on 15 November 2014
I wanted to transfer video from JVC to a 2014 store bought average spec pc running Windows 8.1

A bit of hassle with connection, s-video connection was female on August VGB100 and JVC but luckily enough I had a male composite cable adaptor thingy (see photo).

Once the device was connected to usb port on the pc windows tried and failed to install the drivers. The mini cd contains Drivers a capture/edit program and manuals. I ran the set-up from the disk and everything worked great.

The software bundled (ArcSoft ShowBiz) is used for capturing and producing/saving VHS from the JVC to the pc in AVI file format then edited with windows movie maker.

The device does what it should with the use of an additional cable.
review image review image review image
on 17 October 2012
Test work in windows xp and win7.
the software works 100% with the August VGB100 USB 2.0
good video capture.
the price is very good.
on 16 February 2015
I bought this to transfer video recordings from my Sky+ Box to my laptop so that I would have them permanently as digital files. I chose this one because of its low price as I was worried that the Sky videos may be encrypted and I did not want to waste a lot of money if this was the case. The supplied software installed perfectly on my Windows 8.1 laptop and so did the USB adaptor itself. It has both composite video and S video leads attached but the Sky box only has composite outputs so I used these. The initial settings could be more clearly described in the instructions but were still straightforward. The only uncertainty was which of the PAL standards to use. I looked these up on the net and found that PAL I was the one to use in the UK. Once set up recording was easy. Just play the video on the Sky box and click the capture button on the software. The only recording format available to me was mpg but the supplied software also contains a convertor so I changed then recorded videos to mp4 later. In fact I found that 'Any Video Convertor', a free download, did the conversions slightly quicker.
In summary this product did exactly as I had hoped for a very low price compared to some of the other similar products out there.
on 5 July 2013
I connect this to my PVR and transfer things over from there to my PC, freeing up the space on my PVR. It works well :) I had a little go of the software which came with the thing, could not get it to work properly, but no matter, I use a free program called VDUB anyway.
There is a slight problem that VDUB does not recognise this straight away, I don't know if that is a problem with this or the software, but once you get the hang of using it, it's great.
If you get this you will also need some RCA cables, and maybe a switchable SCART box, depending on what you are connecting it to.
Overall I am happy with the product, cheap, it works like it should and if you invest in good software for it I am sure it will be excellent. Years ago I paid £150 for a Pinnacle PCTV Deluxe which does about the same thing.
I used this on a Macbook Pro, but was running Windows XP through VMWARE.
on 28 May 2013
Installed drivers and software from web site, didn't have to set anything, works perfectly no problems at all.
Great item for low price.
on 2 July 2013
I think the August VGB100 is a great device and represents fantastic value for money. I was delighted with the ArcSoft ShowBiz software that came with the device on mini CD. The help available on the web for ArcSoft ShowBiz 3.5 the version I have is not good but the help file that comes with the software is all I needed really. It did take me a few hours of study before I could use all the editing capability of the software but I was able to capture the video from a VHS tape played on a VCR very fast. I was lucky to have had a SCART to three phono lead to connect the SCART output on the VCR to the VGB100. I also discovered that to see the ArcSoft GUI properly I had to set my monitor to the highest resolution. Do this by going to Control Panel>System>Settings.
I recommend this great video capture device. I had a little hiccup when my Windows XP became unstable during the first transfer. Windows XP signaled the device was not recognized. There was no problem though with the VGB100 at all and after I switched off the PC a few times that problem resolved itself whatever it was.
on 30 April 2016
Unless I can find the answer as to why it won't work for me, I am unable to use this product. Nothing against the seller or carrier, all was fine. This could be a manufacturers fault or my own for getting something wrong somewhere.

When it arrived I was confused to find a mini disc. Fortunately the instructions tell you not to use the disc and to download the driver and the software from online instead which I did. I assume the disc is useless for me besides the serial key on it's case. I installed the driver and the software fine and proceeded to plug in the three cables into the USB and play through my Sharp VHS/DVD Player. Am I going wrong so far?

I opened up the software and attempted to capture, following the instructions about the inputs etc. However, nothing was coming through. Eventually we came to the conclusion that a S Video cable was also needed as the August VGB100 did not come with one but had a spare cable socket for one. A trip to B&Q later and I had an S Video cable and was trying to get a picture.

The next problem I had was the Video Standard. The VHS/DVD Player apparently uses PAL but the software asked for PAL_B, PAL_G, PAL_H, PAL_I, PAL_M and PAL_N. I tried all of them, alongside the other types in various combinations with the S Video cable or the 3 colour cables. Still nothing coming through except some static on PAL_M and N for the S Video cable or a blue screen for the 3 colour cables. Anyone know where it's all gone wrong?
on 30 March 2014
I needed something to record footage from an old Hi8 camera tape and both my video and dvd recorders have stopped working. Was contemplating buying a new dvd recorder but I'm really glad I didn't - this works perfectly and I now have good quality recordings from 17 years ago taken from the camera and old video tapes. Easy to use, clear instructions - had a bit of a problem getting the video to work with the pc, but the instructions advised using a bidirectional SCART adaptor set to output which, incredibly and for once, I actually already had and which solved the problem instantly. Using this with Windows 8. Haven't tried to produce or edit any footage yet, just grateful to be able to save a copy of the old VCR footage of my kids as babies. Very pleased with this little gadget and the quick delivery!
on 21 October 2013
This item is described as being able to capture RGB, which is a complete LIE - it captures S-Video and COMPOSITE.

In order to capture RGB it would require either 5 RCA inputs (Red, Green, Blue, AudioLeft, AudioRight), A SCART socket, or a 15 pin VGA input.

RGB provides a vastly superior picture to both composite (the yellow RCA input) and S-Video (the black input)

By stating that this product allows RGB capture, the vendors are breaking the law. I would suggest that anyone who has bought this product who have been disappointed with the picture quality return it under the Sale of Goods Act as the product is NOT AS ADVERTISED.
on 13 June 2016
I bought this so that I could digitise the family's VHS home movies and then throw the tapes away. Once I had installed the driver on my system, capturing the videos through the supplied software was easy, even for someone like me.

My main issue was with installing the driver. It would not install at all on either of my Windows 10 computers from the supplied disc, even though the driver was said to be for Windows 10, so I downloaded the driver from the augustint.com website. I opened the file, but when I then tried to open Setup, I got an error message saying 'Windows cannot complete the extraction'. I waited until office hours and phoned the helpline, who answered immediately. My problem was solved by copying the zipped files from the download folder to my desktop and opening them from there. After that, it went smoothly.

The device is supplied with a short phono-type extension lead. The usb plug on the device is too long and quite flimsy and I ended up with my computer uncomfortably close to the TV screen. It was all OK once I inserted a USB extension cable between the device and my laptop.

You can capture straight from the VHS player, without any TV screen, but I don't recommend this, as the picture in the Arcsoft software screen is not really good enough by itself.

Don't forget to set the Video Standard in Arcsoft to PAL_I if you are in the UK.