5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun in the water
Bought this for snorkelling in the Maldives recently, it worked really well and I had so much fun taking underwater photos and films of all the fish and also taking photos of friends whilst swimming in the sea and in the pool. The catches were a bit stiff after being underwater but there was no problem with leakage. I really love this rugged little camera.
Published 21 months ago by BaldyBest

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad camera but wouldn't trust the waterproofing!!
Published 4 months ago by MD

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun in the water, 6 Mar 2013
This review is from: Fujifilm FinePix XP170 Digital Camera - Orange (14MP CMOS, 5x Optical Zoom, Waterproof, Freezeproof, Dust/Shock Proof) 2.7 inch LCD Screen (Electronics)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good All Round Camera with Some Impressive Features, 18 Oct 2012
Amazon Customer (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This camera is a good all rounder which will comfortably fit in any pocket, and takes presentable pictures very easily, but the price point at time of writing is not far below the hybrid range. The wireless transfer and shock/waterproof functionality seems to add measurable cost to the camera, so you'd have to feel these are a priority for you.

All cameras can take great photos in sunny outdoor settings, the challenges occur when you break from this. Indoors, the camera has fairly average shots and struggles in under lit rooms, similar to how you would expect a mobile phone cam to operate. However, it does have a trick up its sleeve, one "pro low light" mode, which can seemingly take multiple shots in low light and stitch (like layering paint to get a brighter finish) them to make a clear photo. It even works without blurring when the targets move significantly, like animals and children. Very Impressive! The flash mode is not great. You are better off using the mode mentioned above. Image quality: it's nothing to complain about, but nothing to write home about either.

There are a whole host of the pre-set style modes for taking pictures, like flowers, party, some interesting looking underwater modes, but an auto mode lets the camera decide which mode to use. Mostly it does this well. Face detection is hit and miss, and doesn't add anything obvious to a photo as far as I can see. Some clever self timer modes, like waiting until 2 or more people are in the scene before taking a shot sound great, but I couldn't get them working reliably.

One of the big features of this camera is its ruggedness. Whilst rigorous testing for a few weeks (including allowing a small child to handle it) did not manage to break the camera, bear in mind that while it claims to be drop proof up to 2m, it did sustain minor cosmetic damage when dropped from 1m onto tiles (but the camera still works). I'm also surprised to see a lack of lens cap and no ridge around the rear LCD. scratches could happen to both, although I didn't observe either so perhaps its quite a tough plastic.

Wireless transfer: one of the main selling points so worth mentioning. It's meant to allow transfer to a mobile or tablet so you can instantly upload to Facebook or whatnot. You need the Fuji app for this. On Android, it works well, save for a few quirks if you're connected to wifi at the time, which isn't likely if you're out and about. It uses adhoc wifi to transfer, so has to disconnect you in order to connect the camera. This works, for sure, but its a bit fiddly to time it right, at least on Android. It didn't cause any problems in the field though so more a tip than a concern.

Summary: I like the ability to share photos immediately as the camera is faster and better than on any of my phones / tablets. I like the pro night mode, I wish my DSLR did that. I would and do carry this round with me on days out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, 5 Aug 2013
I got this camera for Christmas last year and it's been fantastic! I am a little clumsy and also do lots of outdoor stuff such as climbing - so it's been really good for that too! Had fun taking underwater photos with my sister on holiday too. Would definitely recommend it. Only problem is the battery takes a long time to charge (but does last ages!). I'm looking for a spare and a car charger at the moment - but not having much luck so far!

5.0 out of 5 stars A big improvement!, 9 April 2013
We took the predecessor to this camera to
Kenya last year, and it was excellent, we took some great film of reef fish and so on.
So I decided to get a second one so we can both have one this year.
This years model is a bit bigger and MUCH more rugged. The latch on the battery and SD card slot is much improved and can't open accidentally any more (you did need to be careful before).

5.0 out of 5 stars superb, 12 July 2013
This has never failed me yet. I let my kids use this camera and I never need to worry about it

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, perfect for holidays, 4 July 2013
Only bad aspect is the lack of a shutter on the lens, so it can get quite dirty.
Otherwise a brilliant camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars From the Riverside, 14 Jun 2013
Fine bit of equipment, solidly construted with well laid out controls. Images tend to be noisy at high ISO, but still gives decent quality photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic all rounder, 10 Jun 2013
Bought this for a snorkelling holiday - the wireless transfer of photos to smartphone or iPad is brilliant. I love this camera....

5.0 out of 5 stars It rains a lot in Wales, 14 April 2013
I have a lovely little Samsung but unfortunately when the shutter closes - any rain drops get spread across the lens... Now you might say don't use it in the rain, however, I live in North Wales - famous for the green valleys - that need rain to keep them that way! I thought as it rained so much last year maybe a waterproof camera would be the answer. My Funjifilm Finepix has become the perfect answer! I take it out in all weathers when I am travelling and it copes really well - the lense is easy to clean when it gets snow or rain on it, and the limitations of 5 x zoom are negligible in the scheme of things. Recommend this camera but buy a case as well as the open lense is vulnerable to scratching iof kept in a pocket!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad camera but wouldn't trust the waterproofing!!, 10 Aug 2014
Been using this since buying it in March 2013. Was really happy with the camera, got some great pictures when in California and some other holidays. This year though we went to Mexico with the intention of snorkelling. First two days it worked fine after being in the sea but on the third day whilst swimming out to a reef, I tried to take a picture but the camera was dead. Battery was fully charged so no issues there. Dried off the outside when we got back to the beach and then opened it up and it was wet inside!

Very annoying as this was near the beginning of our holiday. Overall the camera worked well and I'd recommend it to anyone who had no intention of going near water but if like us you want it out in the sea I'd look at other options.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›