4.0 out of 5 stars An author I will definitely look out for in the future!
Published on 24 Oct 2007 by Lucy Felthouse

3.0 out of 5 stars If you like novels that come in a series
Published 4 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars An author I will definitely look out for in the future!, 24 Oct 2007
Lucy Felthouse (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gone (Paperback)
I'm not usually a huge crime-fiction reader, but this book was lent to me, and I'll generally read anything, and if it hasn't captured me within the first few pages then I'll leave it. But Gone didn't give me a problem, because I was interested in the story from the very beginning. The writing style wasn't marvellous, but the plot itself was intriguing, and I wanted to know what happened to the characters, and why.

This is the story of Pierce Quincy, an ex-FBI profiler, and his wife, Rainie Conner. They've recently separated due to various problems in their marriage, but mainly because Rainie has a drink problem which she won't admit to. Quincy is at his wits' end because he doesn't know what to do to help his distant wife so he leaves, hoping to shock her into realising she has a problem. However, Quincy soon regrets his decision when he gets a call a few days later to tell him that his wife's car has been found by the side of a road and neither she or her beloved gun are anyway to be seen. Questions are whizzing round: was she drunk and had an accident, has she committed suicide, has Quincy hurt her and is putting on a good show, or is somebody else involved?

This is Quincy's worst nightmare. His wife has had a troubled past which is what has driven her to drinking of late, and he doesn't know if he has now lost her for good. It soon becomes apparent, however, that Rainie has not taken off of her own accord - she has been kidnapped. The abductor seems to have done his research on past kidnappings, as he adopts the alias of a criminal that was active eighty years ago. Trouble is, this kidnapper never had any intention of returning his victim alive - he was simply after the money.

As the police launch an investigation, Quincy insists on being involved - he has the expertise, after all. He puts together a profile of the man he thinks has taken his wife, but for once in his life, he curses the knowledge he has. It's all very well putting together evidence for cases he has no involvement in, whereby failure would simply disappoint him. If he fails this time, it could cost him the love of his life.

I enjoyed this book. It wasn't a particularly easy read, but it wasn't gruelling either. The pace skipped along nicely, and sometimes it made me want to read twice as fast because I was desperate to know what happened next. As I mentioned before, the plot was very exciting and Lisa Gardner has clearly done her research into the American policing and legal system because everything made sense, from procedures to red tape. Crime-fiction lovers will eat this up, but for those usually into more light-hearted books, I'd still recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another triumph for Lisa Gardner, 8 Jun 2006
K. Manley (Lincs. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone (Hardcover)
Having read all previous novels by Lisa Gardner, I was delighted to tuck into this one. I was certainly not disappointed! It is great to be able to follow characters through a series of books. You feel as if you really get to know them. These characters are interesting and very likeable in their own ways. You can certainly empathise with them. I recommend anyone who has not yet read any books by Lisa Gardner, to start with some of the earlier novels, but do start. I have been waiting a while for this one to come out! Lucky you if you havent yet discovered her - enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down- definitely worth a read!, 11 Oct 2014
This review is from: Gone (FBI Profiler 5) (Paperback)
Gone by Lisa Gardner is a complex, thrilling and extremely fast paced novel. If you are trying crime thriller for the first time this would definitely be one to recommend.

Having said that this isn’t for the faint-hearted, Gardner works hard to include as many emotions as she does plot twists. Throughout the whole novel I had a suspect in mind- I couldn’t have been more wrong. Not only does that say something about my terrible detective skills, but also it says a lot about Gardner’s ability to surprise her readers, and to confine the reader’s knowledge to what is necessary- trying to read between the lines did nothing to reveal the true criminal’s identity.

Going back to the pace, it was very fast- my advice to any reader giving this a go is to take your time, don’t read it when you’re very tired as you will miss interesting revelations and small details; also pay attention to the start of each chapter- every new chapter starts with a date and time-stamp which is crucial to keep in mind, when trying to keep up with the pace of events within the novel.

Gone is such a successful and compelling novel because it is so character driven. Rather than the requirements of the plot dragging the lead and supporting characters behind it; I very much felt encompassed by the array of lively and believable characters, Gardner very much fills the novel to the brim with supporting characters. Sometimes this technique is hard to pull off quite as well as Gardner does, it can feel crowded, but Gardner is wholly successful.

Descriptively again Gone is full to the brim, the emotions run raw and believable throughout and there is a brilliant mix of past and present tense; that keeps the current story alive and also gives the reader the character background they need, to feel more akin to the victims and supporting characters alike. There were so many plot twists and interesting facts littering each chapter than I couldn’t bear to put it down.

I really couldn’t find fault with this novel and if anyone is thinking of trying Lisa Gardner’s novels I say go for it- I myself am currently reading another of her novels- proof that I truly did enjoy reading Gone.

3.0 out of 5 stars If you like novels that come in a series, 29 July 2014
This review is from: Gone (FBI Profiler 5) (Kindle Edition)
If you like novels that come in a series, Gardner won’t disappoint. Of the two Quincys, I preferred Pierce; I felt he had more depth and life experience to him. His dark silences, a product of his childhood and horrifying work probing sick minds, not surprisingly make relationships difficult. His dealings with his estranged wife, the long silences between him and Kimberley, and the evolution of his relationship with Rainie are all elements easy to empathise with and give him a depth of character that Kimberley’s novels are missing.

As ever with Gardner, her psychopaths will draw you in and her novels are page-turners. Never afraid to have the killer close to home, whether in law enforcement or murdering family members, Gardner plumbs the depths of humanity and, yet, we keep reading.

Do I have a favourite novel? Probably The Next Accident because it merges Quincy’s family and profiling job right on his own door step. Say Goodbye is a very strong novel in terms of showing how children, abused physically, verbally and emotionally by their abductor, become dehumanised by their treatment. And The Next Accident shows how a community – and individual families – are torn apart by that all-too familiar phenomenon, the school shooting. Suspicion doesn’t have to be rooted in fact to do its job, it just needs to be persistent.

Overall, I’d have preferred more novels featuring Quincy and Rainie, with occasional input from Kimberley, as there was definitely more room for character development there. Despite the traumas in Kimberley’s back story, she never became more than one-dimensional for me. Preferred the oldies!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you haven't read it...give it a try, 19 Feb 2008
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gone (Paperback)
Lisa Gardner has written many books and her first in the Quincy series is 'The Perfect Husband'. There are also follow on books which I will detail below.

For this book we again meet ex-FBI profiler Pierce Quincy. His worst nightmare is quite possibly coming true. There is a car abandoned, with the engine still running and no sign of the owner. The problem is the car belongs to his estranged wife Rainie Conner who was an ex-cop. When Quincy starts to receive ransom notes he decided to call in help in the form of his daughter Kimberly who is an FBI agent and her partner Mac to help him find Rainie. Quincy is well aware that he is racing against the clock as he tries desperately to find Rainie and the person responsible. There is one man who also knows what happened that night and he has his own plans. He has already contacted the media and is intent on money and power. Can Quincy and Kimberly stop him or is it too late?

I have read and followed the Quincy series of books that Lisa Gardner has read but this book can be read on its own as the characters and past are explained in summary to you. However, Lisa Gardner's style of writing is great and she has a real knack for drawing you in and becoming really familiar with the characters and their flaws. This is what I love about the way she writes the series. I will be honest and say that my only worry is that other authors who have tried to do follow on series have sometimes gone off the boil. Lisa Gardner certainly hasn't followed suit and I can only hope that she continues to write her books as well as she has done up until now.

This particular book was a fantastic read and had me hooked from chapter 1 and I highly recommend not only this book but the whole Quincy/Rainie series.

Since I am editing this review in October 2009 and the book was published in 2006 you will see below that I have provided a list that can be read in order of publication for this series.

The Perfect Husband January 1998
Say Goodbye March 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Just plain WOW!!!, 23 Oct 2006
M. Abbott "Book bird" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone (Paperback)
Oh my god, this has to be the BEST Lisa Gardner book to date. It's so difficult to put down I was still reading at 3am!! The book is so well written you feel like you're right there with the characters. A 100% must read.

3.0 out of 5 stars A credible read with a grand finale., 12 Aug 2006
Michael Watson "skirrow22" (Halifax, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Gone (Hardcover)
I'm a first-timer with this author so I was wondering if I'd be missing out in being able to understand the characters in this story. No worries! It didn't detract from a very good storyline combining personal relationships with hard-nosed tracking of a double-kidnapper. I guess there's more to Rainie than meets the eye in this book but, nonetheless, she plays a pivotal role in dealing with the kidnap. I didn't catch on to the perp at all but, on checking back, there aren't that many clues even when you know who dunnit! I like the fact that the main players are that much older; it gives a feel of gravitas to the police procedures and one can empathize with them as they face their own dilemmas.

On the down side, I still don't how the kidnapper was able to secure his victim initially and the red herring of a murder halfway through the investigation seemed to be out of step with the way the characters were evolving. On the plus side, I read that the author has two barking-mad dogs at home. I'm delighted they didn't feature in her book!

I don't know where Quincy and Rainie go from here but then, I'm not the author, so if there is another follow-on, I'll certainly be up for it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terribly disappointing, 26 April 2010
This review is from: Gone (Paperback)
Having read the reviews, I was very excited about this book. Really looked forward to reading it however I am afraid that it was miserably disappointing. I really cannot see where other 4 and 5 star reviews are coming from. I am all for a good thriller, reading James Patterson, Simon Kernick, however this was just not up there. In my opinion, the story line was laborious, unbelieveable and hardly made for gripping reading. I continued reading just for the sake of it, incase there was some WOW factor at the end, alas, no. Cannot recommend at all. I also bought 2 other books written by Lisa Gardner, and am somewhat dubious about starting to read them after this experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fifth Book in an Excellent Series, 30 Aug 2007
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gone (Audio CD)
Lisa Gardner sold her first novel when she was just 20 years old. In 1993 she graduated magna cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania with a degree in international relations. She lives in New Hampshire.

Ex. FBI profiler Pierce Quincy has seen it all, done it all and got the tee-shirt, but when his estranged wife Rainie Conner goes missing, it is the beginning of a nightmare that seems as though it is never going to end. All the authorities have to go on is an abandoned car on a desolate stretch of highway, the engine still running, a purse still in the driver's seat and Rainie gone. There are no other clues to her disappearance . . .

There are plenty of people who may wish Rainie harm, that is the nature of the cases they have done in the past. All pierce knows is that he will have to work fast if he has any chance of saving Rainie and he will do anything to get her back.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well paced, 19 Mar 2007
This review is from: Gone (Paperback)
Reasonably quick suspense with a host of characters. Quincy's cop wife Rainie has gone missing late one night while out driving. The next morning a handwritten ransom note reaches the local daily for only ten thousand dollars and some fame. Is the kidnapper that simple? A fair few twists for an enjoyable read.

Gone (FBI Profiler 5)