3.0 out of 5 stars Worth the read, but not in isolation, 15 Aug. 2012
I. Dillingham - See all my reviews
In this short book, Mike Dewar introduces D3 and makes a persuasive case for building visualizations using JavaScript, SVG, HTML and CSS.

Attempting to cover the four underlying technologies, as well as D3, is clearly an impossible task in only 57 pages, so Dewar deserves credit for keeping things relatively simple; he develops a handful of graphs that exemplify some useful D3 methods and highlights a core D3 idiom (selectAll, data, enter) in the process. In each case, I liked the reminder that effective visualization is as much about good design as well written code; it was also nice that the examples were based on 'real' data.

One of the main drawbacks of "Getting Started with D3" is that it's too ambitious. Readers will need more than a sprinkling of JavaScript to make the most of this book and although SVG, HTML and CSS are reasonable prerequisites, there aren't enough pointers to alternative resources (I'd recommend the Mozilla Developer Network, for example). Similarly, the chapter on force-directed, histogram and stacked layouts is hurried. More importantly, however, are the errors in the code examples, which are likely to frustrate beginners.

In many respects, this book marks D3's transition from academia to the mainstream; at the very least, it should give the reader some confidence that D3 isn't going to go the way of Protovis, its predecessor. In summary, "Getting Started with D3" is worth reading, but not in isolation. And do check the errata!

(Full disclosure: I received a free copy of this book through O'Reilly's Blogger Review Program.)

2.0 out of 5 stars d0.003, 20 Mar. 2013
What content there is I found to be easy to read and follow the examples. I have already been messing around with d3 before reading the book and it certainly some things clearer for me. It fits the title of "Getting Started with..." fine.

The price is not really in line with what you get, though. I think this would work better as a £1 ebook sweetener to buy a full d3 cookbook or nutshell version. What rubs salt on the wound is several pages wasted on explaining how to read the book. Really? I think if you are at a level of intelligence capable of working with Javascript libraries that you can probably work out why some text is in italic or bold type.

On the other hand, I know more about the New York transit authority and their datasets than anyone living on the other side of the Atlantic has any need for.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not a book. It is a 57 page pamphlet., 14 Mar. 2013
I must confess I only have myself to blame. A quick glance through the other comments clearly state that this "book" is tiny. I think for £10 pounds it is not worth it. If you are looking to get started in D3 then you will be better off going through the examples/tutorials that can be found online.

The one thing of value that this book has taught me is in future make more of an effort to read the comments/description of a "book" before hitting the purchase button.

Feel ripped off.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrong purchase - I think, 22 Mar. 2014
Svend Johnsen - See all my reviews
Too difficult to understand with my background. May be at a later stage I can use it and appreciate it.

Getting Started with D3