5.0 out of 5 stars Fast moving and atmospheric.
I liked it a lot. Fast-moving and atmospheric with two lead characters who are likable, believable and about whom I would like to read more. These can be further developed I want the back story for these two.
Published 5 months ago by Darryl Hinksman

It may seem unfair to contrast this with the WW1 episodes of BlackAdder on TV, but the limitations of this story invite the comparison
Published 10 months ago by ed. g.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast moving and atmospheric., 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: Red Mercury (Kindle Edition)

2.0 out of 5 stars An imaginative story, a bit like a text version of a sixties war-comic, limited appeal, 21 Sep 2013
ed. g. (plymouth, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Red Mercury (Kindle Edition)
Read for what it is, then it is enjoyable enough. The contrast between the thought-provoking achievement of the apparently light-entertainment TV episodes and the speed with which this story fades from the memory sums up a missed opportunity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Turn Up The Heat!, 11 Sep 2013
Warren Stalley (Bradford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Red Mercury (Kindle Edition)
I was very impressed by this short debut novel by Mr Gillies. It's a steampunk themed action adventure where a small group of soldiers are dropped behind enemy lines in Siberia to rescue a scientist and his daughter. The basic plot is Boy's Own adventure while the steampunk setting gives this work an interesting flavour. One reviewer compares it to The Guns of Navarone and Where Eagles Dare and he's absolutely right. The story rattles along keeping the narrative tight and focused. To summarise this is a great action novel which I fully recommend and I look forward to reading further books by this author. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Action packed, fast paced fun!, 10 Jun 2013
T. Howarth (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Red Mercury (Kindle Edition)
'Steampunk' isn't really a genre I'm familiar with and I would normally steer clear of war novels so I really wasn't sure what to expect when this was recommended to me; what I got was an absorbing, action filled adventure story which soon had me hooked. Fast paced with distinctive characters, Rod painted a very vivid picture and convinced me of his universe. Yes, it's a 'boys own' adventure, but I'm a middle aged woman who really enjoyed it - maybe we all need to stretch our boundries from time to time to discover new realms!

Suspend your disbelief and dive in headfirst - you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great first book, 11 July 2012
A. Townshend (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Red Mercury (Kindle Edition)
From what I understand, this is the first book that the author has written... I really hope it is not the last. I sat and read it on a flight last night and was really hoping for a delay at destination so I could finish reading it in one go. The story is a great " boys own" adventure set in a steam-punk type world and the Russian revolution. Real world names and events mixed with fiction make for a great read.

I dearly wish I could sit down and achieve something like this... The fact that Rod has done this at a first attempt is fantastic. It is most certainly worth the price, and I would not have been disappointed if I had paid more...

Great stuff!

Andy

4.0 out of 5 stars Read it, liked it., 1 Aug 2013
T. Lord - See all my reviews
This review is from: Red Mercury (Kindle Edition)
Bought this because it was cheap and wasn't disappointed at all.
The story moves along at a brisk clip, great characters you can easily visualize and bond with.
I love a novel that is all story, not all describing this that and every little thing.
I wouldn't have a hesitation reading another of the author's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars More, please., 28 May 2013
This review is from: Red Mercury (Kindle Edition)
Steam-punk (as I now know it's called) isn't my normal genre, but I gave this book a whirl based on the recommendation of some trusted friends. I was instantly drawn into the story and found myself eagerly turning the pages (er, um, clicking the next button on my Kindle). I enjoyed the wry humour that was served up on each page, along side a fascinating 'alternative history'.

I rarely give a book 5 stars but this one gets it because it was entertaining - and because it is credited with introducing me to a new genre. I'm looking forward to reading Mr Gillies' next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent thriller., 23 Jan 2013
This review is from: Red Mercury (Paperback)
I can hardly believe that the author has a full time day job and wrote this story in his spare time. It was a real page-turner with a very well thought out plot which, in my view, was very similar to the film "The Wild Geese" with Richard Burton and Roger Moore. If this book was widely available at station and airport bookstalls I suggest that it would be a great success.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 1st Book, 19 Nov 2012
This review is from: Red Mercury (Kindle Edition)
What a great wee novel. Real boys own adventure, left you wanting more. Well worth a punt if you like any adventure stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Altered History, 21 Aug 2012
This review is from: Red Mercury (Paperback)
Set against a backdrop of an altered Europe, everything is familiar yet different. The Germans are threatening British Navel supremacy and the Bolsheviks, with their revolutionary ideals, are threatening the political status-quo. However, there has been no Great War and the tensions that were released with that conflict have only grown stronger.

This is the scene for an adventure featuring such steampunk classics as giant walkers and massive dirigibles. However what makes this such a good read is the page turning action, the likable heroes and sadistic villains.

All this for 1.50 (or 4.50 for the dead tree version). What's not to like, apart for the wait for the sequel?

Red Mercury