5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect
Published 3 months ago by John Dickens

3.0 out of 5 stars video from JVC to pc
I wanted to transfer video from JVC to a 2014 store bought average spec pc running Windows 8.1

A bit of hassle with connection, s-video connection was female on August VGB100 and JVC but luckily enough I had a male composite cable adaptor thingy (see photo).

Published 6 months ago by alex mcguffie

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 16 Feb. 2015
John Dickens (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: August VGB100 - External USB Video Capture Card - S Video / Composite to USB Transfer Cable - Grabber Lead For Windows 8 / 7 / Vista / XP (Personal Computers)
I bought this to transfer video recordings from my Sky+ Box to my laptop so that I would have them permanently as digital files. I chose this one because of its low price as I was worried that the Sky videos may be encrypted and I did not want to waste a lot of money if this was the case. The supplied software installed perfectly on my Windows 8.1 laptop and so did the USB adaptor itself. It has both composite video and S video leads attached but the Sky box only has composite outputs so I used these. The initial settings could be more clearly described in the instructions but were still straightforward. The only uncertainty was which of the PAL standards to use. I looked these up on the net and found that PAL I was the one to use in the UK. Once set up recording was easy. Just play the video on the Sky box and click the capture button on the software. The only recording format available to me was mpg but the supplied software also contains a convertor so I changed then recorded videos to mp4 later. In fact I found that 'Any Video Convertor', a free download, did the conversions slightly quicker.
In summary this product did exactly as I had hoped for a very low price compared to some of the other similar products out there.

3.0 out of 5 stars video from JVC to pc, 15 Nov. 2014

Once the device was connected to usb port on the pc windows tried and failed to install the drivers. The mini cd contains Drivers a capture/edit program and manuals. I ran the set-up from the disk and everything worked great.

The software bundled (ArcSoft ShowBiz) is used for capturing and producing/saving VHS from the JVC to the pc in AVI file format then edited with windows movie maker.

The device does what it should with the use of an additional cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Work on my win xp and win7, 17 Oct. 2012
Test work in windows xp and win7.
the software works 100% with the August VGB100 USB 2.0
good video capture.
the price is very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for digitising camcorder videos, 2 Oct. 2012
I bought this capture device to digitise some old video-8 camcorder tapes. The drivers and software installed without any issues on Windows 7 64-bit. The ShowBiz software is a bit basic but it will probably be OK for most people. I decided to use VirtualDub instead which is a lot more complicated but allows you to add deinterlacing filters to remove the "comb effect" caused by interlacing, and capture raw uncompressed video for offline encoding. For this it did an excellent job and the video quality is as good as you can expect from old tapes. I'm sure it would work just as well for VCR tapes too.

5.0 out of 5 stars August VGB100 USB 2.0 Video Capture Card, 28 May 2013
Installed drivers and software from web site, didn't have to set anything, works perfectly no problems at all.
Great item for low price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well Giving Me Space On My Generic PVR ;), 5 July 2013
I connect this to my PVR and transfer things over from there to my PC, freeing up the space on my PVR. It works well :) I had a little go of the software which came with the thing, could not get it to work properly, but no matter, I use a free program called VDUB anyway.
There is a slight problem that VDUB does not recognise this straight away, I don't know if that is a problem with this or the software, but once you get the hang of using it, it's great.
If you get this you will also need some RCA cables, and maybe a switchable SCART box, depending on what you are connecting it to.
Overall I am happy with the product, cheap, it works like it should and if you invest in good software for it I am sure it will be excellent. Years ago I paid £150 for a Pinnacle PCTV Deluxe which does about the same thing.
I used this on a Macbook Pro, but was running Windows XP through VMWARE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device, great value., 2 July 2013
I think the August VGB100 is a great device and represents fantastic value for money. I was delighted with the ArcSoft ShowBiz software that came with the device on mini CD. The help available on the web for ArcSoft ShowBiz 3.5 the version I have is not good but the help file that comes with the software is all I needed really. It did take me a few hours of study before I could use all the editing capability of the software but I was able to capture the video from a VHS tape played on a VCR very fast. I was lucky to have had a SCART to three phono lead to connect the SCART output on the VCR to the VGB100. I also discovered that to see the ArcSoft GUI properly I had to set my monitor to the highest resolution. Do this by going to Control Panel>System>Settings.
I recommend this great video capture device. I had a little hiccup when my Windows XP became unstable during the first transfer. Windows XP signaled the device was not recognized. There was no problem though with the VGB100 at all and after I switched off the PC a few times that problem resolved itself whatever it was.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine for skype, 24 Sept. 2013
I wanted something that would take the video output from a simple camcorder and allow it to be fed into skype. Wasn't sure when I bought it that it would work but thought I'd give it a go. Couldn't get the supplied software to work on my windows 7 laptop - as other reviewers have noted it just said that the video was in use by another device (which it wasn't - as I went into process explorer and killed everything off and I still got the message). At first I couldn't get it to work with skype either - there was no way to select the device - all that skype recognised was the built in webcam. However, I found a hint on the web which said to try an earlier version of skype. I downgraded my version of skype to 5.10 and then the option to use either the inbuilt webcam or the video feed from this device became available and from then on all was plain sailing. Loses a star for the non-functioning software on Windows 7.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked well, 20 Aug. 2012
After i downloaded Serif free movie software and the correct driver software, (Do not use the drivers that come with the device, they won`t work.) I did a search online and used trial and error before i found the correct one that worked for me. Once i got the correct drivers, the device worked exceptionally well. I am converting old VHS onto usb flash cards for the inlaws and this is ideal, but be patient, it does take some time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked first time, 17 Jan. 2013
The item was shipped quickly, and worked first time on a netbook with Windows XP. So not as resource demanding as I expected. The included software was on a CD, but is also downloadable from Augusts's website, just enter the serial number on your disc sleeve to activate.

When copying the VHS to computer, each take would take about 6gb ~2 hours I think? And a few file types are offered from AVI to MPEG-2 which can affect the size I believe. It's extremely simple to do though. From opening the software to starting to record takes perhaps 3 clicks when properly configured. However due to the way recording works, the USB device has to detect a video signal before you can click the record button, meaning a few seconds from the start of every video tape will sadly be lost.

The downside, is the number of hours it will take to convert all these VHS tapes to Digital!