on 24 December 2012
This new 2012 Lonely Planet East Africa guide is out after many years and covers Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi and some parts of Congo. It has 686 pages, colour and B/W maps, colour wildlife photos, with large colour map of East Africa on pages 4/5. Having visited Kenya and Tanzania many times, I found this book helpful because:-
(1) Covers nearly 6 East African countries
(10) Advise on travel with children
(11) History of East Africa
(12) Brief look at wildlife
(13) Explains survival guide
(14) Covers lodges, camps, tents, transport, money, eating, sights, shopping, safari guides, fees, tipping, climate,phones, and when to go.
(15) Dangers and annoyances.
(16) Medical problems, insurance, dress code, theft and what to take on holidays
(17) Basics on Swahili language
This book is small enough to carry. You can put markers on pages you wish to see frequently.
The only other map you may wish to carry is Nelles Folded map of Kenya, which also covers northern Tanzania and is excellent.
Having born in Kenya, I found this book very good.
on 17 April 2013
This is a good general purpose book for the area. We have used it to generally plan our trip, but I know from past experience of these types of books that when we get there, it will be short on detail. At least it has been updated fairly recently, which is important
on 3 February 2013
Don't waste money on this book, it it far to general. After an initial flick through I ceased to bother with this book at all. Buy the specific guide books for the specific countries. I traveled all around East Africa (2012) but I don't think this book was really of any use. In fact, while my guide books for Uganda and Tanzania are like old friends, I'd forgotten I even had this book until I just saw it in my list of Amazon purchases!
on 24 February 2013
Great update on previous edition of the East Africa lonely planet book. Lots of useful information on hotels and restaurants. Great introduction to East Africa and useful if you plan on visiting 2 countries saving you buying 2 guidebooks.
on 9 January 2016