5.0 out of 5 stars Why did I wait so long?
I manage all my home paperwork by scanning and binning. I've used a flatbed scanner for years. I found this product by accident, I had no idea at that point that this type of scanner existed at a price that was acceptable (to me, anyway) for my home use.

Published 20 months ago by Hazel

1.0 out of 5 stars Description wrong
According to the description "Do you need to scan A3 documents? When using the included carrier sheet, it is possible to scan A3 size documents with an A4 scanner. No post-scanning reworking required."

Well there is no carrier sheet included and therefore it is not possible to scan A3 size documents.
Published 13 months ago by Glenn

5.0 out of 5 stars Why did I wait so long?, 7 Mar 2013
This review is from: Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i for PC/MAC (Accessory)

I did a lot of research, and I dithered. Would it really do what I wanted? Should I buy another multi function printer that had an auto document feeder instead? I couldn't find an all-inone machine that met all my needs without needing a huge amount of space. In the end, I decided that I'd take the plunge with the 1300i - and if it didn't work out, I'd ebay it and get most of my money back.

It arrived the next day. I read that one had to do the software installation before plugging it in (and the USB port on the back is taped up with this message as well). I loaded the software. I plugged it in. I did a test scan.

Oh. My. God.

Both sides at once, and so fast! I was hooked from my first scan. It's so easy and fast that I no longer stick papers in a "to scan" pile, I just get on and scan them immediately. It turns itself on when I open it up, and it turns itself off when I close it.

What a fab piece of kit. It's very compact, and it sits on top of my all-in-one printer. I don't need to lift the lid anymore, as I won't have much call for using the flatbed again.

I initially tought I'd be able to scan a pile of papers and then sort the scan into separate documents. I can't do that directly (although I guess that might have been possible if I'd gone for the deluxe version which included the filing software) but it's no hardship.

This machine has saved hours - days maybe - of my future life. I wish I'd known about it earlier, and I wish I hadn't dithered so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Duplex scanner ideal for digital storage of domestic paperwork, 3 Mar 2013
M. G. Pigott (Lancashire, England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i for PC/MAC (Accessory)
This compact scanner has performed well for me as a duplex domestic scanner. It's small enough to hide away when not in use and comes out whilst I'm going through my mail. I've set it up to scan to searchable PDF using the included OCR software, working even with the small print often put on the back of official documents when set to 600 dpi. I use the external power supply rather than the included additional USB power. This keeps the scanning speed up and the time to process the scans is acceptable on my Mac Mini but is dependent upon the speed of the attached computer. The included software is closely coupled to the scanner which won't work until the software is running. Non-standard lengths of paper (e.g. pamphlets) can be scanned by holding the scan button down until it starts to flash and then releasing starts the scan. The software intelligently spots portrait and landscape as well as upside down, so it will manage putting the paper in at different orientations.

It copes well with different paper thickness, from thin receipts to thick statement paper, but with the latter I find I have to sometimes prevent more than one sheet being pulled through together, but that's more because the pages are folded tightly together and grip each other. Separating them before restacking them and placing them in the feeder, together with some gentle persuasion usually solves the problem.

Excellent device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant scanner, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i for PC/MAC (Accessory)
I use it for scanning loads of documents into folders, email and Evernote. It is fast and accurate and the bundled software works great on my Apple Macs. I can easily scan large multi-page documents (100 pages +) and as I've set the software to automatically OCR (convert into searchable PDF) it is invaluable as part of my document management strategy to convert all my paperwork to digital files, which then allows me to search for documents by content as well as document title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fujitsu ScanSnapSI300i, 24 Oct 2012
This review is from: Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i for PC/MAC (Accessory)
This is a fantastic piece of kit and one I wish had been on the market years ago. Due to my lifestyle I have a small office at home which became bogged down with folders of minutes, etc of organisastions that I belong to. In a matter of two weeks I have scanned every sheet of paper and filed them onto my PC, then disposed of the paper via the recycling box!
Then I began scanning the hundreds of business cards which I have. So simple and effective, the scanned card appears on my PC screen with the relevant details filed into a form ready for searching when required.
When not in use the paper scanner sits on the desk, out of the way and hardly taking up any valuable space. The instructions say that it will scan up to ten double sided sheets of paper. I regularly scan reports of at least twenty sheet with no problems, as long as I remember to remove the staples! One double sided sheet of A4 takes just a few seconds to scan and that is the the paper scanner set at "best" setting.
I have yet to use the other facilities on the paper scanner, but I have no doubt that are as good as those I am currently using to get rid of all those files in my office. What a joy to see loads of space on the shelves that I can make better use of than loads of ring binders cluttering them up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good build quality - easy to use, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i for PC/MAC (Accessory)
Bought this scanner to scan ever growing paperwork at home. Being familiar with flatbed scanners in the past I was a bit skeptical on how good this one would be. After using it for a couple of months (300+ pages) I can say I am extremely happy with it.

Setup was relatively straight forward and it is important to remember (or read the paperwork) that the scanner is to be connected after the software setup.

My first scan we a mixture of surprise and frustration. Surprised because the scan was incredibly fast, frustrated because quality was "unusable". Only when I increased quality setting to "best" I managed to obtain good quality scans and the speed was still acceptable (naturally not as fast as before).

If you are like me and don't have much space next to your PC this scanner is ideal. It easily folds and fits into a drawer at the end of the scanning session.

Once again good build quality and it looks like it will serve me years to come.

One downside (not a big issue to take off a star) is that there is a single roller, in the middle, so if you scan something narrow like a receipt or a business card this sometimes causes the item to goes in with an angle. However, the software corrects most mistakes immediately. To give an example, if you scan something upside down (or sideways) it automatically gets corrected (as long as something written on it for the software to find orientation).

Software is in general better than most scanning software I've seen so far.

It is possible to power the scanner from a second USB port instead of mains. Useful on some situations however this makes scans slower.

Pros:

- Good build quality
- Fast scanning speed even at high quality
- Two sided scanning (software removes back page if it is empty)
- You just scan, no need to worry about orientation, extra pages etc
- Good scanning and archiving software
- File structure maintained even when the software is not available - no proprietary archiving

Cons:
- Single roller in the middle makes some scans slightly challenging
- In case of multiple pages scanner sometimes takes more than one page at a time

I recommend this product highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Price Warning, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i for PC/MAC (Accessory)
Beware VAT registered businesses: current cheapest offer 27 Apr 2014 appears to be sold by ScanHouse-UK.. BUT this business is not VAT registered, which means Amazon's price (exc VAT) is once again the cheapest available. Suggest you buy from Amazon if you can reclaim VAT.

As for scanner. This surpassed my expectations as i was put off by the naff looking software for Mac. But actually the software works very well indeed (including OCR) and looks surprisingly ok! You can also setup custom profiles (colour, quality, etc) to improve workflow further. The scanner is heavier than it looks (a good thing) and has non-slip feet and a full (A4) height paper input holder. It's quick, and the duplex abilities are a real bonus. I also had reservations about colour accuracy being a sheet-fed (paper moving pass the camera) device, but this too was impressive - much better than my old Canon LIDE series flatbed scanner. In this case, it's definitely true that you get what you pay for. I also purchased the matching case that goes with it, which is definitely recommended. I'm glad i did as the scanner was also much more portable than i expected, so will probably take with me if even the slightest possibility of use is there. Finally, i think this model is some 2 years old now, but don't be put off by this - go for it, you won't regret it.

Luke

4.0 out of 5 stars Take my money already!, 12 Sep 2014
This review is from: Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i for PC/MAC (Accessory)
I love this scanner. It’s compact, works perfectly with my MacBook Pro and scans simplex or duplex directly to Evernote, Google Drive (as well as locally to my hard drive). Setting it up was almost a doddle, save for the fact that most laptops these days aren’t supplied with a DVD drive anymore, so I had to download the ScanSnap software from Fujitsu’s website and use the in-built automatic update feature.

If I had any complaints about this, it would be that the ScanSnap doesn’t work so well with thin paper used for bank statements. It tends to feed too many sheets at a time causing it to jam. However, the software has an in-built recovery system to pause the scanning process, remove the paper jam and continue scanning.

However, on the whole, this scanner has solved a major headache by enabling me to get rid of stray paper, documents, receipts, bills (well it doesn’t pay them sadly!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Scanner, 7 Nov 2013
For -
- Fast Scanning (7-8 pages per minute achievable without much effort @ 300dpi)
- Did I mention its fast?
- Accurate OCR (very, very accurate! to the point it will actually make hyperlinks active)
- High Quality (300dpi scans with OCR/ rotation correction are brilliant quality)
- Ability to rename files as you save them
- Price (£209) although its only £140 on Amazon USA....
- Portable (though this isn't really a requirement for me) - the device is about 35cm x 8cm x 5 cm

Against -
- No tray to catch paper that has printed
- Switching 'scan profiles' is not an obvious task
- You cannot scan a new document until you have renamed the previous scan (you can nock renaming off though)
- It does add 'blank' pages sometimes when it scans low quality paper and picks up the text on the other side

5.0 out of 5 stars Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i for PC/MAC (Accessory)
I bought this for business, to scan in invoices and correspondence, aiming towards a paperless office. I have the model S1300 for home use, but the 1300i scans faster and holds more sheets of paper at one time, so is a definite improvement. It is a first class product, which does the job of scanning quickly and efficiently. I have only used flat bed scanners in the past, which by comparison are so much slower and only scan one side of one sheet at a time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great compact scanner - a few shortcomings for Mac users, 4 Mar 2014
Nigel (Havant, Hampshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i for PC/MAC (Accessory)
I bought this for document archiving at home. The scanner installed on Mac and PC very easily. The Mac software is however, far more limited than PC which is disappointing; for instance the scan organiser is Windows only and the is no Mac equivalent; the other thing is that this is not a TWAIN scanner, so it will not work with other third party organisers. Also due to no TWAIN driver being available OSX does not recognise this device as a scanner in the Print/Scan manager (although comments on this site suggest it does - I am yet to discover how!).

The software aside, the scans are good quality and can be saved directly to PDF, Searchable PDF and JPG. As the scanner scans both sides of the document at one time, it is quick and the scan straightening functionality works very well.

The drawbacks are that there is no paper collection tray so you need to have sufficient desk area to catch the scanned sheets. The upside is that this folds down to a very compact size when not in use and can be powered from a USB port (you need two - one for power one for data) if you wanted to take it to another location. In the blurb is says that you can scan to tablets and phones; this is true, but this is not a WiFi connectable scanner and you have to go via USB to a MAC/PC to do this. You can scan directly to Evernote (as a note or a doc) and to Google Docs via the MAC/PC desktop manager app.

I have given 4 stars as, on a Mac, the software is bit clunky and could do with improvement, but all in all this is a great value product.

Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i for PC/MAC