5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality and Value
I bought these because for ages I had been using my Seinnhieser HD 25s for everyday listening and I wanted something a little less expensive and large to carry around with me.

Published on 6 July 2012 by E. Furmston-evans

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible
Awful product. My wife bought me a pair for Christmas, they stopped working within 2 months. Amazon sent a replacement and today they have stopped working in one ear. Amazed that something so over priced could be so unreliable. Just dreadful - avoid at all costs.
Published 3 months ago by Mjd1979

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality and Value, 6 July 2012
E. Furmston-evans "Ed" (Glasgow, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RHA MA450i Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones with Remote and Microphone - Black (Electronics)

Straight out the box the first impressions are excellent, these are some beautiful earphones. The trumpet horn shaped ear-buds are well constructed and attractive, they're securely attached to the cable with some plastic wrap. The right hand ear line has the sleek in-line control which isn't too bulky or too hard to find making it very easy and organic to use. The left and right hand cables join at a little junction which has a sliding dongle on the top, this little widget helps to ensure a comfortable arrangement of the cables. The braided is also a big plus it looks nice, is hard to tangle and adds a real feel of luxury. My only downside here is the mini-jack connector, it's gold plated which is excellent, but the straight moulded casing feels a bit flimsy and like it might be the weak point where the connections could go after some wear, I would have liked to have seen a right angle jack.

One of the reasons I decided to get the RHA MA450i's was the inclusion of 7 different ear-bud fittings. I'm not normally a fan of intra-aural earphones as I cant find ones that i find comfortable, but with the selection of tips RHA supply I would challenge anyone not to find a comfortable set, from Kids with tiny ears to someone with massive ears, you should be happy.

A nice little extra was finding the wee carry bag, this is something I'm used to getting with my much more expensive DJ headphones and it's a really nice feature in something so reasonably priced.

Now let's get on to the important bit for me, sound quality. Now I originally gravitated towards RHA since I visited their shop at Christmas time and tried some of their over-ear and on-ear headphones and was very impressed by the sound quality, plus they're Glasgow based like me and I love to support a local business.

I had high expectations from these guys and glad to say I wasn't disappointed. I've been testing them with different file formats and mediums to try and get as wide a perspective as possible.

First I tested with mp3 files, I got some song's which I have some duplicate mp3's of with different compression formats. I started with some Belle and Sebastian (thought I'd keep it all Glaswegian). I compared 3 different mp3 files of Boy With the Arab Strap bit rates as 128, 256 and 320 kbps. They're also different compression formats, the 256 and 320 both sounded excellent, the 128 sounded trashy, but anything that low bit-rate is going to. But the two higher bitrate files sounded excellent, good warm rich sound and well rounded. I then thought to get a proper comparison I would compare it to the 12" vinyl and the mp3's were really standing up well against it through the MA450i's.

I then decided to test out more vinyl through them and the results were excellent. I tried old vinyl, new vinyl and all sorts of styles from reggae, disco, electro, 80's charts, 90's dance and it was like heaven, the high quality shone through.

I next went back to my computer and tried some wav's and same story, great sound reproduction.
Bass reflex on these are great, you can almost feel it, and unlike many other in-ear phones, this isn't at the peril of loosing definition at higher frequencies.

The last thing I did was see how loud I can push these, Put it this way...they could go louder without cracking up than I can!

Overall the sound compares to my Seinnheiser HD-25's really well, in fact, I think it may verge on surpassing them. Considering these cost 100 less than my seinheisser's I'm happy with that!

The only thing left to talk about is the noise isolation. Let's put it this way, I'm listening to music on quite low volume while I type this out and I can't hear my very loud keyboard, my house-mate has just walked down our very squeeky stairs and I couldn't hear it, the snug excellent fit from these really blocks out almost all external noise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than my sennheisers..., 8 July 2012
Looking for a replacement for my sennheiser earphones I settled on RHA, after hearing some rave reviews and I have to say the set have really impressed me. I used to be a sound engineer for theatrical productions and always relied on sennheiser in the past. I have over-ear Panasonic,'s and the sennheisers earphone's these are replacing and the sound compares favourably to both. Tracks with base heavy instruments really come out well and I feel that the earphones add a certain richness to the tracks.

I also really like the features-the fabric cable was a nice touch. I have really small ears and normally find it quite difficult to find a good fit. These have seven sizes of ear tip and the smallest ones are a perfect fit- I can wear them during the day and then to the gym and they stay comfortable. I found the tip quite difficult to get on but now they're on, I know they won't fall off, which is something I always worried about with my last set. Having seven tips also means I have spares which is great in consideration of the fact that this was a real worry with my sennheisers as there was no replacement sets.

I don't really like remotes and have actively avoided earbuds with them as the weight annoys me but I really like this one and find it very intuitive; I actually find myself using it.

Overall, I really like these and am really impressed with how good these are for price. I would definitely recommend this pair to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best in-ear buds under 100, 16 Oct 2012
I ordered these earphones and good free delivery and the actual product in 3 days direct from the company. The packaging is smart and not OTT. Being impatient I took them straight out with the ear adaptors that were already on and plugged them into my iPhone. First impressions where of good bass but a wee shrill in the top end. As with all speaker-type products the drivers always sound better after they are run in. I then foraged around for my IPod, plugged in the RHA's, turned the volume to max and then left them in a cupboard overnight with them on.
The next day, I did the same again after charging my IPod, although this might have been overkill. I then paired them up with the most appropriate sized buds (there are 7 to choose from) and then put on my favourite playlist. A few pertinent points are listed below:

1. They sounded so much better, once run in and I think is very important to do this before making judgement. If you are coming from listening to Apple's own earphones then this will be the best 40 pounds you will spend.

2. The soundstage is very well balanced with good treble, excellent midrange and appropriate bass. Not bass heavy, but not lacking either and certainly not the monotone bass some cheap headphones seemed to produce in the name of more bass. They are suited to more types of music although dance fans may be bettered served using Beats by Dre. I listen to mostly acoustic/indie music but still have a large collection of dance/trance tracks form the 90's and 00,s (still trying to cling into my youth!).

3. I have an all Linn system as my home reference hi-fi unit so I hope this makes me a wee bit qualified to comment on sound quality.

4. Prior to purchasing these I was about to purchase Beats by Dr Dre Tour In-Ear Headphones for 120. Whilst as a direct comparison the Beats are better earphones (more cohesive treble and midrange) the bass was just a littlle overwhelming. I thought the RHAs were better balanced in that respect. In the end the Beats had that bit more drive and just had that quality to make your feet tap along which is no mean feat, but I did think this may fatigue after while. Even if the RHAs were a 100, I suspect I would have plumped for them given my own music tastes.

5. The noise isolation feature is absolutely brilliant. When they are on and the music is playing you genuinely cannot hear anyone in the room speak or the rumbling of the train is very distant. You must take the time to fit the right size of earphones and they are directional so make sure they are sitting right in your ear. I believe this approach is better than active noise cancellation as it negates the need for more hardware. Engineers of refined cars would rather try and curb the harshness/noise at the source rather than dealing with it once it has filtered into the cabin. The design of these headphones in this respect is by far the best I have ever tried.

6. These phones are very discreet and one of the reasons I bought them too. I just didn't want to advertise to my fellow commuters I have very expensive earphones on.

Negatives, just a couple. The so claimed anti-tangle properties of the braided wires isn't great. The Beats are much better in this respect. The case is also a wee bit of a disappointment being just a wee felt pouch with a drawstring. However, they have obviously spent most the money in the engineering of the product.
In summary, an absolutely blinding product for the price. I have been on nights out where a round of drinks have cost more than this. Can't say fairer than that. Buy, let them run in and thoroughly enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound and value in a comfortable and well-designed earphone, 30 Jun 2012
Length:: 3:26 Mins

RHA has recently introduced the MA450i earphone.

I own the similar-in-sound RHA earphone, the MA350 but the MA450i has several notable enhancements. The MA450i earphone has a longer, 1.5 meter cable. That's .3 meters longer than the MA350 cable and the added length is a welcome enhancement. However, the most significant enhancement in this earphone is the addition of an inline, omni-directional microphone, remote and volume control. This enables you to answer phone calls on your iPhone while listening to your earphones as well as pause and start music, change tracks and engage Voice Control on your iPhone (A double-click of the inline remote will change tracks. Holding the inline remote button for a couple seconds will engage the Voice Control function of your iPhone)

Common to both the MA350 and MA450i is:
-16-22k frequency response
-103db sensitivity
-16ohm impedance
-3.5mm gold-plated connector
-earbuds machined from aircraft grade aluminum
-fabric braided, reinforced cable

A unique feature of the MA450i and apparently common to RHA headphones is the braided cable. In this earphone, the cable is 1.5 meters in length. The braiding on the cable helps prevent tangling of the cord and it is quite effective in that regard.

The MA450i includes 7 different sizes of ear tips which nearly guarantees a precise fit. Many other earphones will include only 2 or 3 different sized tips The aluminum earbud has a ribbed end which really grabs and holds the tip on the earbud once you've installed the tip making it virtually impossible for the tip to accidentally slip off. And since these fit so closely in the ear canal, they do a very effective job of isolating outside sound. Since it is passive sound reduction, it won't completely eliminate external noise from entering your ear but it does a very very good job at reducing it. Another benefit, at least to people that may be near you while you are listening to your earphones is that the sound-isolation properties of the MA450i also prevent most of the sound from exiting your ear canal too, so you aren't as much as a distraction to people nearby as you blast music into your head.

I found the quality of sound from these earphones to be excellent and at such a reasonable price. There is a quality of construction evident in these earphones and they are backed with a 3-year warranty. Bass response was very good and without boominess. I felt that mid's and high frequencies were well balanced and the overall sound was very nice and non-fatiguing even after hours of continuous listening. The earbuds are very lightweight, have a small size and fit closely to your head so you don't look like a cyborg with large protruding objects projecting out of your ears.

I've owned many different brands of earphones, including Shure, Altec-Lansing and some no-brand. These are such a good sounding earphone for the price that you may forget how little you paid for them,. They fit comfortably, yet snugly in the ear canal and don't slip out very easily. I frequently use these when exercising and bicycling and they never slip out of my ears even when I begin to sweat.

Of course, if you want to purchase these earphones and you don't own an iPhone, iPod or iPad, you can still use them but with reduced functionality. They'll still sound sweet to your ears but you will lose most of the abilities to control volume and the other functions available to iPhone, iPod and iPhone users. For you, the MA350 may be a better choice because the sound quality is equally stellar wit the 350's. However the cord length on the MA350 is shorter by .3 meters.

I really enjoy these earphones and the added functionality of the inline remote and volume control, plus a 3-year warranty, seal the deal for me. I can't really come up with any meaningful negatives with the earphones. The inline control may possibly be a bit too close to the ear but that's sort of a personal preference. I would also prefer a more obvious designation for the left and right earbud. These are minor quibbles however and overall these are just fantastic.

RHA provided me with a set of MA450i earphones for review.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ONLY earphones you'll need., 4 Oct 2012
I purchased the RHA MA-350 last year, and they have been the best earphones I've ever owned - so when the MA450 were released, I didn't hesitate to buy. Of course, they are worth every penny. Sound quality is amazing and with the remote and microphone, they're even better. However, I would still recommend you change the ear buds - even with this version, RHA provide you with a little box of optional ear buds, using your own ear bud will make a HUGE difference.
Another positive, RHA customer service are top notch. Mine arrived with a fault and a quick email, they sent me a bag to replace them - much appreciate. MUST BUY!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, Brilliant Sound., 4 July 2012
I must say, I'm delighted by the quality of these headphones. I've previously used a variety of over ear Sennheiser headphones, and whilst impressed, found them to be a little lacking in depth (not to mention having a fairly limited shelf-life: a problem I'm hoping these RHA buds won't have, particularly given the 3-year warranty included with the purchase). These MA-450is have proven to have a fantastic sound, regardless of the style of music I may be listening to: heavy bass is tackled adeptly, whilst the quiet-loud-LOUDEST style of a band like Mogwai is showcased the way it should be. The noise-cancellation on the buds is particularly useful in this regard: constant fiddling with the volume controls- a common nuisance with many of the other headphones I've tried- is not a problem I've had, regardless of the artist I may be listening to.

What has really struck me about these buds, however, is the comfort-factor. It's clear RHA have really gone the extra mile when it comes to ensuring the best possible customer experience: the MA-450is are lightweight, durable, and feel fantastic in the ear. I found the ear tips that came as standard to not quite fit: fortunately, RHA have taken care of such a minor quibble by providing a whopping SEVEN different sizes of tip, so after a wee bit of trial and error I now have a beatuifully fitting, comfortable pair of headphones that provide a fantastic sound and block out all but the harshest of sounds during my walk to work (a route that takes in a 15 minute jaunt down one of Glasgow's busiest roads!). The braided cable claims to be tangle-resistant: whilst I remain rather dubious, it must be said they do seem to remain less tangled than other headphones I've used before. I also like the touch of having a velour bag to pop them into, giving them a touch of class and sense of occasion with every use!

Overall, I can't sing the praises of RHA- and this product in particular- highly enough. It's great to see a local brand making such quality products, and I'll definitely be getting my money's worth with the MA-450is. For 40, you really can't go wrong. 5/5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value Earphones from RHA., 2 July 2012
I purchased these recently as I received an email from RHA letting me know they were available. I've never actually bought an RHA product before, but I did get in touch with them a while ago to ask about their over-ear headphones (CA-200). Luckily for them, one of the earbuds on my Sennheiser CX300s decided it had had enough of entertaining me and committed headphone suicide last week after a couple of months of usage (no noise from the left bud at all).

I decided to take a punt on the new RHA earbuds - the reviews for their other products, especially the in-ear earphones - make them seem almost too-good-to-be-true, but after a couple of days of usage, I'm a convert. The MA450i's are really, really good.

RHA do two kinds of earbud, based on my quick Amazon research, the 350 and these 450i's whose name features the ubiquitous lower-case `i' signifying their Apple Compatibility. I actually don't have an iPhone or iPod but I thought the extra 10 for better sound and the promise that the inline remote would work with my Samsung Galaxy S3 was a decent enough exchange. You also get LOTS of extra earbud tips compared to the 350, but more on that later.

I can't comment on the sound quality of the MA350's, though plenty of others have on their product page, but if they're anywhere near as good as the 450i's and you don't care about using the earphones with your phone, they're a massive bargain, as the 450i's, at 40, represent very good value.

The sound is incredibly clean and natural, bassy tracks sound bassy without seeming forced, vocals are clear and crisp and treble has just the right amount of lightness. The level of detail in music listened through the MA450is vs the Sennheisers is remarkable, everything just seems much better balanced and each element of tracks is defined and noticeable in a natural way.

I tried the 450i's with a good number of different styles of music, and whilst the headphones didn't seem to suit one style over another, neither was any style worse off than any other, so bassy rap tracks were just as impressive sounding as classical pieces which were in turn just as good sounding as guitar-heavy indie/rock songs.

I might be gushing about the sound quality, but I was genuinely, and delightedly surprised with the sound from these buds. Whether it's the `aerophonic' design they chat about on the side of the box or just decent components and build, RHA have got it right with the MA450i.

The build quality is good, and the two-tone tips with hints of orange look really smart when they're not in the ear. The aluminium buds have a high-gloss finish which I wasn't sure about at first, but am growing to like. The cable is fabric-wrapped, rather than the normal rubber, which I had in a pair of Aircoustic buds a few years ago. I don't know whether it's really `tangle-proof' but I prefer the texture and it seems a bit more robust than the normal flimsy rubber cable.

The remote and mic work well with the Galaxy S3, though I'm yet to test these aspects thoroughly, I'll come back to update once I have. I was pleasantly surprised to find they worked with my MacBook and iTunes/Skype for volume/track/call answering. Handy.

The buds come with a little velour bag, (tiny velour bags for everything!) and a little box with six additional pairs of tips. I tried out one of the larger pairs because I wasn't too sure about the fit on the pair which comes equipped and they're much better for my apparently slightly large ears. The other extra pairs will probably come in pretty handy when I lose one of the tips (unavoidable), though the fit of the tips on the bud is very snug.

In summary, I'm very pleased with this purchase. Having tested them at the gym and at work, I would absolutely recommend them to anyone looking for a decent set of headphones for a decent price. The MA450i cover so many different bases and do them all very, very well for a 40 set of headphones.

Definitely give them a try if you're looking for quality and don't want to be dishing out mad money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop the search..., 1 Feb 2013
Call off the sniffer dogs, send the cops home for tea and breathe a deep sigh of relief. It's all over.
These are the babies I believe you've been looking for.
Let me tell you why.
Having spent an embarrassingly large sum on phones over the last few years in a desperate attempt to squeeze every last drop out of the tiny digital music files that we're now reduced to, I seriously think there's nowhere else to go, all things considered.
Those things are, my player, my bit-rates, the production quality of the original source music and position in ear. Plus the possible run-in period. I'm not sure if other reviewers have taken all these variables into account in their judgement of these phones...which may be why there's a little discrepancy in views.
But let me tell you (and you'll have to take the other variable, my taste, into account here too), these RHA's are brain-jumpingly good. Especially for in-ears. There's warmth, detail, space and good imaging. They might not be 100% accurate and 'flat' as some audiophiles seem to like....but who gives a brownish drop of toilet. They're fun and engaging and make you want to keep listening to music. Even listening to streamed stuff via Spotify on the iphone is surprisingly good. And what's this about the bass being weak? What? WHAT? get a grip...get 'em properly in your ears and listen! It's the bass in these that really makes them. In fact, I suggest you put your EQ to treble booster on the RHA's...I've found this with nearly all earphones - you just don't seem to get any real detail otherwise.
A valuable piece of advice; it really isn't worth spending over 50-360 on Etymotics, Shures, Ultimate Ears, Senns, Klipsch, Monster Bras, Giveittomeyeahyeahyeahs or any other fantabulously named ear-thingys. You just ain't gonna squeeze anything else better out of your files. Or at least anything worth the extra bunce. You really aren't, you know.
One thing I'd say is, whisper it quietly, but I think I prefer the sound of the MA-350's slightly right now. It might be that they're burned in more - or it could be that I'm used to them - but I'll give these time and see if they give me that little bit more space/sound stage that I think they need. After all, the controls are useful. I've every faith.
Bye.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product and fantastic headphones for iPhone, 6 July 2012
I got these headphones recently and I am seeing a marked increase in quality and ease of use when using them with my iPhone, versus the headphones that originally came with it.

The voice quality from the other end of the line is vastly improved both by the noise isolation and the clarity of the sound. I've been reliably informed that the quality on the other end of calls has improved greatly, and the larger remote and volume buttons are much easier and more practical to use than the set I was using before.
The remote is further up the cable as well, meaning you won't have to dig around the top of your shirt and attract strange looks every time you want to answer a phone call or change music. There is a slider on the cable that functions to keep the divide as high as you want, I assume for this exact reason.

Aside from iPhone usage, these headphones provide fantastic sound quality. I did not appreciate what a difference that noise insulation makes to the volume and quality of music until I started using these. They came with a large range (four pairs) of differently-sized tips, so you can alter the level of noise protection depending on the ear, though I find the original set the most effective. Though I mainly listen to indie/acoustic music, the four or five good dance/dub tracks that exist also sound very good in these - they carry bass very well, without thrumming even on the highest volume.

The (very long) cable itself is fabric-coated, something that I had not seen before. However, in the time I've had them, these haven't tangled once, and there is no wear or bending around the base of the cable, where it attaches to the jack - the most common problem I have had with headphones in the past. The prominently advertised three-year warranty indicates that RHA made these headphones to last.

All in all, a fantastic set of headphones that are clearly designed and made with care and thought towards the end-user, a stark contrast to the quality and detail seen on more budget headphones, and in fact many of similar or greater price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 6 April 2014