5.0 out of 5 stars Insight into why "the child is father of the man".
I bought this because I've just started an introductory course on counselling. This book would benefit anyone willing to learn about emotional intelligence. It's short and compelling enough that most people - even those who are easily bored by books - would finish it.
Published on 7 May 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor editing spoils a good book
There are so many spelling mistakes in this and it makes for irritating reading - leaden instead of leader, tighter instead of fighter. This is an expensive ebook at nearly £9 and I don't expect this sort of quality. Really disappointing as it is a clever book.
Published 7 months ago by Susan F Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars Insight into why "the child is father of the man"., 7 May 2002
By A Customer
Each chapter is devoted to one of Toad's counselling sesssions with Heron. We're told that the method used by Heron is 'transactional analysis'. The mild mannered Toad learns that he has suppressed the anger he felt as a child. He is helped through a process of reflection and change to recognise and discard the Child Ego State and make positive progress in his life. He learns how to face up to the bullying Badger and even to like him.
With a personality similar to Toad's (I didn't think I felt angry towards people) this was a counselling session for me too.

5.0 out of 5 stars counselling for toads, 6 Oct 2004
This book was recommended to read as part of the Counselling Studies course at Clapham College.I found this book so well written, it's the first counselling book that I have found easy to read.I had trouble putting it down. I feel I shall read it again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars A straightforward and very helpful book, 5 Sep 2003
By A Customer
This is a great book for readers who wonder why they always seem to react to stuff in the same way and want to change it for the better.
It introduces, in a simple and easy to understand way, some basic concepts about the different psychological states that exist in our heads and how they affect our daily living and our actions and interactions with others.
It also starts to show you that by recognising why you react the way you do, you can change the way you behave for the better
Easy to read and understand and of great help!

5.0 out of 5 stars Counselling for Toads, 2 July 2002
By A Customer
A very inspiring book. A very user friendly guide to Transactional Analysis therapy. Humerous, while thought provoking and empowering. I wish I had read this book earlier in my journey through the counselling process. Useful for students, counsellors and those entering into the counselling contract.

5.0 out of 5 stars Counselling for Toads - Highly Recommended Read, 22 Feb 2009
C. Matthews (Wales) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book shortly after commencing my first year in Counselling training. The book was recommended to me by a friend. I sat and read this book one quiet afternoon and needless to say, I could not put it down!! The story's character's are taken from the Wind and the Willows. The main character 'Toad' is in a rather depressed state and after encouragement from his friends, Mole, Badger and the like, goes to the Heron for Counselling. The counselling Toad receives is based upon Transactional Analysis, and the process of Toads counselling is very inspirational, and very easy to understand, and if you allow, this psychological tale can take you on a eye opening journey of your own. I've read this book five times now and each time I read it I learn something new!! I highly recommend this book to everyone, particularly Counsellors in training. A book I will treasure. It was life changing for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding Counselling, 9 July 2004
By A Customer
A lovely book. If you have had anything to do with counselling you will identify with the characters and think "oh that's why I'm this way" Beautifully written and a clever way to take the dryness out of the subject and show how good counselling can have a really life changing effect. This book was recommended to me by a counsellor as a step towards understanding the process. A child could read it just as a story if they wished and still enjoy its charm.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and serious, an excellent introduction to counselling, 28 Sep 2000
By A Customer
If you are interested in counselling and have a soft spot for the exuberant, exasperating, funny and irrepressible Toad - the riverbank celebrity in Kenneth Grahame's Wind in the Willows - you will find Robert de Board's book absorbing, amusing and informative. On a belated visit to Toad Hall, Mole finds the formerly splendid gardens overgrown, the once grand entertaining rooms and guest rooms closed up, and his erstwhile hero and friend Toad reduced to the state of embarrassed and unkempt hermit in his own kitchen. What will happen now that Toad's bonhomie has bottomed out? Will the wildwooders finally gain the upper hand? And, worst of all, is the riverbank to lose its most colourful character?
Relating his discovery to Ratty, the riverbank friends decide that there is only one road left for Toad to travel; the path of self-discovery and personal development through counselling. But de Board's book is touching and engaging rather than po-faced or pontificating as it traces this most life-changing of Toad's adventures. In keeping with the best of humorous writing, Counselling for Toads is serious at heart. This is likely to make it especially palatable to those with a healthy streak of scepticism about the value of therapy. de Board gives an excellent introduction to the aims of counselling, the nature of the therapeutic relationship and the nuts and bolts of Transactional Analysis. While it is easy to read, it does not shy away from technical terms where these are necessary.
Discover the roots of Toad's penchant for adventure as he tells Heron, his counsellor, of his childhood and his relationships with family and friends. Toad's encounter with therapy turns out to be an education not only for this deserving hero, but for all those who would be close to him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing, 12 Jan 2006
It's not often I read a book and think it has actually changed my life, but that's exactly what I thought with this one. It gave me completely new insights into the behaviour and feelings of myself and those around me. I read it as part of a counselling course, but since it is so readable I would highly recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 15 Nov 2002
By A Customer
I found this book extremely interesting and easy to read. You really want Toad to come through his pain and start to live life as he wants to rather than as others want him to. A really good insight into different characters and a good way to learn more about Transactional Analysis. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Counselling for Toads. Robert de Board., 8 April 2009
This book is a wonderous journey through the angst of paranoia,depression and childhood disquite.Told through a pastiche of 'Toad of Toad Hall', it helps the reader along without the concerns of over elaborate terminology, and indepth studies. This book can be read a fun story or as a cathartic odyessy towards fullfilment and understanding of why we act and behave as we do. I can't recommend this book more highly, and have put many of its wise words into effect, with surprising results; though perhaps not surprisng as its simplicity of words and semantics make it a book to be cherished by all people with a thirst to continue in a posotive way on this journey called life.