Top positive review
6 people found this helpful
LONELY PLANET: EAST AFRICA GUIDE
on 24 December 2012
This new 2012 Lonely Planet East Africa guide is out after many years and covers Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi and some parts of Congo. It has 686 pages, colour and B/W maps, colour wildlife photos, with large colour map of East Africa on pages 4/5. Having visited Kenya and Tanzania many times, I found this book helpful because:-
(1) Covers nearly 6 East African countries
(2) Making it good value for money
(3) Easy to use maps both colour and B/w
(4) Has local and street maps
(5) Advises on top 11 places to visit
(6) Advise on do's and don't's on or before taking safaris
(7) Covers areas of interest month by month
(8) Discusses various safaris on offer
(9) Chapter on Gorilla tracking
(10) Advise on travel with children
(11) History of East Africa
(12) Brief look at wildlife
(13) Explains survival guide
(14) Covers lodges, camps, tents, transport, money, eating, sights, shopping, safari guides, fees, tipping, climate,phones, and when to go.
(15) Dangers and annoyances.
(16) Medical problems, insurance, dress code, theft and what to take on holidays
(17) Basics on Swahili language
This book is small enough to carry. You can put markers on pages you wish to see frequently.
The only other map you may wish to carry is Nelles Folded map of Kenya, which also covers northern Tanzania and is excellent.
Having born in Kenya, I found this book very good.