5.0 out of 5 stars Quality budget monitor.
Great quality monitor for the price. Very thin and light. Lots of options and presets available for adjusting the picture. Every input you need. Super power saving mode. No complaints whatsoever.
Published on 26 Aug 2012 by Cami

3.0 out of 5 stars LG IPS 23
Published on 15 Oct 2012 by Phillip M. Griffiths

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality budget monitor., 26 Aug 2012
This review is from: LG IPS234V-PN.AEK PS 23 inch LED Wide Screen Monitor (Accessory)

4.0 out of 5 stars A few points, 10 Sep 2012
The monitor came with no dead pixels whatsoever so kudos to LG's quality control.
There are few buts:
Colours are quite nice but not perfect. The so called Mega Contrast Ratio delivers blacks that can see improvement. While making blacks black it also affects shadows of grey near the absolute black making them indistinguishable from the blacks. No amount of extensive tinkering could get the shadows look nice and crisp as in higher priced quality monitors. This can be quite serious issue if you want to edit photos but I guess it affects all of LG TVs as well so must be their engine's idiosyncrasies.
The viewing angles are good but still there is very slight shift in colour.
The intrusive red power switch is annoying. Even though it is possible to switch off from the menu it still flashes when computer is in standby mode. I am considering painting it black with a marker leaving just a dot to see the status.
The wobbly stand is really wobbly. I fear it can snap soon if vigourously shaken accidently. Not an issue of course if wall or arm mounted.
Otherwise a nice looking monitor with a choice of connections, it is very thin and light with low power consumption. The external power brick is a bonus I guess as can be easily replaced if blown.
Dual monitor setup can be easily achieved with included software.
The manufacturer's warranty is 2 years in case you were wondering. I wish Amazon made it clear in the description as it took me a while to get confirmation from LG before purchase.
Good quality monitor for the price but not good enough for serious photo/video editing in my view.
Would recommend if happy to live with huge flashing red button and wobbly stand.

3.0 out of 5 stars LG IPS 23, 15 Oct 2012
Basically all the reviews are bang on. Its a great piccy. The screen produces a cracking picture and at all angles. So as its main job it excels. My gripe is the vesa mounting if you wish to wall mount this and mount it flush say in a kitchen then why the hell would LG have all the fittings point directly out at the wall. Ok you could get an angled hdmi lead, but the supplied power cable jack sticks out as much as the hdmi! They should have all have connections vertical. That with the wobbly stand has to cost it some stars. But that said the picture is fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing contrast ratio & colours, 31 Oct 2012
TotallydubbedHD "Tech Reviewer" (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought this monitor after a lot of research.
I chose the IPS LED technology over the TN one, due to the better colours and the better viewing angle; although the viewing angle wasn't something that important to me.

At first I was worried about the response time of the panel, as websites had misleading information of it.
Long story short, after a call to LG, I found out the IPS234V, was the latest IPS panel they had, and it boasted an amazing 5ms response time.
This was great, especially considering ASUS's website, and customer service lacks so much, that I couldn't find out if their panels were IPS or not, and more so what their real response time was.

So I went ahead and got the IPS234V.
As soon as I got it in, the first thing I notice was how light it was. Super light.
Secondly, as other reviewers had pointed out on the internet, I found the stand to be a little weak and wobbly. It doesn't really matter if you mount this monitor, as it does have your standard VESA (75x75) mounts, and more so, doesn't matter if you got a sturdy desk, and don't move your monitor around much. Thus the stand is something to bear in mind, but that said, LG is known for having weak stands, even on their 42" TV's.

Anyway, now the image.
The image at first was nice, but not perfect, after several hours of tweaking and playing around I nailed the colour calibration with my PC and Xbox.

I have the LG connected via DVI to my PC, and via HDMI to my Xbox.

The image on this panel is absolutely amazing.
Pin-point clear, lovely colours, amazing real-life image like reproduction.
It put my 2yr old ASUS PW201 (LCD 8ms) to shame, and in its bed.

Overall, the image, the price and the overall reproduction of colours of the panel are simply outstanding.
The only thing that gets me each time, is the input selection.
If I were to switch off my Xbox, whilst having my PC on. The screen will start searching for the Xbox signal - instead of switching to my PC's connection.
Also, each time the screen refreshes, a little pop-up at the top right will come up, saying "DVI" for example. this includes when your PC boots up, with the screen going on/off between the bios screen and the boot-up - which could lead some people crazy, but I ignore it, and don't pay attention to it.

Anyway, great screen, does what it says on the tin, and runs BF3 both on Xbox and PC (60FPS) with no problems. Do bear in mind you WILL get tearing, if you don't have Vsync on, as usually the GPU will be stronger than your monitor.

4.0 out of 5 stars LG IPS234v-PN, 28 Jan 2013
This LG monitor is rated as a budget ips screen which is about right, the stand is a bit weak as many have commented on, the veiwing angles are great,colour is very deep, I turned mine down as well as the contrast and brightness as they were close to melting my eyes.
The monitor is built to a price which is fair enough but does have vga,dvi and hdmi inputs,mine has very slight bleeding on the bottom which was reduced when i turned down the contrast and brightness, not a deal killer as I have seen monitors costing far more with this problem and some are a lot worse and it can vary between units, but the thing that may or may not annoy you is ips glow in the corners or edges depending on where you are looking, this is only visible in a dark room while watching films to be honest.
I have played a few games and have not noticed any ghosting, to sum up you get a good monitor with great veiwing angles and a good image for a tad over £100.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great screen great price!, 23 Jan 2013
The Monitor is very light very large and a welcome upgrade from my (very) old hp 17" Lcd monitor. The screen is very bright at fisrt turn on , but if you turn it down a lot it gets much easier on the eyes. The colour reproduction is fantastic and it is the best of all the screens I've previewed in pc shops. Most monitors tend to have the colours wash out when you stand to the side or move your head even slighty in some cases, but this screen shows fantastic colour at almost 180 degree angles.
The stand is a bit flimsy, but it supports the monitor well and i've shaken it a bit and it never falls over.
For playing games, watching movies or looking at pictures this is a fantastic screen and very good for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars New gaming monitor!, 3 May 2013
Mr. J. Crocker (England) - See all my reviews
After two days of solid research into a new gaming monitor I finally settled on the LG IPS234V and I am so glad I did. The IPS screen represents colors much better than my old smasung TN screen so much so it looks like my graphics card has been updated. It did take me a couple of days getting used to a 23inch screen as opposed to my old 20 inch screen and now I cannot think of ever getting anything smaller. Mainly used as a gaming monitor with its 5ms response time I do not get any input lag or ghosting whatsoever. It nearly lost a star because of the stand as many others had said it wobbles a lot when pressing the buttons and when the desk is knocked, but overall I can live with that. You do have the option to wall mount it if you like.
At the end of the day if your are gamer like I am then your screen really is your computer as this is what you use to view the world you play in and take my word for it, with this monitor you will not be dissapointed. For those that are intrested here are the calibration settings I use.
Brightness 28
Contrast 74
Sharpness 5
Gamma 1
Colour default settings (As it looks awsome out of the box)

Go for it I have done the research for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture, terrible stand., 17 Oct 2012
As has been noted, the picture is great, very colourful and sharp. Much improved over the TN monitors I've had.
However, what bean counter specified the stand?
Honestly, 10p saved and I've had to wedge it against the wall to stop the wobbling.
It doesn't feel like it's going to fall over but annoying all the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Monitor for the price. . . ., 1 Oct 2012
Pros:

Excellent screen uniformity on the monitor I received with no backlight bleed
No dead or stuck pixels on my unit
Extremely thin and light weight
Barely gets warm when in use
Full compliment of inputs with the exception of DP
Doesn't suffer from "IPS Glow" as much as I thought it would
Excellent Colours and viewing angle, beats a Samsung PVA Monitor hands down

The Con and in my opinion there's only one:

The monitor is extremely flimsy and feels cheaply made. The back panel flexes with the slightest touch and the stand is made from plastic only slightly thicker than the stuff used to make ice cream tubs. The result is a very wobbly monitor, wobbles more than my wobbly Samsung P2770HD which is renowned for its wobble lol. Still though, the excellent PQ makes up for its wobbly shortcomings.

5 Stars from me :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good indeed!, 22 Jan 2013
D. Turner (england) - See all my reviews
This is most likely one of the best full HD 23" monitors you can get for around £100, it has an excellent picture and looks great in general (the bezel is fairly slim). The only down side that I could find, as I had no issue with the stand, is that when dark colours are being displayed there is a slight back light bleed near the bottom of the screen. This is rarely, if ever noticeable when the screen is in use, which is why I am still rating this 5*. Can't go wrong really, excellent 23" monitor with good referesh rate/full hd, and all the input options that you could need.

LG IPS234V-PN.AEK PS 23 inch LED Wide Screen Monitor