5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed
I have always shied away from these as being un-necessary as I have broadband at home; however after borrowing one from a friend while I was in Uganda, I was impressed that I could access the internet while in the bush. On getting home I looked into buying one just to use on my trips away from home in England.

The T-mobile one seems to be the best as they seem...
Published on 29 Dec. 2012 by Malcolm Street

1.0 out of 5 stars cant make it work on my netbook
i purchased this when my phoneline and internet was down..it worked with my laptop....\BUT not my Sony Vaio netbook...i had hoped to be able to use it with the netbook when we are not at home..but we will not be able too..
Published on 6 Nov. 2012 by angeleyes

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 29 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Huawei E3131 3GB PAYG Mobile Broadband USB Dongle (Electronics)

The T-mobile one seems to be the best as they seem to have better coverage in remote areas. In one of my haunts O2 stops working 20 miles away, Vodaphone is intermittent at best, but Orange/T-Mobile is OK.

Most Pay-as-you-go modems need you to pay for an entire month, but this one seems to allow me to decide whether I want to pay for a month upfront at £15, a week at £10 or a day at £2. I intend to use it for a day at a time and therefore it should work out cheaper for occasional use. This one does come with 3 months as part of the price so I wont really know until this time is up.

I did have some difficulty in setting it up - opening the device was hard and it was not obvious which way the SIM card went in, although if you do get it wrong your laptop will tell you that the SIM is not present. If you have a home wireless network make sure that this is turned off, or move out of range, before you try to use the device as your laptop will automatically use you existing connection you will never see the set up screen. After this set up was plain sailing. The acid test comes tomorrow when I take it into the wilds...

Update March 2013
Well, I have used it over the past 3 months without any hitch - it connects quickly everytime and is fast. No drop outs were noticed. I have sat in the wilds of the Yorkshire Dales picking up emails and using the internet on my laptop just like I would do at home - Amazing!

4.0 out of 5 stars good value, 17 Mar. 2013
Very easy to set up. Worked first time. My only niggle is the t-mobile fair use policy because although 2Gb is a lot of data should you exceed it in any 1 month the usage is not reset until the first of the following month. But at least you can still surf the Internet and send receive e-mails, just restricts downloads. Quite fast on 3G so all in all would recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars cant make it work on my netbook, 6 Nov. 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Good emergency connection when your broadband provider fails you, 19 Feb. 2015
I would say that this is a life saver when my dismal bt connection fails, I live in the country so connection is very bad - the dongle works better than my bt connection most times! - but when you have just a measly 1mb of download from your provider - anything is better!
I was really tempted to live off t mobile at one point - but the download limit is pretty dire
In fact, I only use it for browsing a bit and emails, within 2 days (with a 7 day payment) I had used up my limit (that's about 4 hours of browsing - one teeny jpeg image upload and 10 emails!) - so totally rubbish there
Excellent for connection when you need it - but download allowance is rubbish, I can only think what eats up the allowance, is when you browse online and the adverts pic up and display on the webpages - this might be the cause
But if you just browse and email - it's perfect - because even if you use up the allowance - you can still email and download, which is very strange as that is all I do anyway LOL
TOTALLY not any good for watching youtube, downloading programmes or other large files of course

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 29 Jun. 2013
I have now tried twice to use a new network for mobile broadband, and again I have been let down. If there was any pre-loaded data on this dongle sadly I never got to use it as I didn't even get past the user registration and password & username stage - every time I tried to create both of these they were rejected countless times and I kept having to re-enter my name and address. Eventually I lost patience and gave up.

Thanks T-Mobile, you've just made me waste £30+ of my money. Extremely disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 8 July 2014
Good product

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 18 Jun. 2014
Very good for occasional web browsing, good value, had a few now better than contract and portable, definitely would have another

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine with Ubuntu 14.04, 12 Jun. 2014
I tried the E3131 with two different laptops (Toshiba and Dell). With the Toshiba, I had to plug it in twice to get it to work; with the Dell it worked the first time but threw up an error message. Both worked fine after that. Appears as a second Ethernet connection.

5.0 out of 5 stars dongle great condition, 21 Mar. 2014
the dongle is what i expected it was in neat condition and works great i have always used tmobile and prpaps when saw it it looked like the one i use to have great quick service thanks

3.0 out of 5 stars T-mobile modem, 31 Oct. 2012
The modem itself performs reliably as it was designed to function, but with variable and unstable connection to the T-Mobile network, despite my postcode being confirmed as being in an "excellent" reception area. This is not the fault of the modem, but of problems with T-Mobile network.

I wrote three times to the United Kingdom Head Office in Sunderland, and never even received the courtesy of a reply.

I then went to the "top of the house" and wrote to the Head Office, Customer Services, PO Box 37380, Albuqueque, New Mexico, USA NM87176, from whom I received competent support in the resolution of my account and PIN code problems from one Argelia Robbin, which magically solved all my ongoing problems. I am extremely grateful to this lady, and she is definitely on my Christmas card list!
As for the customer services department in Sunderland, I expect the majority of the foreign staff, at this establishment, will now be on their way back to Eastern Europe, from whence they originated, after Argelia requested me to furnish her with copies of all relevant correspondence between myself and the Sunderland office, which I did, with alacrity.........Mike.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›