on 15 November 2014
I wanted to transfer video from JVC to a 2014 store bought average spec pc running Windows 8.1

A bit of hassle with connection, s-video connection was female on August VGB100 and JVC but luckily enough I had a male composite cable adaptor thingy (see photo).

Once the device was connected to usb port on the pc windows tried and failed to install the drivers. The mini cd contains Drivers a capture/edit program and manuals. I ran the set-up from the disk and everything worked great.

The software bundled (ArcSoft ShowBiz) is used for capturing and producing/saving VHS from the JVC to the pc in AVI file format then edited with windows movie maker.

The device does what it should with the use of an additional cable.
review image review image review image
on 17 October 2012
Test work in windows xp and win7.
the software works 100% with the August VGB100 USB 2.0
good video capture.
the price is very good.
11 comment11 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 July 2013
I connect this to my PVR and transfer things over from there to my PC, freeing up the space on my PVR. It works well :) I had a little go of the software which came with the thing, could not get it to work properly, but no matter, I use a free program called VDUB anyway.
There is a slight problem that VDUB does not recognise this straight away, I don't know if that is a problem with this or the software, but once you get the hang of using it, it's great.
If you get this you will also need some RCA cables, and maybe a switchable SCART box, depending on what you are connecting it to.
Overall I am happy with the product, cheap, it works like it should and if you invest in good software for it I am sure it will be excellent. Years ago I paid £150 for a Pinnacle PCTV Deluxe which does about the same thing.
I used this on a Macbook Pro, but was running Windows XP through VMWARE.
on 2 July 2013
I think the August VGB100 is a great device and represents fantastic value for money. I was delighted with the ArcSoft ShowBiz software that came with the device on mini CD. The help available on the web for ArcSoft ShowBiz 3.5 the version I have is not good but the help file that comes with the software is all I needed really. It did take me a few hours of study before I could use all the editing capability of the software but I was able to capture the video from a VHS tape played on a VCR very fast. I was lucky to have had a SCART to three phono lead to connect the SCART output on the VCR to the VGB100. I also discovered that to see the ArcSoft GUI properly I had to set my monitor to the highest resolution. Do this by going to Control Panel>System>Settings.
I recommend this great video capture device. I had a little hiccup when my Windows XP became unstable during the first transfer. Windows XP signaled the device was not recognized. There was no problem though with the VGB100 at all and after I switched off the PC a few times that problem resolved itself whatever it was.
on 16 February 2015
I bought this to transfer video recordings from my Sky+ Box to my laptop so that I would have them permanently as digital files. I chose this one because of its low price as I was worried that the Sky videos may be encrypted and I did not want to waste a lot of money if this was the case. The supplied software installed perfectly on my Windows 8.1 laptop and so did the USB adaptor itself. It has both composite video and S video leads attached but the Sky box only has composite outputs so I used these. The initial settings could be more clearly described in the instructions but were still straightforward. The only uncertainty was which of the PAL standards to use. I looked these up on the net and found that PAL I was the one to use in the UK. Once set up recording was easy. Just play the video on the Sky box and click the capture button on the software. The only recording format available to me was mpg but the supplied software also contains a convertor so I changed then recorded videos to mp4 later. In fact I found that 'Any Video Convertor', a free download, did the conversions slightly quicker.
In summary this product did exactly as I had hoped for a very low price compared to some of the other similar products out there.
on 28 May 2013
Installed drivers and software from web site, didn't have to set anything, works perfectly no problems at all.
Great item for low price.
on 2 October 2012
I bought this capture device to digitise some old video-8 camcorder tapes. The drivers and software installed without any issues on Windows 7 64-bit. The ShowBiz software is a bit basic but it will probably be OK for most people. I decided to use VirtualDub instead which is a lot more complicated but allows you to add deinterlacing filters to remove the "comb effect" caused by interlacing, and capture raw uncompressed video for offline encoding. For this it did an excellent job and the video quality is as good as you can expect from old tapes. I'm sure it would work just as well for VCR tapes too.
0Comment30 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 December 2013
Its a lovely wonderful product more than perfect - very friendly user as I could use it very easily without any trouble or trials - I never expected I will love it ro this extent - the only thing I am still not aware how to do it is how to save in different formats the default is to save *.mpeg it is supposed to save in many other formats but till now I couldn't know how to select a different format but still the mpeg is perfect - also I had an old video camera which isn't digital as being old and due to not being digital I haven't been able to use it since 2009 I discovered that it is compaitable with this usb and I could easily record from it to the pc - more than a wonderful perfect product - it gave me the chance to easily record on pc from the tv or the video camera or the reciever - fab idea - thank u so much
on 15 May 2014
After struggling, unsuccessfully, to copy using an easycap USB device I thought I'd give the August version a try. I'm glad that I did.
I installed it on a Windows 8 machine and the booklet provided gave clear & simple instructions. Following installation I inserted a VHS cassette into my old player & the picture & sound appeared in the capture window straight away. The quality is as about as good as you'd expect when copying from old analogue to digital, but great for preserving those memories & saving space in the house.
I was able to save the resulting files to any location I liked (not just C:). Note, the requirements list that a sound card is required: It works perfectly fine as long as your PC / motherboard has an inbuilt sound card that meets the spec. All in all a great buy at the price.
on 30 March 2014
I needed something to record footage from an old Hi8 camera tape and both my video and dvd recorders have stopped working. Was contemplating buying a new dvd recorder but I'm really glad I didn't - this works perfectly and I now have good quality recordings from 17 years ago taken from the camera and old video tapes. Easy to use, clear instructions - had a bit of a problem getting the video to work with the pc, but the instructions advised using a bidirectional SCART adaptor set to output which, incredibly and for once, I actually already had and which solved the problem instantly. Using this with Windows 8. Haven't tried to produce or edit any footage yet, just grateful to be able to save a copy of the old VCR footage of my kids as babies. Very pleased with this little gadget and the quick delivery!