4.0 out of 5 stars Terrible typos!
Published 15 months ago by Barnaby B.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Story, Terrible Translation
I'm assuming this book was originally published in Norwegian and has been translated into English. If I'm wrong and the author is a native English-speaker then I'm amazed it got published, really.

Published 10 months ago by Mr. Russell Newton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrible typos!, 16 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Sohlberg and The Gift: an Inspector Sohlberg mystery (Inspector Sohlberg Mysteries Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
This is the first Jens Amundsen novel I've read.I'm a "Nordic Noir" enthusiast of many years standing and while I found the plot of this one clever and believable I was intensely irritated by typo errors;e.g.:"discrete" for "discreet" many times throughout,""hanged"where it should have been "hung" and a general clumsiness of phrasing.The language limps and stammers where it should flow and this spoiled what I feel could be a very compelling novel.
Cymru 99

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Story, Terrible Translation, 21 July 2014
Mr. Russell Newton "rusnewton" (London, UK) - See all my reviews

The story itself is pretty good and some of the characters have depth to them. But the prose is pretty dreadful. If one of my teenaged sons had written this I'd be sending it back with criticism of repetition, spelling errors, and just poor use of language.

I don't know how it reads in the original so hard to say whether to blame Amundsen or his translator, but the publisher should be shot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Reading Ever!, 1 Jun. 2014
These two books by Jens Amundsen are amongst the worst I've ever read. I thought that the first was an aberration of some sort - badly written, poorly plotted and with stereotypical and badly drawn characters with whom it was impossible to identify in any way.
The only reason I started the second was that I had bought both at once in order to have back-up holiday reading.
As soon as I began, I realised what a mistake I had made and, reckoning that life is too short I stopped after three pages. This one was even more sexist, racist, elitist and any other 'ist' you can think of than the previous one and so, reckoning that life is too short, I stopped reading after one chapter.
Since then I have warned anyone I know to avoid this author like the plague. He gives Nordic noir a bad name, but has taught me a valuable lesson insofar as I will know never again to type such a broad category into the search engine as I may end up with stinkers like these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Grows on you, 14 Feb. 2014
Having just read the Martin Beck series I purchased this in a attempt to continue in the Swedish crime genre, its good and once you get into it is addictive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 15 Sept. 2014
D (suffolk, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is either dreadfully written or dreadfully translated - it was really hard to read though the plot did have potential. Also never a page goes by without a political point being made in a heavy handed and naive way. It gets really irritating. Henning Mankell or Jo Nesbo this isn't and I shan't bother with another Sohlberg book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 7 April 2014
Disappointed because this is out as book number 2 but in reality it is his first book released in 2005. Much better to have read them in order.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not disappointing but close, 3 Mar. 2014
This book serves to illustrste that basing stories in Scandanavia or other bleak countries does not a good crime novel make. This was acceptable but lacked the detailed characterisation of Mankell and the sheer terrible decriptive powers of Nesbo.I will give others in the series a go to see how things develop with furtherreading.

4.0 out of 5 stars A different nordic policeman, 28 Feb. 2014
Quite enjoyed the story, as it also gives an insight into Norway. Guess the writer doesn't much like the liberal government of Norway with the comments he makes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reading, 6 Jan. 2014
I can not put the book down. We'll written and interesting and on top of everything free! What else can you ask.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kohlberg and the Gift., 10 Jan. 2015
A. D. Myerthall (edinburgh scotland.) - See all my reviews
This was a strange book and certain aspects of it were a bit upsetting. In general it was a good story but the authors descriptions of some things was a bit too graphic for me, I did wonder at times about the sanity of the author and will not read any more of his books in a hurry.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›