5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended. Awesome Product
I have to say that i was skeptical about this product as i was unsure how it would turn out as there weren't many reviews on it.
So here is the bottom line. This Product is really worth the , it does what it says on the tin & it is so simple to use. I didn't bother with the manual as i find them to confusing at times.
Simply download the software (i used mine...
Published 15 months ago by Denelle

3.0 out of 5 stars Did not work out of the box with Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks
I tried to run this on my macbook pro downloading the driver from their website.

After installing / restarting I was able to see only facetime camera in iGrabber "digitizers" menu.

Published 6 months ago by Giovanni D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended. Awesome Product, 30 May 2013
This review is from: August VGB200 USB 2.0 Video and Audio Capture Card for MAC and PC - S Video / RGB to USB Transfer Cable - External Grabber Lead for Window 7 / XP / Vista / Mac OS X v10.5 or above (Personal Computers)
Simply download the software (i used mine on a MAC) connect the cables and hit play on the device.
Then you go to the Video, Sound & Record settings and enter your specifications.
The only thing i found was when the software says "Press the mouse button to record/Stop" You actually have to use the the button on the Capture device itself.
Works like a charm, actually just completed 8 old VHS tapes of my wife's Childhood memories.
Highly recommended. Awesome Product

Denelle

3.0 out of 5 stars Did not work out of the box with Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks, 12 Feb 2014

I tried many things and after some hours I found that the latest version of VideoGlide from the EchoFX website does work, the only problem is that the provided serial number is valid only for iGrabber and not for VideoGlide even if the two applications looks the same.

I tried to contact August reporting this to them and I'll see what their answer is.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works fine if you explore, 15 Mar 2013
Product works fine but I had trouble getting the software (Grabber for Mac) to receive the audio from the USB connection. It turned out I needed to select 'USB device' from one of the menu items. (Audio menu?) This is not in the instructions which is why I only give 3 stars. Also by the way I recorded 90 mins of VCR tape and the resulting video file is 9 gigabytes. However it burns onto a DVD fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an excellent bit of kit !, 10 Sep 2013
I had a pile of Hi-8 camcorder tapes in my cupboard that had gathered dust for the last decade, and I had almost forgotten what was on half of them.
Unsure if they would even still be watchable, I bought this little dongle thinking, quite honestly, that it was a bit of a gamble. But it was cheap, so I gave it a go.
I make no claims to be any kind of IT whizz, but I managed to load up the software first time on Windows 7. It was when I plugged in the camcorder using the supplied USB cables though, that my low expectations were spectacularly overturned. Footage of the family from twenty years ago, including dodgy haircuts, strange fashions and some relatives who sadly passed away years ago, all appeared like magic on my laptop screen and I was gobsmacked.
The disc that came with the device also has software for burning DVDs, and this too is surprisingly good.
The only tip I would offer is that the MPEG files you download in this way are very large (several Gb at a time), so you need to constantly keep burning them straight onto DVD discs and/or a portable hard drive - but if you have got old non-HD, non-digital home movies, as I did, then your efforts will be more than rewarded.
All in all, this is a fantastically good value little device, with excellent software, and I would really recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work, 13 Aug 2013
The drivers did not work and the support staff could only tell me to go on to the net and download the latest drivers. These also did not work. Complete waste of my time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, works great, 30 July 2013
David Rynne (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I received this product yesterday and within 10 minutes I was set up and ready to go.

Installation was simple
My laptop doesn't have a dvd drive so I downloaded the drivers from the website, the address is on the packaging

I have windows 8 64bit so I selected the drivers in the x64 folder and they installed fine

I then installed the arcsoft software and I connected it to my VCR via the composite cable supplied. (I used a scart adapter, which is not included in the box)

I clicked on the tab 'grabber' in the arcsoft software and I was asked to select my input. I selected 'igrabber' and immediately, the picture from the VCR was displayed in the window on my laptop

The sound was being captured from the Laptop microphone, but I selected the audo source as 'line' and it picked up the sound from the video.

Then I hit record, and everything that the VCR played, was saved as an MPEG file on my laptop.

This is so handy as we have lots of family videos and stuff on the camcorder that we don't want to lose and I'm making a montage of videos for a family gathering so having the home movies in digital format is great.

Great product and a really nice price. When I'm done, I'll lend this to all my family so they can rescue their home movies from tape limbo too :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many irritations to recommend strongly, 14 May 2013
F. Odds - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The existing reviews of this device suggested it should be fine for my intended purpose of copying some old VHS material to hard drive. The quality of the source material didn't justify any higher price for the job. The bottom line is that I've succeeded in copying my tapes; the device does work. But the level of irritation caused by the software, (not the hardware, which is simplicity itself) is unreasonably high. Hence the two-star overall rating.

Here are the cons. Installation: the instructions tell me to expect two new devices to appear in my (Windows 7 64-bit) Device Manager when the drivers have been installed. In fact only one device appears, and it's called iGrabber, not USB 2.0 video capture. (iGrabber is supposed to be the Mac version, according to the instructions: ??!) If I took the instructions literally, as someone less computerate might do, I'd still be trying to install the right drivers. Capture software (Arcsoft ShowBiz): yet again what confronts you on your screen is not the same as the instructions show. A bit of common sense quickly solves this, but why can't the manufacturer get things right? What's really frustrating about the software is that it automatically saves captured videos to your User>videos file on the C drive and there's nothing you can do to change that. (Yes, I did try all the possible settings options.) Since I normally use other drives for my video work, all I can do is capture to the C drive then move the files where I want them. Not a big deal, but an irritation. Finally, the exit warning box ("save file before exit?") doesn't display any option buttons.

I'm pretty sure that the software glitches arise because it was first written before Windows 7 appeared, and has only been roughly patched since. But Windows 7 has been the standard now for several years -- we're on Windows 8 on new computers -- so it shouldn't be too much to expect those who sell accessories to keep up with the state of play.

Edited to add... It gets worse. I unplugged the adapter then returned later to replug and capture something more. The now driver failed to work (Device error code 10). Took me the best part of an hour to get the darn thing running again. The driver install routine provided on the CD does NOT repair install as it suggests. You have to go via the Device Manager and update the defunct driver from the folder on the CD, then reboot. This product is recommended only for those with good computer experience who are prepared to faff about getting it to run.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great but takes some experimenting with the settings to get it right, 7 Jan 2014
This has enabled me to record my old VHS tapes on to my computer.

The hardware:
I had a scart adapter which I set to out put and put in the back of my VCR. Included in the package is a black male to male cable which is just under 1 metre long. That will then plug into the white, red and yellow inputs on the device. Then you can plug the device into a spare USB slot. The device has a button on which you can use to start and stop the recording, but you don't have to use it.

The software:

A software CD came in the box but I was unable to install the software from the CD because it is a mini CD and not suitable for the mac slot-in disc drives. But the cd also includes a link to download the software from the internet so I did that. Those software is called iGrabber. It took me a lot of trial and error to find the right settings that would allow me to end up with a decent sized file of reasonable quality (ie ~700MB avi file file a movie). I will list the setting that I use now...
Record > Video Settings > Compression > Compression type: H.264
Record > Video Settings > Compression > Frames per sec: 25
Record > Video Settings > Compression > Compressor: Best
Record > Video Settings > Source > iGrabber composite or s-video depending on what cables you have
Record > Sound Settings > Source: USB device
Record > Custom size: W=2048, H=1536 (for normal size) or W=2560, H=1440 (for wide screen)

This will yield an output file that is roughly 10GB per hour (I know it's huge, but other compression types give even larger output files! Oh, and no matter what compression type you select the output is always a .mov file.

Once that out put file is made I then use a program called "flv crunch" which I found on download.com to convert that into an avi or mp4 and in that program I set the resolution width to "1/2" for a VHS recording or "2/3" for a wide screen recording and I set the height to "Calculate". That should leave you with a file of reasonable size and quality (~500MB per hour).

If you have any questions then comment on this review.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be warned this does not work with any of the later OSX operating systems if you are a Mac user, 21 Mar 2014
ROBERT Timms (London England) - See all my reviews
I don't think this works with OSX 10.6 onwards.Be very careful,you are best to doing a lot of research on vas video capture first on Mac forums

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly works well, and good Support when it doesn't, 22 Dec 2013
I bought this in July this year (2013) for my Windows 7 laptop. Installing it was no problem, and the s/w, called Arcsoft Showbiz, is easy to use. There were just a couple of dropdown menus where I had to select to capture from the device and to 4:3. I have lots of videos of family and of amateur shows to put onto hard disk, and I used it constantly for months without problem. Even when I captured many hours of video into one huge file I had no problem.

Then a few days ago, in early December, it suddenly stopped working. That is to say, when I connected it again after leaving it disconnected for a week or so, it was no longer on the Source dropdown in ArcSoft Showbiz, so I couldn't select it to capture from. I've no idea why this happened.

I tried to reinstall the drivers from the CD, but it wasn't clear how to do it. I clicked Driver Install in the Setup, but it didn't install them. So I emailed their Support department. I had to send a few reminder emails, but then they set up a TeamViewer session to take remote control of my computer, at a time to suit me, and installed the drivers for me. It's now working fine again. This was really personal service, much better than I expected for a product that cost not much over 20.

So at present I'm pretty impressed both with the device and with the support.