5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!
Published 24 months ago by Greg4006

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sound but cracking Bluetooth connection
Unfortunately Bluetooth connection is cracking no matter what input device I use. Its ok for audio books, but music is just not impossibly crackly. I keep using it with the provided cable and the sound is very good. Battery life is about 10h, which is more than I need.
Published on 24 Jun. 2013 by Smithsonian

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 15 July 2013
Greg4006 (south east london) - See all my reviews
This speaker is banging! I'm fussy with sound, this is really good. I haven't done a lot of listening to these portable speakers to be honest because I research most of my products online like most people. But this went down to £20 for a few days and I'm well impressed! Everybody who has heard it is impressed, for it's size it is really loud, and the bass is pretty good. It's got 3 speakers in total, 2 on the sides and one underneath for bass. It comes with a good quality flat cable. When you plug the cable in it instantly turns the speaker on, Which I like. To use Bluetooth you hold the top button down for like 10 seconds till it beeps and the light flashes then you can connect your phone/ device to it...

I use this almost everyday and I have it on 1 down from full volume and the battery lasts bloody ages! Seriously it lasts such a long time! I highly recommend this speaker to anybody, sounds great, battery life is brilliant and it looks nice too!

5.0 out of 5 stars small but loud, 10 May 2013
now beacon is a good brand im new to but was very impressed with how good it is the price that it is at now 21 pounds is massive bargin and easy to hook up to my tablet and phone and comes with a cable to plug in a 3.5m jack so even if you dont have bluetooth still can use this.
the battery life is very good to

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly loud and clear., 8 Sept. 2013
mackemafc (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beacon Phoenix Bluetooth Portable Speaker - Black (Electronics)
I got this to provide an easy way of getting music in the garden and around the house.
The battery life is good, the unit is very loud for its size and whereas audiophiles would not be impressed with the sound quality it's more than good enough for my needs.
It's very easy to pair it with different devices and the controls on the top are easy to use.
If I had one moan it would be that if you stick your phone in your pocket and then walk around your body can block the Bluetooth signal. This may be down to my phone and not the Phoenix but is a quite annoying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab speaker, 19 Sept. 2013
4 stars for this amazing little box that makes the most noise! Good quality sound as well, nice range and good base. Once charged it can last me week and i find myself asking "is this battery still going?" fab would recommend it. I use it for my laptop and phone. it does not have the facility to handle calls as it has no microphone but thats not why i brought it so that kool. Good bluetooth range as well and its in my favourite colour. I looked for a speaker for ages and this was worth the search. V happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small and Mighty, 8 July 2014
Very impressive sound quality for its size! Initially I was disappointed but this was because I was streaming a radio app that clearly is lacking in quality itself. Once I played my own music from my phone things got much better and the cable supplied is a nice touch. I'm not saying you could host a house party solely using this speaker, but for what it is it's very good and would easily perform for a smaller gathering or simply playing out music to yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Close, but no cigar......., 20 Jun. 2014
The wee box does what it says the sound quality is good for the size just don't expect sony performance. The Bluetooth is good the connection sequence is quick however the distance between the device and speaker has to be relatively close or you drop out of signal range. If it was better in Bluetooth range it would have been a 5 star.

T

4.0 out of 5 stars Attention to detail spoilt by insufficient dynamic range, 26 Oct. 2012
Mr. P. HAIGH (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Phoenix portable bluetooth wireless speaker from Beacon Audio is supplied in a sturdy cardboard box that is reminiscent of Apple's packaging, albeit with a large clear panel to allow you to see the colour of the unit you are buying (its available in red, blue and black). Open the box, remove the speaker and now pull the black ribbon you'll see inside the box to reveal the user manual and cables - a Mini USB cable for charging, and a 3.5mm stereo cable which allows you to use the Beacon with devices that don't have bluetooth.

The speaker unit itself is a stylized cube just under 8cm to the side weighing in at just over 200g. With the logo to the front you get speaker grilles on the left and right sides, the Mini USB charging socket and 3.5mm audio in socket on the rear, and controls on top. Around the controls is a clear plastic bezel which lights up in different ways to indicate the device status.

Plug the speaker into any USB port that can provide 400mA and it charges in about two hours. While it is charging the bezel lights up solid red; this goes out when charging is complete (you can use it while it is charging but it will take longer to recharge). Beacon quote 6-8 hours usage on their web site and again this will depend on how loud you set the volume and how good the bluetooth signal is, but I've yet to see anything that would suggest that these figures are wrong.

Pairing: This is nice and simple and similar to many other Bluetooth devices. Starting with the speakers turned off, hold down the power button until the bezel flashes blue (about 10 seconds), then use your phone, computer or tablet bluetooth menu, select "BEACON-Phoenix" and enter 0000 for the PIN if you need to. You're up and running. I tried pairing with a Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.1.2), Nexus 7 (Android 4.1.2), iPad 2 (iOS 6) and MacBook Pro (Snow Leopard). All worked flawlessly except the Galaxy Nexus which couldn't find the Phoenix at all so I borrowed a Samsung Galaxy S3 running Android 4.0.4 and that worked fine. I've contacted Phoenix about this issue and will update the review when I hear back.

Beacon say that you can pair with "multiple devices" but don't specify how many devices it will store. Most Bluetooth speakers store at least four profiles, forgetting the least recently used when a new device is paired, so that should be fine here.

Range: Beacon quote ten metres so I tested this by playing some music, leaving the S3 at the front of my flat and then taking the speakers into other rooms. While I was moving around the connection broke up a little but once I'd stopped moving the connection was rock solid, even through a couple of walls. Bear in mind that the quality of the bluetooth aerial on your phone or other device will be a limiting factor here.

Controls: Turning on once paired is simply a matter of holding the power button down until you hear a beep, then the bezel starts flashing blue. Once connected to a paired device the bezel changes to a steady blue. To turn off just hold down the power button until you hear a beep; the bezel flashes red and the speaker is now turned off. If you leave it on for more than five minutes without a connection, it turns itself off automatically. Nice touch. Once on you have five controls. The power button doubles as play/pause if pressed briefly while on the left and right of the control panel are two other buttons. The left button acts as 'previous track' if pressed briefly and as 'volume down' if held down while the right button is 'next track' or 'volume up'. The buttons require a firm push until they click audibly and there is a delay of around a second for your device to respond to the click.

Sound Quality: The Phoneix packs 2x2w of power and although it is nice and loud the dynamic range sounds limited with a lack of depth at the bottom end and some distortion at the top end - a bit like listening to a medium wave radio (albeit a good one). Tellingly, none of the packaging or documentation, or Beacon Audio's own web site, specifies the output audio frequency range. How much of this is down to the compact size and how much is down to the electronics is unclear but you should be aware of this. Using the supplied cable to connect instead of Bluetooth saw no improvement (so it isn't dependent on the source), but did reveal another nice feature. Plugging in a cable turns the speaker on, and unplugging it turns it off again. Another nice design touch.

All in all this is a nice device as long as you can put up with the insufficient dynamic range. Unfortunately at £89 it appears to be more expensive than most of the opposition.

Update: Beacon Audio are looking in to my problems pairing with the Galaxy Nexus. They also told me what the frequency range of the speaker is - 20Hz to 20kHz. I've asked if they have a frequency response graph, or an explanation as to why the speaker sounds like it does, given the frequency range they have quoted. No response so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very versatile and great quality but quite expensive, 20 Oct. 2012
RJP the Book Boy "Book boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Beacon portable Bluetooth speaker

What is it ?
This is a small portable speaker that will connect to any mobile device via Bluetooth or via a supplied mini jack to mini jack lead.
Construction

The unit is well made and looks very modern. It has a built in lithium Ion battery that recharges via a supplied USB cable. The sockets are of excellent quality. The whole unit feels sturdy and well made and measures 8cm high, 8cm wide and 8 cm long approx. The top of the unit has volume up and down controls and on/off and stop. The top surround has an LED to indicate on, charged and pairing.

In use

Pairing it to a Bluetooth device was easy. I managed to get it to find and pair with my iPod in a few seconds. The unit remembers the pairing so you don't need to pair each time. I also got it to pair easily with my Nokia phone. Full instructions are supplied but it's very easy to use and set up. It ran for just over 5 hours on a single charge at about 75% volume. It will also charge and power via a laptops USB connection. It took about 40 minutes to charge from flat.

Sound quality

For the size of the unit it's quite amazing. The sound is clear, focused and quite loud. It is way better than my laptop speakers. It is ideal if you want music while working or just chilling. Don't expect to fill the room with bass as with a unit of this size that would be impossible but it's far better than my laptop speakers and amazing compared to the built in speaker in my nokia phone.

Overall

An easy to use and good quality portable speaker that sounds great. It will always be in my briefcase while travelling now. It is expensive but for the quality of construction and sound it is worth it in my opinion as I will give it a lot of use.

Note
I tried it today with my daughters iPhone and there was conciderable distortion when using Bluetooth or the cable. However, with every other device I have tried it is fine. If you have an iPhone check Beacons site for information before buying as I am sure there is a compatibility issue to be sorted out (however, it is fine with my iPod)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device but can buy a lot cheaper, 8 Dec. 2012
This speaker is perfect if you dont like the sound from your tablets and smartphones and really easy to set up! for £80 you would maybe expect slightly better sound but if you Google "clas ohlson bluetooth speaker" the same unbranded speaker is on for £24.99 which makes it a must have at that price!

5.0 out of 5 stars small and powerful, 20 Aug. 2013
Excellent product, good sound from small speaker, battery life is excellent, connected to several devices (iPhone, HTC One, iPad, computer) with no difficulty. Bluetooth controls on speaker allow control of connected device via bluetooth. Have also used AUX line in.

No complaints.