5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for a beginner
After a false start with the first bike I ordered (virtually the last piece to put together was out of sync with the rest of the bike unfortunately) I am really pleased with this model.
Published 16 months ago by Travelled Far

Amazon's Prime service, which gives you 'guaranteed' next day delivery (they should really look up the definition of that word) failed again. Waited in; no bike.

Cancelled the order, and reordered for a different day, and it actually arrived. Great!

Published 8 months ago by Matt

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for a beginner, 18 Mar 2013
This review is from: York Active 110 Exercise Cycle (Sports)
As somebody who is starting exercising from scratch I find it really comfortable, with its wide, well-padded seat, the console easy to set up and understand and am relishing the challenge I set myself every week. It's a silent, smooth, ride and leads me to believe that I can do a 'proper' bike ride within a very short time. Thoroughly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 16 Dec 2013
This review is from: York Active 110 Exercise Cycle (Sports)
I do not enjoy exercising however it is not a chore to spend a set period on the cycle. I was concerned as I am 1.95 m tall and thought the machine would be too small and uncomfortable . I was wrong on both points. Both my wife and I use the macnine on a regular basis and are already benefiting from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars York 110 exercise Bike, 26 Feb 2013
Blair 49 (Solihull England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: York Active 110 Exercise Cycle (Sports)
Firstly I will start by saying this exercise bike is very well made. It came quickly as usual from Amazon and it was assembled in under an hour, the instructions were clear, the packaging was good, and all the tools you needed to put it all together were thoughtfully included. It is attractive as these things go and doesn't take up much room either.

It is quiet in operation with quite a range of resistances to suit you, my wife likes to 'spin' whereas I prefer a fair amount of resistance to pedal against. There is a good range of adjustment and suits perfectly both my wife who is 5' in her stocking feet and myself a 6 footer.

I would have given it 5 stars except for 2 things, firstly the seat is not very yielding and somewhat uncomfortable after 10 minutes of use. That of course is easily rectified and courtesy of Amazon 48 hours later I had a new and very comfortable cycle seat to replace the original.

The second point concerns the computer display and sensor information (ie. pulse reading). In short I found it impossible to get to grips with and so basically I ignore it. For example after a hard 30 minute workout it shows I have used up approxiately 2 calories and gone about 100 metres. My pulse also shows zero which worries me because although I usually feel like death after using the bike I can still feel my heart pounding wildly in my chest !

So in conclusion if you are looking for a well made bike that offers just a little bit extra over the entry level ones, this York exercise bike comes highly recommended.

Edit. I have since discovered that I had the 2 sensor leads plugged in the wrong way round and having swapped them I can see my pulse rate, speed, distance covered, and calories burned etc., consequently I have changed the review rating to 5 stars !

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 9 Feb 2014
balbs (Reading UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: York Active 110 Exercise Cycle (Sports)
At 100 I wouldnt blame anyone for thinking that its not a serious piece of kit at all, but I had previously bought a York fitness bench wihich I thought was good value for money so was confident I might have the same experience and I wasnt proved wrong. Delivery was quick and well packaged - you mght need two people if you are going upstairs so my advice is unpack and check everything downstairs first, then take the parts to where you assemble. BTW Im the sort of person who cuts a piece of wood in half and ends up in three bits so if I could put this thing together so can you.

Dont be put off by the thought of assembly (even if York amusingly can't spell it correctly at one point in the manual!). They put all the washers, nuts and bolts in a blister pack, one washer type didnt quite match up with the drawings but it was easy to work out what that issue was. Read the manual through a couple of times and also look at the exploded drawing in the manual of the whole thing as that can help. You dont really need two people either, although it would be useful to have something like a shoe box just to elelevate the whole thing slighty when fitting the bottom leg supports (and note which way round they go on the wheel side - doh!). The only fiddly bit is when you attach the handlebars - theres a piece of trim which I found packaged up with the water bottle and didnt realise it was there until too late and had to reassemble that part. Two people at this point would also be useful as its a bit fiddly holding up the handlebars and trying to put the bolt and washers on.

Update

So been using for a couple of weeks now and even more impressed... I remember buying an exercise bike years ago and being frustrated by the jerky nature of the thing, not with this model - of course its not like a gym type chain driven bike but its smooth - unlike other reviewers Ive found the display pretty easy to use, the timer I find invaluable, and the heartrate monitor is pretty accurate (Ive checked against another type) - this unit is also very quiet which means you can get on with a bit of exercise in the morning without waking up half the street. I suggest that after a couple of weeks you check out all the screws and bolts as they are bound to work a little loose.

However minor points - York certainly hit the price/quality ratio on the button - perhaps the NHS would consider subsidising these instead of handing out tablets..

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one; here's why..., 2 April 2013
A. Mutimer "amutimer" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
Guys,

Build quality; excellent, and I am someone that can be very critical in this area. It really is good.

Functionality: Display is simple to use and understand. The resistance (which has grades) is quite enough for ordinary people. It won't be enough for serious athletes.

Comfort: Saddle height, horizontal translation and angle are all adjustable. The saddle itself is WIDE and it is comfortable (unlike some - look around). Handle bars are well judged.

In operation: It is not silent as some have said, but it is quiet. FAR quieter than the friction-based mechanisms you may have used in the past. The bike is totally solid, does not flex or waver when you peddle. You will feel safe.

Resale: This is more important than you think. Many, many enthusiasts give up, and you may be one of them. If you do, the York name will make it sell *far better* than some no-name brand. So, you pay perhaps 35 more than you absolutely had to, and for this you get a *significantly* better bike to use while you keep it...and then you very easily get 35+ more than you would have done on resale... It's a no-brainer.

Guys, this is the bike to buy.

Now, stop procrastinating, buy the thing and get riding! You flabby git!

4.0 out of 5 stars good bike for the money, 12 Dec 2013
This review is from: York Active 110 Exercise Cycle (Sports)
if you hate flat pack don't get it. but if you can manage a simple flat pack job you can put this together, with no problems (read the instructions!). I built nearly all of it in my own, the only bit that really requires two people is securing the handle bars. Setting the computer bit is easy too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, does what it's meant to. Good for taller people., 26 Mar 2013
This review is from: York Active 110 Exercise Cycle (Sports)
I've never used an exercise before and I'm not a cyclist, but I needed a compact machine to use at home so, after seeking advice from healthier friends, this was my choice. Mainly, to be honest, because it seemed the best choice for someone who is very tall (6').

Assembly went okay, though I gave up trying to attach the bottle holder. However, there was no specific instruction on how to secure the seat. For any cyclist I'm guessing this would be second-nature, but it took me but 2 hours of frustrating sodding around to work it out (instructions at the end, just in case anyone else is stuck).

As for the seat, I've read several reviews that state that the seat is uncomfortable or unpleasant, but it's my understanding that any bicycle seat will be unpleasant for those not used to one. It took about two weeks (ouch!) to get used to it, and it's still uncomfortable, but not painful like it was at the start. However, as I said, that's not specific to this machine, but to anything that has that sort of seat if you're not used to sitting on one. Grin and bear it, I'm afraid.

The features on the electronic display seem fussy but functional. I find having the timer right next to the speed irritating as I end up watching the clock instead of glancing at my pace and carrying on, and the display function seems to scroll through all of the ratings no matter what you want to be concentrating on to get through the time. It would be useful if you could set a minimum speed and have it beep at you whenever you dropped below - perhaps that's just my inexperience with this sort of thing talking, though. I still haven't figured out what the "recovery" function is for, beyond making me ache for an extra 60 seconds!

My main bugbear is the placement of the sensors for the pulse monitor. If the panels were a little higher or surrounded the entire grip it would be easier, but I have to have to have the seat high and all the way back to be able to fit on it with extended legs, and the handlebars cannot be adjusted to fit a taller person - you just tip them forward, which pulls the sensors at an ever more difficult angle. Once I've managed to twisted my wrists to fit such a bizarre placement while still cycling, the sensor takes quite a long time to get an accurate reading (more than 2 minutes). This can get quite uncomfortable, so I tend to t use the sensors at all.

However, this is all secondary to the purpose of the thing, I suppose: it's a bike that lets you exercise at home. It will fit tall people, and the resistance dial does make a discernible difference to how hard you have to work per click (as opposed to 1-5 being super-easy; 6-10 being impossible as with some resistance dials). The seat is a seat - I have no experience with bikes, but I'm told any seat would be as unpleasant as this one was to start with, so don't go choosing your bike based upon that alone.

For a tall beginner, I'd recommend it. Though for those who aren't familiar with bicycle maintenance, you have to place the seat on the rough-gripped column and then tighten the little nuts either side of the hole the column fits into on the underside of the seat (they're quite hard to get to when the seat is on the machine) until you can't move it any more. Make sure you do your final tightenings after testing the seat out first, as it will click forward and backward suddenly if not fully secured, but you can't adjust this angle afterwards. For a bike that has how to get the nuts and bolts out of the packaging in its instructions, it's a little surprising this more important - and less obvious - information wasn't also supplied.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great once you get used to a change!, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: York Active 110 Exercise Cycle (Sports)
I got this bike for the name and the higher quality look of it (I hate those clunky looking grey/white things). The Delivery for the item was super. I paid a little extra for next day but was totally worth it. Was sent an email saying it would arrive between 8:41 and 9:41 and it arrived bang on 8:41!
The bike is packaged very well, everything in the box is covered in protective wrap (lots of stuff to despose of though). Included is a sort of tool kit you use to put the bike together. Its all sealed in separate plastic compartments that are labelled, so there's no sorting out of parts and tools.
The instuctions could be a little clearer but as long as you take some time to properly look at the diagrams provided (and look closely) then you should have no problem! I put this bike together in about 40minutes with no problems. I did it all myself and didnt need any help as some people have stated. The only breath holding moment I had was putting the handle bars on and i squashed some of the wires. They are easily trapped and a bit delicate so it needs some care to be taken.
The seat is much comfier than most bike seats I've encountered so far. It does get a little sore after vigourous or long rides and you can certainly feel it the next day. A gel seat cover could sort this out though if you're having major problems. I did have to raise the seat to almost the max level, I am 5ft8 so i wouldnt recommend it for anyone much taller. The bottle holder is on the front of the machine which i found odd but its not too difficult to reach. The pedals feel comfortable but I did keep catching my inner ankles on the pedal arms. I am used to the professional bikes in spinning class at the gym where there is usually more room for your ankles. It took a bit of practice and time to get used to turning my feet out a different way but now its fine. There is a noticeable difference between each gear available which is nice. You cant really do much in the way of standing position cycling on this as the pedals go a bit jerky. But wack it in to top gear and it is possible with some practice and care. The bike itself is very stable with minimal to no wobble
The digital screen remains in standby and can not be turned off when not in use (unless you remove the batteries). I can imagine this draining batteries quite fast. The distance measurement and time both seem relatively accurate. The pulse meter and calorie counter are way out though. If you get readings of around 500 calories I would take a couple of hundred off that. This seems to be the norm for all non professional bikes though to be honest.
All in all I love the bike. Are all the readings accurate? No. Is it as good as the bikes at the gym? No. But it is by far the best piece of home exercise equipment ive bought or even tried, once i got used to a new riding style. Its stable, it does the job, it looks good and I get a decent workout in the comfort of my own home. Oh and it is also very compact and easy to store!

3.0 out of 5 stars Bike itself is great, one you've actually got it, and it's actually together.., 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: York Active 110 Exercise Cycle (Sports)

I spent about 45mins putting it together (fairly simple), but when it came to attach the handlebars, the hand-screw just kept spinning, and didn't tighten at all (there was no screw thread inside the main column - there's presumably supposed to be a nut welded inside).

I simply couldn't be bothered to dismantle, and go through a frustrating returns process (looking at other reviews), so managed to find a nut that just fits, although it was a fiddly process to line it up inside the handlebar column.

Now that it's up and running (or, cycling), it's actually very good. The variety of resistance levels makes it suitable for anyone to use, and it generally feels very stable. I'm 6ft, but it seems as though someone taller than myself would be able to use it comfortably.

The most important thing for me, was noise. I needed something that I could use before work (5.30 am) and not wake anyone in the flats above, so I was very pleased when I started using it. It makes a small amount of noise, but it's quiet, so you can do this whilst watching TV (at normal volume) and will still be able to hear everything.

The 'computer' is a nice touch, although I'm not sure I trust the heart rate monitor, or the calorie counter, but the timer and distance are useful. Also, a nice touch is that the computer doesn't reset when you stop pedaling; if you stop, take a break, or split your routine throughout the day, you get a nice overall count (to reset for each use, hold the reset button).

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent., 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: York Active 110 Exercise Cycle (Sports)
Read lots of reviews when we decided to go for an exercise bike. This product seemed to have most positive feedback and we have not been disappointed with our choice. Records calories, distance, pulse, etc., is comfortable, quiet and easily adjusted for different sizes of family.

York Active 110 Exercise Cycle