on 26 February 2015
Outstanding not just for the price.
I own a pair of these HAS400W and recently had the opportunity to test them against a pair of Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium, my son's recording monitor headphones, at several times the price. They are both excellent headphones. Listening through a Rotel CD player and amplifier, and listening to Sia 1000 Forms of Fear, Remastered Led Zeppelin 4, PJ Harvey's White Chalk amongst others, there is a difference in emphasis in the two sets of headphones but no difference in quality. The Sennheisers are more analytic, the bass is taut, and vocals are crystal clear, but especially on the Sia album it sounds a bit thin. The JVCs seem to have much more mid-bass, giving the music more of a driving force and impact. Surprisingly this does not have an adverse effect on the clarity: all instruments are still in place, even at high levels where the Sennheiser's vocals sound shouty rather than analytical.
Short verdict: Both go very loud without distortion, Sennheisers balanced towards the vocal and top end, JVC more rounded and full.
What a surprise.
on 26 February 2015
I bought these after borrowing my co-workers JVC HAS500W headphones and loving them. Since you can only get the 500's imported from Japan and I didn't want to wait, I decided to go for these instead figuring they must be just as good.

I would say sound quality these are excellent, I have broken them in and the bass is incredible yet not too overwhelming.

The only criticism I have with them is the comfort which is why I have only given them 4 stars. There are 2 pads on the top to add comfort but for me they didn't really provide any comfort. On the 500's, you have leather memory foam pads which make it so comfortable but on these, the 400's, they are just hard sponge. If you push against the pads, they don't go inward to act as a cushion so it feels like the plastic is just resting on your head.
on 23 May 2016
The sound quality of these little headphones is stunning. The carbon nanotubes are a big improvement in terms of quality and surround. Bass are prominent and High are very well defined without crackling noise. I had numerous headphones but these ones are a real keeper.

These headphones are foldable which makes them pretty useful while travelling, The cord may be a bit shorter tho.

The padding for the head is not so soft, so it may start to be uncomfortable on longer sessions, but the ear paddings are very soft and always stay fresh even in the summer.
on 18 August 2014
great well pleased I have had a pair before but my grown up son was so in-pressed he sort of borrowed them but never returned so bought another pair for myself, so comfy sound is clear
on 13 September 2014
Love these headphones!! They are very comfortable to wear and the sound quality is crystal clear. Excellent purchase and not overly expensive.
on 22 October 2015
Don't spend a fortune on headphones these are superb
on 14 April 2015