5.0 out of 5 stars Hiarious
This book had my husband chuckling loudly as he read - as well as educating me on extraordinary facts he had newly discovered. He enjoyed it so much I ordered further copies for presents as well as the sequel. I now await an opportunity to read both of them myself.
Published 1 month ago by A. Rodriguez-Veglio

3.0 out of 5 stars Merde alors ! what a rip off!
So it was cheap, at 0,99 euro, but even then ... It took me less than a quarter of an hour to read it, too.

Published 19 months ago by Affodell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Merde alors ! what a rip off!, 2 Sep 2012
Affodell "Affodell" (French Basque Country) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Annoying The French Encore! (Kindle Edition)

I'll admit that I laughed, more than once, in this follow up to 1000 Years of Annoying the French. It's supposed to bring it up to date, with four short chapters: on the possibility of merging the British and French navies; on the British Royal Family and French jealousy thereof; on the DSK affair (with an article Stephen Clarke wrote for the New York Times reproduced, presumably, in full) and untouchable politicians in general; and on the credit crunch.

To pad out the four chapters, there is an "about the book", an "about the author" and an introduction which paraphrases the "about the book". Chapter 1 starts at 5%.

At 55% there is an Appendix with corrections to mistakes in 1000 Years of Annoying the French

At 63%, it's all over, and we are treated to a taster of the up and coming The Merde Factor: (Paul West 5) so that Mr Clarke can make some more money. Not from me, mon pote, tu ne m'auras pas une deuxième fois !

3.0 out of 5 stars Annoying the french, 2 April 2014
This review is from: Annoying The French Encore! (Kindle Edition)
A very amusing read Bach. V. V. Yup. F2f vBulletin vBulletin cc vBulletin vBulletin vBulletin as vBulletin. By hi rf

3.0 out of 5 stars Too short., 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Annoying The French Encore! (Kindle Edition)
Loved A 1000 years of annoying the French and really enjoyed the Encore but I would have liked it longer and with a bit more depth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hiarious, 5 Mar 2014
A. Rodriguez-Veglio (Northamptonshire, England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A great addition to the book, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: Annoying The French Encore! (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved the book which is a story of the history of England seen through the backdrop of the wars in which England and France have shared - one way or the other.

This addendum continues in the same vein.

I say all this as a committed Francophile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Annoying The French Encore! (Kindle Edition)
Another brilliant book from Clarke. Love it and definitely recommend it whether you are French, English or just looking for a good satire book

4.0 out of 5 stars a trips down imagination road review, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: Annoying The French Encore! (Kindle Edition)
This is a mini-ebook which is an update for Stephen Clarke's book 1000 years of annoying the French (which I have also read).

Clarke has an incredibly witty way of writing about facts, which is kind of similar to his fiction writing skills in his book A Year in the Merde (and subsequent sequels which I am yet to read, but probably should). He also wrote a book on Paris that I have read.

His style makes something that could be incredibly dull very interesting, and though 1000 years focuses on history, mainly warfare and political, as well as little annoying things like where the baguette actually came from, Annoying the French Encore focuses more on the political side of things, and this is far more recent. I must admit that I was chuckling out loud at some points! It helps if you have a basic grasp of French history and political systems (I knew the France and the Fifth Republic, and France since the Revolution modules at Uni would be useful for something!) but it isn't necessary, Clarke has a clear and interesting way of explaining things!

One of the bits that made me laugh the most was the way that he described David Cameron walking out of an EU summit because of what Sarkozy said, made even funnier to me because it was about the same subject as my placement essay is (French Financial Transaction Tax!)

This ebook also goes into things such as the French jealousy of our Royal Family (true, I saw the French papers when the world discovered Kate was pregnant, important news was most definitely relegated!), French political scandals (and how the French just blow them over), who the French blame for the financial crisis (everyone but themselves), and the rumours of the merger of the English and French navies (to avoid 'bumps').

If you have never read a book by Stephen Clarke and you are interested in France and French culture (or you want a laugh) then what are you waiting for???? Get to a book shop or amazon and order now!

Blog: [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing add on, 4 Sep 2013
This review is from: Annoying The French Encore! (Kindle Edition)
Seems to hit them (the French), quite hard, but I quite enjoyed it. Hope the new full book is good

2.0 out of 5 stars Good, 10 Aug 2013
This review is from: Annoying The French Encore! (Kindle Edition)
Was ok, but could have been better. And I won't write more although the Amazon system insist for more words

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny book, 11 July 2013
This review is from: Annoying The French Encore! (Kindle Edition)
Good follow on to first book to 1000 years 'annoying the french'! I Will read more books by this author!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xac915600)

Annoying The French Encore!
Annoying The French Encore! by Stephen Clarke