4.0 out of 5 stars ENJOYABLE ESCAPISM
For carefree Sinbad, the hustle too far - a death inadvertently caused. Powerful father of the victim swears revenge, killing Sinbad's brother for starters. Despairing but loving, their grandmother places on Sinbad a curse - he henceforth to sail the seas, never to spend more than a day on land. Only when more responsible will the curse be lifted....

12...
Published on 17 Dec. 2012 by Mr. D. L. Rees

1.0 out of 5 stars Uninspired
I beg to differ from all the five and four star reviews.
To me it was a big disappointment. More than once I found myself longing to hit the "fast forward" and being let out of that misery.
I bought a DVD evocating high adventure and found myself watching:
- a pyjamas clad salt monster
- an order of warrior monks dressed like the crew of spaceship...
Published on 26 Feb. 2013 by Matteo Beltramo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars ENJOYABLE ESCAPISM, 17 Dec. 2012
Mr. D. L. Rees "LEE DAVID" (DORSET) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sinbad [DVD] (DVD)

12 episodes, an initial disaster whittling those on board Providence to a few colourful characters. From then on - storms, magic, monsters, dastardly villains and formidable challenges.

Visually the series is glorious. Admittedly much else could be improved with storylines stronger, scripts more worthy (minus those banal exchanges), more convincing acting from some of the cast. Episode 12 may divide opinion - this venturing into far darker territory, all very psychological and none too easy to follow.

All that said, there is much to enjoy here - lively adventures, surprising guest names featured. Overall, a guilty pleasure - just in need of adjustments to propel it into a higher league.

(Three bonus features, including an interesting tour of Malta - the island ideal setting for most of the location shots.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Swashbuckling Sin-great, 30 Sept. 2012
Mr. N. J. Todman "mr_todtastic" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sinbad [DVD] (DVD)
Sinbad is a great romp. Our hero is fleeing from his past, yet sailing on to his magical destiny, as he undertakes a series full of pulsating adventures. His crew are loyal, quirky, have specialised skills and are genuinely likeable. Many of the episodes rely far more on suspense than the excellent CGI, and the acting, dialogue, plots and scenery are all first rate. We watched the series with our six and eight year old boys, and as a family we can't wait for Sinbad to set sail for a second series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting adventure with depth, 6 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Sinbad [DVD] (DVD)
I happened to see this Sinbad as trailer and since I already love the previous adventure films about Sinbad, both with real actors and animated, I was curious if this tv film would make something new and worth seeing. Well it is, and I watched the whole series almost without stop. The story line weaves in small clues about Sinbad's past, fast paced with some scary mythological creatures appearing and the many surprises and turns made me watch episode after episode. The actors are new and fresh, not depending on star status they bring a very good and deep performance into every story. The young Elliot Knight is really good looking with huge talent in acting. I am looking forward to season 2, hopefully they will make one. I gave 5 stars since I loved the adventures, the actors were both funny and added deep emotion when required. I will watch this DVD over again since it gave me a good feeling and I would love to be on such an adventure myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roc-ky start to plain sailing, 3 Sept. 2012
Patrick Mullane (Cork, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sinbad [DVD] (DVD)
I found this excellent family fare. Historically accuracy might be a tad on the weak side but the locations (Malta) are very evocative of the Arabian back-story, the various episodes have an underlying arc and the ensemble cast are believable as crew that meet the weekly but rather OTT challenges. The actor playing Sinbad, Mr Knight plays the role with a dash that is reminiscent of a certain Errol Flynn with a special mention to Mr. Inocian playing the irascible but worldly-wise cook to perfection. The CGI was initially a little underwhelming but the show's makers seem to have improved it as the season progressed. Overall, recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars highly reccomended, 27 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Sinbad [DVD] (DVD)
I really enjoyed this when it was on sky1 and can watch it again and again.The behind the scenes stuff is good too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sinbad Was Good, 2 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Sinbad [DVD] (DVD)
BEST, BEST, BEST series I've seen in a very long time. After the series finale; I thought that there would of been a second series. They way it was left led me to believe that "oh, I cannot wait what happens next" but the BBC cancelled it.

At least I own my very own boxset of the first series. I just hope that someone/production team may pick it up for a Series 2.

1.0 out of 5 stars Uninspired, 26 Feb. 2013
Matteo Beltramo (Milano, Italy Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sinbad [DVD] (DVD)
I beg to differ from all the five and four star reviews.
I bought a DVD evocating high adventure and found myself watching:
- a pyjamas clad salt monster
- an order of warrior monks dressed like the crew of spaceship Enterprise
- a gambler dressed like a Las Vegas showman
- a monstrous serpent intent to world distruction stopped because she was allergic to nuts.
Add to these a cast who never ever seemed right for the part and you get a DVD you long never to have bought.
Not everything was an utter failure. Some of the places and landscapes are very good and the roc appearing in the second episode is very well made monster, but even this is ruined by the poor script, instead of it being an awe inspiring creature ranging the skies, it is a prisoner of some second rate pirates. But it is too little to get a rating of more than a star.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time, 29 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Sinbad [DVD] (DVD)
If you are going to screen a remake of Sinbad, Make it feel like the original story.
In this series we have a number of weakly plotted storylines that could take place anywhere or anytime. Even the dialogue is 21st century. If I had heard Sinbad say "ok, let's do this thing" one more time I swear I would have screamed.
The series is colourful but the characters are weak, the acting poor and the whole production doesn't rise above the level for an audience of ten year olds

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Family Viewing, 29 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Sinbad [DVD] (DVD)
I thoroughly enjoyed this DVD of the tv series. The actors portrayed their characters realistically, there are meaty roles for the women and a variety of well-known actors making guest appearances. There is at least one exciting CGI creature/effect per episode and the scenery is lovely. All in all, brilliant family viewing. I can't understand how another series was not commissioned - let us have The 2nd Voyage of Sinbad!

3.0 out of 5 stars NEW TAKE, 23 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Sinbad [DVD] (DVD)
A new take on an old story and as such could have been better with stronger story lines.
Although this series showed promise someone clearly did not think so and cut it after one series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sinbad [DVD]
Sinbad [DVD] by Elliot Knight (DVD - 2012)