5.0 out of 5 stars Great compact charger at a great price
Published 20 months ago by Penfold

1.0 out of 5 stars Good start but then CRASH
This arrived promptly and worked well immediately. I was able to charge, as other reviewers indicated, AA up to 2900 and also AAA. I was very pleased and looking forward to this accompanying me on a holiday to the Canary Islands. One of the features which had attracted me in the first place was the provision of various plugs to cater for foreign use.

Sadly...
Published 3 months ago by hugh

5.0 out of 5 stars Great compact charger at a great price, 29 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Vapextech Super Smart nimh Battery Charger 8 cell AA or AAA (Electronics)
I had purchaced some Lloytron slow 200mAh wall socket chargers as I'd rather not have chargers all over the floor/worktops but they were taking 24 hrs+ to charge 2900MAh batteries and they were just a bit too big to fit two next to each other in a double switched wall socket. So I bit the bullet and purchased this 8-way charger instead. I am so glad I did, it is only the same size as a large smartphone (obviously 2-3 times higher) but very compact and at up to 2000mah for single cell charging (a couple of hours for a single 2900mAh) down to 500mAh for all 8 (about 6 hours for all 8) and much quicker if only partially depleted/topping up. Single cell charging and easy to understand backlit displays make this wonderful. This has been a lifesaver for my camera flashes and triggers. And whilst I'm sure that 1 hour rapid chargers are very useful, I'm not keen on charging past the golden '1C' rate for which this is ideal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good charger, 2 Feb. 2014
Henry M. Murphy (England) - See all my reviews
I like this little charger and am considering buying another. I like the fact that the led's show the individual batteries charging. The battery chargers I'd been using before just had a red and green light so I never new how much charge they had in and how likely they would be in the charger for. Also, my previous chargers would only allow me to charge 2 or 4 batteries at a time. This one chargers batteries individually so as the batteries show they are charged, I can remove and replace with other batteries. On a photo shoot, I may take up to 6 flash guns requiring 4 x AA batteries each. For the 6 pocket wizards, I'll need 2 batteries each making a total of 36 AA batteries. That is before I include spares. So being able to charge 8 batteries at a time is really useful. Should I purchase a 16 cell charger? No. Why not? If it fails, I'm stuck. If I purchase 2 of these, in the unlikely event 1 fails, I still have the other to charge my batteries.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sophisticated for the price, 14 Sept. 2014
This is fantastic value for money.
Its a well made, good looking little charger.
The display is pretty basic, only giving a rough guide to how far the batteries are along the charging process. But to be honest that's all you really need, and the backlit display is a nice touch.

As far as charging is concerned the manual claims that it can be used to recharge both NiMH and the older NiCd batteries, however it does not have a discharge function so I wouldn't recommend using NiCd in this, because they should de drained before recharging in order to avoid the "memory effect".

The Vapextech is classed as a fast charger so can be aggressive, with a charging current of up to 2000 mA, which is very high. This figure reduces with the amount of batteries you insert, dropping down to 500mA if you are recharging its maximum of eight.

This is quite sophisticated for the price, as well as being able to recharge batteries independently, so you can use both AA and AAA batteries together. It uses Delta V circuitry, (which is not used in all chargers), to detect when the battery is full, as well as a safety timer to help prevent overcharging, which causes overheating and can destroy your batteries. The only feature it lacks is a temperature shut off for the battery which would have been a nice safety bonus.

In use I found it very capable, and have managed to recharge some of my older batteries which my Duracell Smart Charger had rejected, and although the batteries became very warm while charging, the same can be said for most fast chargers and is not a problem.

Overall this is a great charger, only the omission of a temperature sensor stopped me from giving it 5 stars, and although you can buy others cheaper you won't find many better at this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars The small stuff, 21 Mar. 2014
Only had this charger for a few days, but I’m happy with it so far.

Other reviews have talked about the actual charger itself (single cell charging, display etc.) so I will leave those comments aside (good as they are), but there are a couple of minor things that also impressed me.

Firstly it’s got a UK plug. Not one of those fudged euro things with an adapter that sticks out at funny angles but a proper UK plug about the size of a phone charger with a decent length of cable, and the name Vapex printed on it so you can easily find it amongst all the other adapters you have, brilliant.

Secondly it came in one of those plastic sealed packets that normally involve a knife, swearing and A&E. But Vapextech have helpfully put this charger in a packet that has an easy to rip open section on the back. Take note other manufactures, this is how to package your goods.

Well done Vapextech. Five stars for thinking your product through completely.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good start but then CRASH, 16 Mar. 2015

Sadly all then went wrong. On attempting to use it in the Canaries it refused .. tried various sockets in the hotel just in case but the unit said NO. Hopes dashed since all other appliances from the UK worked over there with the appropriate adapter plug. Came home and tried it out. Totally dead. Amazon were v helpful and refunded money without question and provided a return label. Money come through and return reached Amazon.

Because of my first favourable reaction I shall order another to see if that unit was a rogue one. I sincerely hope this was the case.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 2 minutes., 19 Dec. 2014
Went pop with accompanying smoke and smell after two minutes. Not convinced it was charging for the two minutes before that either, just seemed to be a flashing LCD display.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ticks all the boxes and then ticks a few more, 1 Jun. 2015
I have owned a number of chargers, mostly holding 4 batteries. I needed a charger that was reliable and fairly robust. This is the one recommended to me a few times and for some reason I kept glossing over it, until I finally did buy it.
This is an excellent little charger.

A list or the Pluses:
You can charge single batteries,
You can charge batteries of different powers ( ie 2000mah, 2450mah, 800mah) at the same time,
You can charge AA and AAA at the same time,
It gives you individual levels of each battery,
Fast charger,

This is pretty much exactly what I need and with a little extra added in.
I have not really found any cons and perhaps the only minor downside is that the power unit is external, however thats probably a good thing, since if it fails you simply have to replace the power unit and not worry about the main unit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable..., 16 Aug. 2014
Ignore the battery charge levels. They don't give an idea of the charge. They appear to show a full charge after just an hour but if you use batteries at this stage then they drain incredibly quickly (2600 mAh batteries as well). Charges well and the batteries don't pop out as another reviewer mentioned. Easy to pop them in and out. Bright blue display is annoying.

1.0 out of 5 stars It did precisely nothing when commected and switched on; ..., 7 Jan. 2015
It did precisely nothing when commected and switched on; it had to be returned and my money was refunded. Not very impressive.

1.0 out of 5 stars My unit had inaccurate charge status and now it has gone dead., 1 Dec. 2014
I bought this item in Sep this year after seeing glowing reviews. The unit conceptually is great showing charge levels individually. I charged several of my old and new rechargeable batteries. A month later I realised that the lcd doesn't show the correct indication of charge before and after charging. A battery that ran out of charge sometimes shows 2 -3 bars when put to charge. In the same way I took the batteries out after the lcd showed full charge and then when used in my devices, batteries often ran out of juice. Since then I kept the batteries longer even after they started showing fully charged on the LCD.

I am giving it one star because the unit stopped working since last week. It is just dead, No power on LCD. It is just over 3 months and it failed.

I was about to contact Amazon for the charge reliability issue, but now it has stopped working. It could be that this particular unit I have is faulty and looking at other reviews, my initial thought is exactly that. I assume other units are fine.

I will be asking for a replacement under warranty now and look forward to see how Amazon and Vapextech deals with the request.

I will revise rating once Amazon and Vapextech has responded and provided me a replacement that works.