Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.29

on 12 April 2009
I picked this book up at a second hand book shop, and started reading it on a Sunday morning, I finished it on the beach that same day. It is a fantastically written book that is extremely easy to believe. You get caught up in the life of Rose, the main character, along with her 3 chilren. Her husband walked out 8 years before and she has rebuilt her life, we catch up with her when he tries to walk back in and take what he thinks he's entitled to. The book follows her fight to keep what is hers, her family together and goes into detail about the relationship she has with her children and the people who she comes to rely on. I am now forced to order the rest of her books as I literally forgot myself and became part of the lead character's life, something that very few books make me do. Buy it, you won't regret it!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 23 April 2013
This is a really good read. Eight years ago Rose's husband walked out on her and her three children and was never heard from again, until now when he is back wanting to "regularise matters" between them. The story tells the effect his return has on Rose and her children in a very gripping way. As I was reading it I just wanted to shout out advice to Rose! The book is extremely well written and the story moves fluidly with good, well drawn characters who behave and speak in believable ways. They are normal people who are, for the most part, likeable but caught up in a situation that will strike a chord with a lot of readers who have stood in the shoes of Rose and her family.

It was very easy to get sucked into Rose's world and I was quite sad to get to the end of the story. Highly recommended.
on 28 March 2013
I had read this previously and enjoyed it immensely. It was just as good second time around. A lovely feel good read. Would recommend.
on 11 January 2014
First book I'd read from this author. I was disappointed in it - the characters are shallow and 2-dimensional, the plot thin and predictable. I couldn't really believe in it, people behaved in ways that weren't credible. The problem with 'real life' stories is that real life is essentially boring. To lift a story out of the boredom things need to happen, and in this book they didn't. One character (Angela) is caught with her fingers in the till and the police take her away. She's got nothing to do with the plot and I felt her storyline had been added at the last moment to try and inject a bit of interest in a dull plotline. It didn't, because we didn't care much about her, she was such a minor character, and what she did had no bearing on the main characters or their story. There was a paragraph near the end where the writer suddenly switched from past to present tense. I know why she did this, but it wasn't marked out with asterisks or a blank line top & bottom, it just happened without warning and therefore jolted.
on 27 April 2013
Easy to read. Shallow on the story line. I was always hoping there would be some thing unexpected or exciting but this never happened
on 21 July 2013
Lots of difficult emotions and ideas dealt with sensitively, sensibly and without rancour. I enjoyed this book - I'd not heard of this author but was interested by the blurb, and I'm glad I tried it. Is the ending a little too perfect, I wonder?!
on 11 August 2013
Something Like Love is the sequel to In The Beginning, the story of Rose whose husband Ben walks out of the family home and leaves her with 3 young children to raise with no money, financial support or any explanation as to why.

Something Like Love picks up 8 years later when Ben comes back into their lives as if nothing has happened and wants 'his share' of the family assets including Rose's little catering business which he also considers his.

The kids all meet with their father and each have varying degrees as to the state of their particular reconciliations but I thought how typical of this man to buy his way into their affections by giving them all quite a bit of money each when he is supposed to be stone broke!

I just loved the way Rose's lawyer and accountant work tirelessly to make sure Rose gets what 'she' is entitled to before Ben can even blink an eye and between all 3 give Ben his long awaited comeuppance in quite a spectacular way.

The conclusion of this book is really satisfying and I wish so many other women in similar situations were quite so fortunate but realistically they are not so I feel a great deal of sadness here. Women even in this day and age are thought of as less than, which is a great shame as many women put as much into the family and home as the men although each in different ways.

Well done Catherine, well researched and well written. Highly recommended, thank you.
on 30 August 2013
Loved this book found it very easy to follow with a nice happy ending. Will look to read more from this author.
on 21 June 2013
A lovely book for a bargain price. This made for a great relaxing read. It was like stepping into another families life. A fly on the fall so to speak.

I read somewhere that this is a sequel but don't let that put you off because it holds it own. This is a great story, well written and with fleshed out characters. I love this style of writing - descriptive instead of head on, whilst well paced and not too slow.

A winning theme - ex-housewife turned successful women find happiness, a new man and puts one over on the husband who recently reappeared after dumping het 8 years before.

Loved it and recommend it as a light read for sentimentalists everywhere.

This is an author I will be reading again. I wish more quality authors priced their books so reasonably. There are a few typos so read the sample first if that bothers you.
on 25 November 2013
A good read, story line was mostly fluent although a little disjointed in places. I felt that it's content touched on some serious themes and then just left them, making you feel a bit underwhelmed