on 5 July 2012
I followed this case very closely at the time so was delighted to find a lot of details about the victims and the crime which hadn't been reported. An excellent, fast paced read. I couldn't put it down
on 30 May 2014
I haven't given this five stars because 'I love it' (as amazon classifies a five star review) in the sense that I loved reading it, and loved 'the plot'. It's very far from 'love' when you read what this man was capable of. This is a shocking story, all the more so because it actually happened. There's a debate as to whether Malcolm Webster was a full-blown psychopath, or 'only' a sociopath, but having had little bit of experience with both through my work, he does seem to be more psychopathic with aspects of sociopathy combined. But you may form a different opinion, and of course now we have the TV adaptation which took its own viewpoint on him as well (albeit with direct input from two of the women he conned and planned to kill).

It's not the best-written book - the style is a bit haphazard in places - but this isn't a book you buy because you want an example of well-written literature. This is a shocking lesson in how people we think we know can be complete strangers at the same time, for reasons that make perfect sense to no one except themselves, and with no compunction about doing whatever suits them without having the capacity to consider (even if they wanted to) how someone else might be feeling about things.

This book isn't for everyone, and if it hadn't been for the TV adaptation I'd never have heard of it (I don't even remember the real life case when it hit the papers at the time, although I must have been aware of it somewhere at the time). I work in a field where working out what makes people tick, in sometimes quite challenging ways, so I think I read it with partly my 'work' head on, and found it interesting from that point of view. Others may think it's just a piece of unnecessary sensational literature written for no good reason. The reader will make up their own mind.
on 10 August 2013
This book was good at first but oh so repetitive. This book was too expensive to justify the content. Don't buy it just google the name and you will get all that is in the book. Very disappointing.
on 6 July 2012
Well constructed and researched work , im sure there is more to come from both mr webster and this excellent new author, i look forward to charles lavery's next offering
on 20 January 2013
For many years I'd been intrigued by the life of M Webster so naturally wished to see what more could be revealed. The book is well written, however, I was secretly hoping the author may have had access to the masses of evidence not called for in court.
on 17 October 2015
Malcolm Webster killed his first wife Claire and went on to live in New Zealand with his second wife Felicity Webster, née Drumm and appears to have laid plans to dispose of his final girlfriend Simone Bannerjee. The story of Webster's life is gripping and as it progresses we become privy to the cold, confident and skilful way that Webster manipulates the three key women in his life story, forging signatures, plotting their eventual deaths, the first wife by a staged car accident and the second one a similar but failed attempt, leaving him able to astonishingly escape justice and flee New Zealand to Oban in Scotland where he cunningly manipulates his third target (Simone Bannerjee) faking cancer to the point of pretending to be in hospital in London, shaving his hair off to represent chemotherapy and coming back to carefully plot the eventual downfall of victim three by tampering with her lifejacket stored on her yacht, fortunately he was caught by the unusual police use of an Osman letter to warn off Simone.

I couldn't put the book down and read it in one day cover to cover, one of the best true crime books to emerge in recent years.
on 22 December 2013
Brilliant book. Fantastic offering from this young reporter, his eyewitness account of the journalistic reviewingof the evidence to the end.
on 28 June 2014
I watched the programme about Malcolm Webster, and when I saw the book I felt I must read it. The book was good, and if I had known nothing about Webster it would have been an even bigger revelation. As others have said it was rather repetitive, but it covered the whole story from all the different perspectives of criminal, victims and families. I am not sure whether I would have bought the book-borrowed from the library- as I find the great problem is that once you have read the book, it is unlikely you will want to read it again for quite a few years. The TV programme gave me a visual image of Webster although it was only an actor, but the actual photo of Malcolm Webster shows how he was able to do his heinous deeds, and never be suspected or doubted.
Good read, but a one off.
on 9 May 2014
As I am interested in true crime, and having watched "The Widower" on ITV, I had to obtain this book. it does show what ITV left out (e.g- the faked heart attack which caused the car to swerve over two lanes almost killing Felicity), but it is a pretty thorough read, and it also deals with Malcolm's early life. We also learnt how Malcolm's father refused to allow anyone in the house whilst he was washing, and we realise that Malcolm had a rather strange childhood.

I will not say anymore, except that if you are interested in this sort of thing, I would recommend it!
on 21 May 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book. I had watched the televised series but found a lot more information was given in the book. Whereas I feel reading a book after one has seen a dramatised television version of the story sometimes 'spoils' the book this had the opposite effect for me because there were a lot of points in the book that had not been mentioned in the televised version of the 'story'