I loved "Wrong Turn 4" but wasn't big on the rest of them. I enjoy over the top slasher films with a touch of Roger Corman. This one opens Corman style with a nude love scene. The film takes place in modern times some 30 years later after...? I'm not sure what, but now Maynard Odetts (Doug Bradley- "Hellraiser" Pinhead) has been there for 30 years but absent from the other films as a killer. I decided not to think too hard on this one and just enjoy the film. There must be more than one branch of cannibal killers in the area.

The town of Fairlake, WV is having a 10 year annual festival celebrating the Hillbilly cannibal slasher...Seriously?

People are in costume which allows our recluse gruesome threesome to enter town with knowledge of cell phone towers, phone lines, and electricity. The film gives literal meaning to "Give me a hand" and "Lend me your ears." The killings/torture was done in different and entertaining ways bordering on Troma style using real pig entrails. Clearly this film is not for everyone. But for those who like an 80's Troma style slasher film, you might want to check this one out.

Parental Guide: F-bomb, sex, nudity (Amy Lennox, corpse nudity, Bulgarian film actress Borisa Tutundjieva)
on 14 February 2013
OK. It's Wrong Turn, so if you've seen any of the others, you pretty much know what to expect by now.

Our favourite hillbilly freaks Three Finger, Saw Tooth and One Eye are back on another killing spree across Virginia and this time they've brought a friend. And this is where we encounter some sort of continuity error from the series. Even after watching the film, I'm unsure who the guy is supposed to be.

First off, I'll need to explain that Wrong Turn 5 is a sequel to Wrong Turn 4: Bloody Beginnings and a prequel to the original Wrong Turn, meaning that the action takes place between those two films. Our bad guy, the only one here who isn't mutated or deformed in any way - physically, at least - claims that the hillbillies are his "boys" and the events seem to take place in the year 2003, which is when the first movie is set. Whether or not he is the Old Timer who claimed to have fathered the mutants in the first two films at a younger age is questionable to say the least, seeing how that character was older than my dead grandfather. Maybe he aged terribly in the space of a few weeks. Or perhaps he isn't even supposed to be the same character. Even after reading up about the Wrong Turn series online, and gathering up all the opinions and thoughts of other fans, I'm still at a loss. I like to think that he is not related in any way to the hillbillies and just stumbled upon them whilst murdering innocent people in the woods, as it hurts my brain and the series' continuity less that way.

The excuse for this sequel/prequel/sequel/???? is that a bunch of teens are heading off for a Burning Man, I mean, Mountain Man festival in West Virginia, happen to get run off the road by a serial killer, and - along with him - are arrested and hunted down by our loveable hillbilly friends in an effort to break their dad/uncle/bessie mate out of prison.

As usual, the deaths are fun and creative, and you genuinely don't care whether the characters live or die, so the sooner the better. And Roxanne Mckee plays her part well, despite receiving possibly the worst treatment in the film (I'm talking, of course, about THAT ending, but I'll not spoil it for those who have yet to see it).

I enjoyed the movie, although not quite as much as Bloody Beginnings. It didn't live up to that, nor did it live up to the first and second. However, it was better than the third movie, which so far, remains my least favourite. I'd definitely watch it again. Probably not as much as Dead End and Bloody Beginnings, and I think I'd need to have a few beers beforehand.

And if anyone can help with the identity of the antagonist, feel free to drop me a line.
on 4 November 2012
Yes its the fifth movie in the franchise and they get more and more fun! I personally love these movies, if you're a massive fan like me you know exactly what to expect, blood and guts and total carnage all true R rated style and there is plenty of the red stuff in this movie, the story is different to previous films and helps it evolve into several more sequels hopefully, Doug Bradley is very good in his role probably his most sinister since Hellraiser with some cool dialogue, the deaths are all well thought up and surprisingly its not too predictable, great trashy horror fun made for the fans only!
44 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 January 2014
A small West Virginia town is hosting the legendary Mountain Man Festival on Halloween, where hoards of costumed party goers gather for a wild night of music and mischief.

But an inbred family of hillbilly cannibals kill the fun when they begin to stalk a group of visiting college students, who have helped incarcerate their master....

The third, and especially the fourth movie in this strange little franchise were quite terrible.

Now this isn't great by any means, but at least it's entertaining and for once in these sort of movies, some of the acting is reasonable.

plot wise, its stalk and slash fodder, the original hillbillies now have Doug Bradley as their ringmaster, and no sooner than five minutes into the film, he's making references to Hellraiser and realising where his career has gone.

And thats the fundamental problem with the whole film, whenever something bad happens or lights go out, the script writers seem to think it would be good for Bradley to say something slightly sinister, and laugh...every single time.

It gets annoying after the second time, so you can imagine how one feels after the sixth time. And when the cast are telling him to shut up, you really want them to just kill him.

The rest of the cast are okay, apart from the Sheriff, who makes some terrible decisions throughout the movie.

Gore is way over the top, and one could imagine hat the maker has some slight psyche problems, as they have really gone to town with all the gore.

It ends as you would expect, open ended, leaving room for another movie.

Not brilliant by any means, but a step up from the last two movies.

The fifth outing in the series and whilst you don't expect it to anything Oscar worthy you know damn well what you're going to get, a story of gore, murder, mayhem and of course cannibals. Whilst the plotline is quite simple for this title it is one that for me was perhaps the goriest to date, that's not to detract from the storyline but when you add the amount of victims into the mix really left the story only one real way to go. Yes its not complex, yes its simply gore horror but these titles offer something I like, an unhappy ending.

With the addition of a new cast member to the hill billies side this film works well which when added to a few unbelievable moments (such as the forward thinking of the deformed murderers which the principle guy on their side denies that they have early on,) makes this a film to enjoy with a friend and pizza.
on 14 April 2013
How many 'Wrong Turns' does it take to make a Right Turn? Well, this film, the fifth in the series tries to carry on what the others left behind. It does go some way, however the plot falls short of the same terror of the first four.Which leaves one to answer the question.. Why?

However, i gave this film three stars for Doug Bradley for trying liven it up.
on 5 October 2014
Oh dear this franshise has gone a few wrong turns too many the excellent first one followed by an okay second has now gone to number five this one bored me as I've seen better the characters were not likeable like in the first film and the mutants even looked like they had rubber masks on
on 28 December 2012
I found this dvd ok. After having watched all the other previous dvd's in the Wrong Turn series which I did enjoy I found this not quite so enjoyable. Maybe it because it's the beginning shown at the end if you know what I mean and may of worked better if it was the first in the series.
on 14 November 2014
the only Wrong Turn film I enjoyed, if you are new to the series i'd suggest watching this one, then after see the first movie and don't see the rest, this one is a prequel to the first one anyway so it would make sense to see before you see the first. 2,3,4,6 are wastes of time.