5.0 out of 5 stars number 5 - a new breed of war time tales
Published on 9 Sept. 2006 by RD

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book but....
........woeful proof reading! I love James Herriots books - I read all the paperbacks in my teens, so have started to revisit them in my later years 😉. Unfortunately, the spelling mistakes and autocorrects in this version have somewhat deterred from my reading pleasure, hence the 3 stars. I hope amazon will take note and rectify it.
Published 5 months ago by Happy reader

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars number 5 - a new breed of war time tales, 9 Sept. 2006
RD - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Vets Might Fly (Paperback)
World War Two has begun and James Herriot who enlisted for the RAF has been called up. Leaving his new wife behind he heads off to London for the initial part of his training which includes lots of marching, running and other activities to make them fit for the forces. The book isn't really about what happens to him while in the forces but we do get snippets of it, mostly the more jovial ones. Most of the time he uses a memory from the forces as a launch pad into a story from his time as a vet.

Still funny as ever but this foray into the life of James Herriot tugs a little more at the heartstrings as it takes us back to a time of human suffering and camaraderie that only war can bring about. More first rate stuff by Mr Herriot!

5.0 out of 5 stars really brilliant, 17 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Vets Might Fly (Paperback)
I thought this book was absolutely fantastic!!!! It was so good I took a whole day out and read it. My favourite story was the last chapter when he went to the farmers but the farmer didn't realise he was a vet and was trying to calf a cow it took him an hour and took Jim a few minutes. It's a funny yet serious book set in the second world war while his wife is pregnant and he sneaks away and really has a way of getting around people. A loveable and kind chracter always helping people and friends out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light Anecdotes, 9 Sept. 2014
This is part of the well known "All Creatures Great and Small" series by James Herriot. These are an autobiographical set of books detailing the life of a country vet in Yorkshire in the 1930s and later.
This book starts with James having joined the RAF in the early days of World War II and follows his exploits therein, as well as many nostalgic looks back on his early years as a vet.
This is a light and entertaining book which I enjoyed. I have a feeling that much of what is written has been done so through rose tinted spectacles but that didn't make it any the less enjoyable. There are sad moments, though it never reduced me to tears, and amusing moments, though I never progressed to laughing out loud. It was just a light, entertaining read without much depth.
An ideal book for when your concentration isn't too great or you need a book that you can easily put down and pick up without loosing track of what is happening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another good read from James Herriot, 10 Mar. 2015
Tibblington "NSG" (Liorac-sur-Louyre, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vets Might Fly (Kindle Edition)
James Herriot is called up to serve in the RAF at the beginning of World War II and the book is how he passes some of his boring hours by reflecting on various happenings while giving veterinary service in his home town. As usual, there are many amusing episodes in James Herriot book but the final story in this one was not so much funny as amuzing and will bring a smile to the reader's face.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book but...., 29 Dec. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Vets Might Fly (Kindle Edition)
Love this book and easy to read

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Herriot classic, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Vets Might Fly (Kindle Edition)
Always enjoy his anecdotes of a vet's life, and particularly this one of his RAF training and helping out on a farm, where his veterinary knowledge unexpectedly came in very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Herriots are my favourite reads!, 2 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Vets Might Fly (Kindle Edition)
I love to read the Herriots and as I now live in North Yorkshre i love to see the locations for this series of books.
I think that they are funny,, super at describing local folks and the stories are so endearing

5.0 out of 5 stars A good entertaining read, 2 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Vets Might Fly (Kindle Edition)
I am Scottish and a lot of my family are from Yorkshire and I read these book when I was younger. It was great to revisit them now. A very entertaining read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely read, 24 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Vets Might Fly (Kindle Edition)
I love reading these books. As usual full of humorous tales of times in the Yorkshire dales as a vet. I enjoyed it as much as the others.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›