5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 3 May 2013
This review will probably contain spoilers for book 1 but only as much as what is in the blurb. Please don't read this book without reading the first one The Shadow Reader as you really need to know the background of the characters and story to get the full enjoyment from The Shattered Dark.

I haven't enjoyed a book so much in a long time, as much as I enjoyed The Shattered Dark, which is the second instalment in the Shadow Reader series. It has been a long time between books and because of the amount of books I read I wasn't sure how much detail of the first book I would remember but Ms Williams does a great job of re-capping events that previously occurred.

The Shattered Dark takes place over a few days and involves missing friends, war, deception and fae politics. There is a lot going on and a lot to remember so pay attention when reading. I love McKenzie I think she is a wonderful character. She learns a lot about her fae boyfriend, Aren's past in this book which will give you some surprises. Oh boy do I love Aren. There was a bit of a love triangle going on with McKenzie, Aren and Kyol in book 1 but I had no indecisiveness of which man I was rooting for. I also love Ms Williams world building which is very vivid and creative.

I will warn you now there is a massive cliffhanger and I cannot wait to see what is in store for these wonderful characters in book 3. If you like action packed urban fantasy with hint of romance please read this series. I think it is a fantastic series and I'm giving The Shattered Dark 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, 25 Mar 2013
a good second book which goes off in a direction you don't expect. looking forward to what happens next. enjoyed the read

5.0 out of 5 stars "Shadow Reader" series book 2, 14 Jun 2014
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Shattered Dark (A Shadow Reader Novel) (Kindle Edition)
*** warning - contains spoilers if you haven't read book 1 "The Shadow Reader" ***

McKenzie is again facing plenty of danger as she remains embroiled in the political machinations of the Fae. She may now be assisting the rebels by utilising her gifts, yet those she supports hold tenuous positions that other Fae continue to oppose, and their enemies quickly view McKenzie as a target. This time though, McKenzie battles for more than her own life when she learns the remnants hold her best friend hostage.

McKenzie's relationships with both Aren and Kyol are explored further, and I've got to say the more I learn about Aren, the more I wish McKenzie ends up with Kyol; although I doubt this will happen. Her relationships with both Fae are affected dramatically by a significant event, one which is impactful to all 3 of them, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

This book is like one massive dose of adrenaline. The action is none stop as McKenzie battles her way through ambushes, direct attacks and unexpected treachery. Any urban fantasy lovers that like a feisty heroine with 2 warrior Fae vying for her affections will thoroughly enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shattered Dark, 30 April 2014
Ronda (Newcastle England) - See all my reviews
Oh My!!!!

I simply can't explain what it is about these books that is so stunning, so captivating but I can tell you that I absolutely love Sandy Williams' way of writing!!

Although I have to say that this book did start off a little slow after finishing off the first book, however, it only took a short time for it to begin to affect me in the same manner as the first...

I adore the characters, each and every one of them, I love that I'm not sure who to trust or what to feel... especially in the romantic department... I'm torn for Naito, I want him to find something that may or may not exist and I want the same for Lena... What do I want for McKenzie? What do I want for Aren or Kyol????? I'm so torn and I love the way I feel!!!

I am still saying what I said in the first review, the last time I read a Fae novel that captivated me in this way was the Fever series... again, I'm not comparing the two, just saying how this series makes me feel....

I fricken love these books!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A spectacular sequel containing such imaginative vision and scope!, 8 Jan 2014
Having read and loved book 1 of the McKenziw Lewis Series {The Shadow Reader}, i was extremely eager to delve into book 2 and plunge back into a wonderful world of Fae and fantasy. Exceeding all expecations and even more exciting than the first installment, this is a series that continues to get better and better as i was truly mesmirized by the unforgettable characters and the enthralling world in which they dwelt!

I am so impressed by such an increadible author, whose original concepts and creativity is awe-inspiring and facinating. Anyone who loves this genre should not hesitate to seek out this spellbinding story, as it is a compelling read that is hard to put down.

Another 5* novel!