5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for a beginner
After a false start with the first bike I ordered (virtually the last piece to put together was out of sync with the rest of the bike unfortunately) I am really pleased with this model.
As somebody who is starting exercising from scratch I find it really comfortable, with its wide, well-padded seat, the console easy to set up and understand and am relishing the...
Published 21 months ago by Travelled Far

3.0 out of 5 stars Bike itself is great, one you've actually got it, and it's actually together..
Amazon's Prime service, which gives you 'guaranteed' next day delivery (they should really look up the definition of that word) failed again. Waited in; no bike.

Cancelled the order, and reordered for a different day, and it actually arrived. Great!

I spent about 45mins putting it together (fairly simple), but when it came to attach the handlebars,...
Published 13 months ago by Matt

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Near silent. More likely to not hear things over your panting rather than the bike!, 16 Nov 2014
This review is from: York Active 110 Exercise Cycle (Sports)
I had a bike/cross trainer that was very noisy, I exercise just about every day but the only thing I could watch on tv was Deal or No Deal because I could hear nothing but the exercise machine. I am writing this review because no one mentioned what I needed to know.... is it quiet enough to hear music or the TV?

Thankfully yes, it's near silent bar a little whirring as you frantically pedal! Because the resistance is caused by magnets there is no 'Friction noise'. It takes a bit of getting used to, I found I thought I wasn't working hard enough because I had no aural guide as to the resistance, I found out differently having bumped up the resistance to a point where I found it hard to pedal for more than 5 minutes without gasping for breath! Now I'm used to it I get a decent workout and can watch TV or listen to music as I do.

On another note, I looked at the pictures and worried about the design of the seat. Being on an adjustable bar it looked a little flimsy. One I'm 5'10" and my seat position is right over the center of the support bar, and Two it's absolutely solid. I wouldn't be worried about putting it back further.

It's near silent, built well, sturdy base. There is plenty of resistance, lots of settings and a big clear display to collapse on! lol.

I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great once you get used to a change!, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: York Active 110 Exercise Cycle (Sports)
I got this bike for the name and the higher quality look of it (I hate those clunky looking grey/white things). The Delivery for the item was super. I paid a little extra for next day but was totally worth it. Was sent an email saying it would arrive between 8:41 and 9:41 and it arrived bang on 8:41!
The bike is packaged very well, everything in the box is covered in protective wrap (lots of stuff to despose of though). Included is a sort of tool kit you use to put the bike together. Its all sealed in separate plastic compartments that are labelled, so there's no sorting out of parts and tools.
The instuctions could be a little clearer but as long as you take some time to properly look at the diagrams provided (and look closely) then you should have no problem! I put this bike together in about 40minutes with no problems. I did it all myself and didnt need any help as some people have stated. The only breath holding moment I had was putting the handle bars on and i squashed some of the wires. They are easily trapped and a bit delicate so it needs some care to be taken.
The seat is much comfier than most bike seats I've encountered so far. It does get a little sore after vigourous or long rides and you can certainly feel it the next day. A gel seat cover could sort this out though if you're having major problems. I did have to raise the seat to almost the max level, I am 5ft8 so i wouldnt recommend it for anyone much taller. The bottle holder is on the front of the machine which i found odd but its not too difficult to reach. The pedals feel comfortable but I did keep catching my inner ankles on the pedal arms. I am used to the professional bikes in spinning class at the gym where there is usually more room for your ankles. It took a bit of practice and time to get used to turning my feet out a different way but now its fine. There is a noticeable difference between each gear available which is nice. You cant really do much in the way of standing position cycling on this as the pedals go a bit jerky. But wack it in to top gear and it is possible with some practice and care. The bike itself is very stable with minimal to no wobble
The digital screen remains in standby and can not be turned off when not in use (unless you remove the batteries). I can imagine this draining batteries quite fast. The distance measurement and time both seem relatively accurate. The pulse meter and calorie counter are way out though. If you get readings of around 500 calories I would take a couple of hundred off that. This seems to be the norm for all non professional bikes though to be honest.
All in all I love the bike. Are all the readings accurate? No. Is it as good as the bikes at the gym? No. But it is by far the best piece of home exercise equipment ive bought or even tried, once i got used to a new riding style. Its stable, it does the job, it looks good and I get a decent workout in the comfort of my own home. Oh and it is also very compact and easy to store!

4.0 out of 5 stars Exercise Bike, 6 July 2013
This review is from: York Active 110 Exercise Cycle (Sports)
Ordered on 4th of July and arrived on the morning of July the 6th.
I assembled it by myself, it was very strait forward and quick, around 30-40 minutes total.
I've just completed my first hour on it at level 6 difficulty, which burned an indicated 630 calories, covering around 27km. Realistically this would be more along the lines of 300 calories, I know this because I ride the same distance and time with more effort to burn approximately 320 calories on a real bicycle. So prepare to cut your total calories burned in half.

How ever this is not a problem, I did not buy this to count calories, I've always known machines will greatly over exaggerate their calorie expenditures due to the inability to calculate the users fitness levels, Weight, BMI & BMR etc.

What I did buy it for was to simply sweat, and keep my heart rate elevated whilst watching a movie or tv to aid in my weight loss, which it does perfectly.

Settings 5-7 are great, I find 5 is perfect for pedaling without requiring much concentration, and 6-7 for more of a work out, 7 being about equal to a moderate pace on a real road bike.

Setting 8 I have found quite jerky, it doesn't feel very smooth so I decided not to use it unless I need to simulate a mild hill climb.

The seat after an hour was fine, I only felt slightly uncomfortable but this is to be expected on any exercise bike where your body weight is constantly shifting from side to side, where as on my road bike there are often times, during long straights or declines where I rest the majority of my body weight on one leg that is locked out onto the pedal.

The handle bars are firm and hold well accept for the very tip position, they bend and flex quite a lot.

I think I may end up removing the bars and screen, and attach something more useful , such as a more accessible drinks holder and more sturdy bars from a real road bike, or maybe something to hold my wireless keyboard and mouse.

Pro's:
- Affordable
- Looks great
- Easy to put together
- Almost silent, can't be heard at all whilst watching tv
- Does exactly what I've bought it for
- Settings 5-7 are smooth and closely match a moderate intensity found in real cycling.

Con's
- Handle bars don't feel very sturdy towards the top when held onto at moderate to fast pedaling speed
- Setting number 8 (the hardest) feels jerky and not as smooth as the other settings
- No real use for the information displayed on the screen since I feel everything but the time is over exaggerated especially the calories.

How ever I would buy it again for my needs, and I would recommend it to a friend who was looking to lose weight at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars York Fitness 110 Exercise bike review!, 14 Dec 2014
MrE (E Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: York Active 110 Exercise Cycle (Sports)
Construction wise York Fitness don't skimp on the materials they use in their equipment and this is no exception. We have a home gym and a few weeks ago decided to get an exercise bike to go along side our treadmill, rowing machine and vibration training plate.

The legs that the machine sit on are very sturdy and are made from metal with heavy duty rubber pads at the corners to stop it sliding around if on tile flooring, at the same time there are wheels in the front bar so it can be moved quite easily without lifting (the machine is very heavy). The seat position can be adjusted to any number of positions so virtually anyone of any height can use fit. There are 8 settings which determine the resistance on the pedals, this can be operated from the dial half way down the main post, Setting 1 literally offers no resistance, while 8 provides the feeling that you are cycling up a steep hill.

Everything can be monitored from the screen which showcases all the information you may want including; distance, time, rpm, amount of calories you have burnt and if you place your hands on the metal pads on the handle bars then it gives you your heart-rate in beats per minute (which i have to say is very accurate). Now the screen requires 2 AA batteries in the back to work but they do last a few months. Just to clarify for those wondering... the machine does not use batteries, it's magnet based, only the screen is battery operated!!

Other things worth noting are that the seat size and padding is excellent and is identical to what you would expect on a high quality bike, also the pedals are high quality and have a loop which can be adjusted so as to keep your feet secure.

Overall very impressed with the quality and usability with a big range of resistance on offer between settings 1-8. Considering you can spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds on these machines i honestly wouldn't look further, the quality is top notch and if you look after it, it should last a very long time. Recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ride on, 12 Dec 2014
Crookedmouth ":-/" (As seen on iPlayer) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: York Active 110 Exercise Cycle (Sports)
My first impressions of this were "My god! What a brute!" until I realised that, bcause it's not a real bike, it doesn't have to be constructed like a £1000 racer - weight and aerodynamics mean nothing.

It was also remarkable just how small a box it was packed into. This worried me because it suggested that a pretty serious reconstruction effort would be required in order to deal with the thousands of parts that were bound to tumble out of the box when opened. I was pleasantly surprised to find that things weren't as bad as I was expecting - in the end it took me no more than 30 minutes to get the bike into working order. Not an EASY process by any means - the rear "foot" can go on in any one of four ways (probably more if you're particularly inventive) only one of which is correct - so pay close attention to the instructions. Putting the handlebars on is a little tricky too and an extra pair of hands wouldn't go amiss at this stage.

Once put together this seems to operate well as an exercise bike. I have no experience with these machines - this is my first one - but the tension control to adjust the rolling resistance and the LCD display make this what appears to be a basic but nicely functional machine. The display unit shows predicted speed & distance, pedal rpm, calories burned, elapsed time and even your pulse rate (there is a sensor in the handlebars). All very useful, although the refresh rate seems to be quite low.

The seat is big and comfortable as are the and pedals - quite comfortable enough that I can use the bike bare-foot. The handle bars' foam grips give off a rather plasticky smell and I wonder how long they'll last before I have to replace them with handle bar tape. The frame is also prety chunky - sufficiently agricultural to support my +100kg body.

Overall this seems like a very decent bike and good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent., 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: York Active 110 Exercise Cycle (Sports)
Read lots of reviews when we decided to go for an exercise bike. This product seemed to have most positive feedback and we have not been disappointed with our choice. Records calories, distance, pulse, etc., is comfortable, quiet and easily adjusted for different sizes of family.

4.0 out of 5 stars York Active 110 Exercise Cycle, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: York Active 110 Exercise Cycle (Sports)
Nice, sturdy exercise cycle. Fits well in the corner of my conservatory where I can exercise while watching TV or listening to the radio/music. Just what I needed but will have to build up my stamina after not doing much exercise for a couple of years.

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty, complete waste of time!, 23 Sep 2014
This review is from: York Active 110 Exercise Cycle (Sports)
Bike arrived quickly which was good (that's the one star) I then spent an hour and a half assembling it, instructions are not very clear, but I managed only to get to one of the very last instructions and realise the wire that connects all the electrics together was missing the all important connector! The bike will not work without this, rang Amazon, was told I had to dismantle (which will take me another 45 minutes) and send back to them before they will send me a replacement! A complete waste of my evening!! Not happy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Electronic display does not work, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: York Active 110 Exercise Cycle (Sports)
Very disappointed to open this, set it all up, and then find the electronic display did not work. It's a good sturdy bike, but I bought this for the display to monitor my work-outs, so to find that wasn't working was a real shame.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish computer, 4 Jun 2014
This review is from: York Active 110 Exercise Cycle (Sports)
I bought this a few weeks ago and from the off the computer was crap, it was easy to set up but it will only count activity at the 2 lower settings, after that it will not count anything at all. I tried to get help from York, they were not interested i then tried to get help from Amazon and did not even get a reply so i now keep a magnetic countdown timer fixed to it and use that to time my workouts.

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›