Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

on 27 July 2010
This book is the third in the Pearl S Buck trilogy, The Good Earth. I had problems getting hold of book number two but it was worth the wait. This book arrived in good time and in perfect condition. I think I will have to read all three books again I have enjoyed them so much. I love her writing style, so descriptive of the characters and the times. I can lose myself in the China of the early 20th century and the social history of that time, I intend to read all her other books as well.
on 20 September 2014
A couple of days ago, I finished reading the novel, A House Divided by Pearl Buck, which was first published in 1935.

I found this literary novel, in which Pearl Buck tells the fictional story of Wang Yuan, son of Tiger, a Chinese war lord. difficult to read due to its style.

In childhood, Yuan feared his father whose sword was never far from his hand. At the age of nineteen Yuan joined the revolutionists, 'who were the enemies of all lords of war such as the Tiger was.' He returns home wearing his uniform. His father is about to kill him " But for the first time in his life the Tiger's son showed the anger he had in him, but which he had never dared to show before his father."

A House Divided reveals the era prior to the Chinese Revolution, as well as Wang Yuan's uncertainties, selective memory and narrow-mindedness.

Although Yuan is arrested for being a revolutionary, he escapes execution after his family bribe the authorities. He is sent to America where he studies agriculture with the hope of one day improving ordinary Chinese people's lives. Seven years later, he returns home.

Pearl Buck tells the reader how Yuan reacts to America and Americans as well as his reactions when he returns to China, where poverty- stricken people's situation, and the upper class's attitude towards them has not changed. Daughter of missionaries Pearl Buck's descriptions of beggars and naked children obviously came from her heart.

A House Divided is not only about the effects of change on Yuan and his family but also about Yuan's divided, uncertain heart.

All in all, I am glad I persevered and read the entire novel because I learned so much about past times.
on 12 February 2013
An excellent novel by Pearl Buck. This follows on from 'the Good Earth', though I think there may be another novel in between. Shows the difficulties of the changes in lifestyle when Chinese people started to become more westernised. The main character moves to America and at first despises the American people, but when he moves back to China he sees his own people as foreigners must see them and feels disgust at many of the things they do. Very well written by an excellent author.
on 3 May 2013
Having loved the Good Earth I was looking forward to reading the other two parts and this, the third book in the trilogy didn't really live up to the other two. Its worth reading to get an overview of chinese history but I didn't find the characters as compelling as in the first two.
on 5 October 2013
i enjoyed it thoroughly all of it, very absorbing, it helped me to be distract from day to day worries ... a very good read. I loved it
and learning at the same time. I always enjoy a read read, also the good earth Thank you
on 19 May 2013
This was the last of the good earth trilogy and showed how far Chinese culture had come in such a short time. I love the way the author writes, you can almost picture yourself there.
on 20 October 2015
An entralling read expressed in a unique style. I considered it a blatent fraud that so very large a part of each book was duplicated in the one which follows.
on 28 August 2015
So different to Western style life it is fascinating to read.
on 9 November 2014
Brilliant book - so well written
on 27 March 2014
I love Pearl Buck's style of writing and I love the series. Excellent value, and a great way of accessing the history of that period.