys, The Matrix and The Man Who Fell to Earth, among others, emanating from the text. It also has resonances from the early giants of science fiction HG Wells, Ray Bradbury, Arthur C Clarke and the like. In fact, it particularly reminded me of a short story called Pawley's Peepholes by the great John Wyndham.

Within this tradition Mr Kirby has seamlessly woven the fundamental features of an engaging and challenging mystery with all the requisite murders, suspects and motives. As our hero develops he is sometimes part Philip Marlowe and sometimes part Sherlock Holmes but, never too much of either.

The story also has the pace and timing of a first class thriller. It effortlessly moves you inexorably forward, whilst ramping up the tension at every turn

Although all this would be enough to raise Double Bind well above the average modern story, what really elevates it is its style. To write well in the first person or in the present tense is hard enough but, to combine the two and still remain coherent and cohesive is, frankly, a triumph.

I recommend this book to anyone that enjoys and appreciates a good story well told. I also recommend it to all you aspiring writers as a fine example of a fantastic author nearing the top of his game.

If I had six stars to award, I would, Thank you Seb this is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: Double Bind (Raymond Bridges Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
What a fantastical si-fi told as a cautionary tale - I loved it!

This story is fast-paced, extremely well-written and extraordinarily different - one that gripped me from the beginning to the very end.

The problem is that I don't give spoilers, so it isn't easy to say much, however, despite its 'off the wall' feeling, it's believable and the plot is one that you never quite know what will happen next, demonstrating the wonderful talent of this author. It is also thought-provoking and inspiring.

Highly recommended for those who love a fabulous story told with perfection.

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange plot but interesting and varied characters, 18 Aug 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Double Bind review, 7 Jun 2013
This review is from: Double Bind (Raymond Bridges Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Although it started well, I found myself confused by the characters. However I had to finish it, as I needed to know how the story would resolve itself and the hero survive.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking read, 26 Oct 2012
H D. Steel (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Double Bind (Raymond Bridges Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I tend to avoid thrillers suspecting they will be formulaic but a review of this one caught my eye and it sounded interesting. I must admit it took me a little while to get into the story but I was soon turning the pages avidly. I won't reveal the plot for fear of spoiling it but Double Bind has an off-beat one with plenty of layers and influences that give it depth and resonance. The main character, Raymond Bridges (as we first meet him) makes an engaging narrator with a nice line in challenging humour and moments of real emotion. I did spot one error regarding the route of the Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race but it is not important to the story and I only mention it because it comes near the beginning of the book. It would be a great shame if it put sticklers for accuracy off as they would be missing a great read. It certainly got me through a tedious eleven hour flight and that takes some doing! A definite 'must read' from me and I'm looking forward to getting the author's other novel, Take No More.

2.0 out of 5 stars Really struggled with this one, 16 Feb 2013
This review is from: Double Bind (Raymond Bridges Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I abandoned this book about half way through. I tried really hard to stick with it but I just couldnt follow the story and didnt really care about the characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars I DUNNO, 20 Sep 2012
This review is from: Double Bind (Raymond Bridges Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I bought this a ebook for my kindle based on reviews of fans of Seb. I feel really disappointed for paying 2.OO for a book that I struggled through. I just could not get into the story and don't know what the appeal is, am I missing something here. why are people giving 4 and 5 star reviews for mediocre fiction. It seems my free ebooks are better reads and every time I buy a book it does not live up to the hype. Sorry the style of writing doesn't work for me. What twists and turns?

4.0 out of 5 stars Very original, 2 July 2013
This review is from: Double Bind (Raymond Bridges Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Double Bind is an unusual book as can be seen by the varied reviews. People seem to either love or hate it. All I can say is that I kept reading and every so often I would get a reward in the form of a well-turned phrase or an amusing insight. It is certainly clever and well written - what's there not to like?

4.0 out of 5 stars Double Bind, 29 Jun 2013
This review is from: Double Bind (Raymond Bridges Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Original, fast paced and entertaining. Looking forward to #2 to see where the story might go next. A worthwhile read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Double Bind, 30 July 2012
Joo "kuforum" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Double Bind (Raymond Bridges Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I didn't really get on with this book. I wanted to finish it as I'd heard good things about Seb's writing, but really struggled for at least the first half.

I thought it had the promise of a good story, but I sped read through quite a bit of the first half. In my opinion, it didn't get interesting for a good while and I wanted to give up on it a few times.

It didn't stop me trying other books by Seb Kirby as I think it was me that didn't like this book, not that it was a bad book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›