on 25 August 2013
Great short story, extremely well written. I laughed aloud at everything I recognised - which being a similar age to Sally and a big fan of Julia, was a lot. Looking forward to the next novel!
on 21 June 2013
This is just a short story but it was clever and one you had to keep reading. I like this author and have read a few of her books now and will get more.
What a complete waste of time. Surely if were sitting quietly on a train and a truly horrible person sat down opposite (or even near) you, you would move - wouldn't you? I know I would. I did finish it as it was, thank heavens, a very short story, but it was just SO silly and annoying I deleted it from my Kindle before I threw it out the window.

I have come to the conclusion that Julia Crouch is just not for me, as this must be the thrid or fourth time I've tried to read her books.
on 22 December 2013
First of all my fault I didn't realise it was a short story. Was intrigued by the beginning and thought this might be good. How wrong was I! If I'm honest and of course it's all personal opinion, this is absolutely dreadful, woman on train recovering from birthday party, quiet coach, man sits opposite her encroaches on her space and generally annoys her with various actions. that's it. won't spoil the end but I felt that's time I'll never get back.
on 25 October 2012
Having just read and enjoyed Cuckoo, I was looking for a new Julia Crouch novel to read and found this short story free to download on Kindle. Strangeness on a Train was written by the author in a writer-in-residence tenure and it involves a 50-year-old woman's trip on the London to Harrogate train. Although a little predictable, I enjoyed the story and would recommend to others.
on 22 March 2014
When I first started reading it I thought it was going to be a sort of early Dahl tales of the unexpected type of story. How we'd love some new ones like his! But it's a story about a vulgar man on a train, it's ok if you fancy a quick read in your dinner hour.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 August 2013
A great little tale of what could happen on a train, especially if you are one of those annoying people mentioned and one of your fellow passengers is not feeling as full of good will and cheer as they might normally do. I enjoyed it.
on 17 April 2014
I choose this rating because on the whole this story was good all be it short! The surprise ending makes it deserve the four stars,I'm sure if you looking for a short read while on a train etc then this is the one to read.
on 29 October 2013
Nice quiet lady minding her own business on a train has her space invaded by horrible uninhibited man. Eventually, and very quietly, she retaliates.
Well observed, well written. Perfect length for a short story.
on 12 November 2012
An interesting short story that led me to wondering just what did happen! Knowing the railway line and imagining it happening, we've all met characters like that before! Download and read on your next train journey!