5.0 out of 5 stars Read on a train
Published on 19 July 2012 by Alan Pipes

1.0 out of 5 stars Eminently forgettable!
I had to check my orders to see if I really had ordered it. A short (thankfully) story about a disgusting fellow passenger on a train. I kept asking myself why she didn't just move to another seat. Not even funny but perhaps I am too far past 50 to appreciate it.
Published 14 months ago by CJS

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Read on a train, 19 July 2012
Alan Pipes "Alan (Fred) Pipes" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Strangeness on a Train (Kindle Edition)
We've all been annoyed by someone on a train journey, especially when you're in the 'quiet' zone, and Julia Crouch's heroine is nursing a hangover from last night's birthday celebration from hell. This is the ideal length to read between Leeds and Harrogate (where Julia was train writer in residence) and if you get held up by leaves on the line, why not download Cuckoo her first novel, which she manages to slip in to the story. You'll laugh, you'll gasp! You'll want more.

4.0 out of 5 stars STRANGENESS ON A TRAIN, 19 July 2012
Amanda "sac" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Strangeness on a Train (Kindle Edition)
This very short but concise free download is about fifty year old Sally, a woman on the edge, who is taking a stressful train ride from London to Harrogate to visit her aunt.
An enjoyable quick read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strangeness On A Train, 1 Jun 2014
Knobby (Darlington, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Strangeness on a Train (Kindle Edition)
A reasonable short story.

Sally, a stressed fifty year old, is traveling from London to Harrogate to visit her aunt.

Sally has a lot on her mind and desperately tries to control herself and not react to everything that's annoying her.....

A decent, well written short story but with a predictable ending.

1.0 out of 5 stars Eminently forgettable!, 13 Sep 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars DIDN'T WANT IT TO END!, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Strangeness on a Train (Kindle Edition)
I hadn't realized this was a short story - thought it was a full novel - so was really disappointed when it ended as I was really enjoying it! Will definitely read The Cuckoo by the same author.

1.0 out of 5 stars boring, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: Strangeness on a Train (Kindle Edition)
Not interesting at all. I wouldn't read another book by this author and I think it would be more suited to a teenager

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 19 April 2014
This review is from: Strangeness on a Train (Kindle Edition)
lovely little read.some of us might like to do what the lady passenger did on her travels. well done her.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strangeness on a train, 17 April 2014
This review is from: Strangeness on a Train (Kindle Edition)
I choose this rating because on the whole this story was good all be it short! The surprise ending makes it deserve the four stars,I'm sure if you looking for a short read while on a train etc then this is the one to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Funnily enough I think I would have preferred to hear the parts that this story didn't tell rather than what it did!, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Strangeness on a Train (Kindle Edition)
This story takes place on a train journey taken by a middle aged woman to visit her elderly Aunt. The middle aged woman in question is Sally and her journey takes place the day after a family meal in celebration of her fiftieth birthday. Feeling a little hung over Sally is not at her best. She then has the misfortune to be joined by a beyond obnoxious passenger who plonks himself opposite her seat despite the train being virtually empty.

The story alternates between happenings on her journey and the events of the birthday dinner the previous night. I found that when the story focused on the dinner I longed to learn more about Sally's estranged husband and her four adult children. The family dynamic and the brief glimpses of the personalities of her family was really interesting. As far as the journey was concerned: as the behaviour of Sally's fellow passenger worsened but she remained steadfastly in her seat I couldn't help but think that most anyone in that situation would have switched seats pretty sharpish.

The writing is good and laced with gentle humour plus the author looks to have a wonderful knack for characterisation. But for me the story bubbling away in the background really was more interesting and I kept wistfully wishing that it had taken centre stage. The unsettling end to the story reinforced this desire.

A 3* read.

2.0 out of 5 stars A short story, 22 Mar 2014
This review is from: Strangeness on a Train (Kindle Edition)
When I first started reading it I thought it was going to be a sort of early Dahl tales of the unexpected type of story. How we'd love some new ones like his! But it's a story about a vulgar man on a train, it's ok if you fancy a quick read in your dinner hour.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›